power supply - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2006, 4:05 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Cool power supply

thinking about getting a gps,
not decided on any type at the moment although the garmin 2610 is looking favourite,

my question is this...all seem to come with a 12v adapter but i assume this will be car lighter size fitment,.the external socket on my 1997 k1200rs appears to be a lot smaller than that, and if so are there any adapters available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2006, 6:04 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by k12ncw
thinking about getting a gps,
not decided on any type at the moment although the garmin 2610 is looking favourite,

my question is this...all seem to come with a 12v adapter but i assume this will be car lighter size fitment,.the external socket on my 1997 k1200rs appears to be a lot smaller than that, and if so are there any adapters available?

Get your adapters here -> http://www.powerletproducts.com/products/cables.php

- ebill
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2006, 6:52 am

You could also purchase a kit specific for motor cycle that has the bare wire to connect directly to the battery.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:22 am
Addict

I'd never trust the BMW socket to be that watertight when you have something plugged into it, and the plug sticks out. Better to hardwire in with a separate fuse. Alternatively for testing, buy some of the plugs. They also come in handy for oem tenders, tire inflators inspection lights etc. Replace the car plugs. My 'BMW oems' are Wipac brand, screw connections so no soldering. The centre pin is battery positive on our bikes. Of course if you want to switch between a car and bike, then an adaptor, or make your own if you've got the bmw plugs. If you buy or make one, you can use it with camera battery chargers etc.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:34 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill
Get your adapters here -> http://www.powerletproducts.com/products/cables.php

- ebill
....or buy the actual plug from a Hella dealer (as I did).

Bob.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2006, 2:54 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

i'm probably being a bit dumb here but...
i assume when you talk about hardwiring to the bike there is a nice bit of kit available so that when quickly disconnected there is no unsightly wires hanging around. you might guess by now that i'm new to this gps lark, but the main worry i have on tour is the next petrol station and this is the only solution.......jeez £500 just to avoid running out of petrol
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2006, 3:30 pm

Garmin sells the kit here a picture. You pass the bare wire under the plastic on the left side of the bike to the battery with an in line fuse.

Here's a pic with details of what it includes:

Motorcycle Mounting Kit Includes:
Mounting bracket:
• Mounting bracket as shown below
• Mounting screws & nuts
• Security screwdriver (with handy keychain connector)
Power/audio cable:
• Bare-wire power/audio cable shown below (standard 2.5 mm mono female headphone connector to plug your headphone into)
• Mounting instructions.

All you have to do is have a little velcro tape to roll the couple of inches up when not mounting the unit.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorcycle mounting kit.gif
Views:	41
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	1722  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2006, 5:06 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by k12ncw
i'm probably being a bit dumb here but...
i assume when you talk about hardwiring to the bike there is a nice bit of kit available so that when quickly disconnected there is no unsightly wires hanging around. you might guess by now that i'm new to this gps lark, but the main worry i have on tour is the next petrol station and this is the only solution.......jeez £500 just to avoid running out of petrol
Hardwiring in this sense simply means wiring in another plug straight to the battery. This is the simplest solution to avoid mucking with the bike's electronics. How neatly it is done, and how free from "unsightly" the wiring looks, is up to the installer.

As for a nice kit being available, why bother? I mean. just how hard is it to solder a pair of wires to a connector and run them to the battery?

Bob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode