Garmin 2620 vs 2720 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2006, 5:22 pm Thread Starter
ecb
Just saying hey

Smile Garmin 2620 vs 2720

I've read mixed reviews on the Garmin 2720, but have read good reviews on the 2620 in the past. Which one is the best for car and motorcycle? Whats the best way to mount a Garmin on an RS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 9:10 am

Skip both and go with the 276c

Just my 2 bits but I just got a Garmin 276c for my 04 K. The 276c replaced a Garmin V. I also ordered a 512mb chip. I used a ram mount system to mount it to the bike. I got the whole thing at TVNAV.com. Good price and I am very happy with the unit. Does everything and then some that the V did. Check it out . I know this doesn't answer your specific question but I figured this might help.

John
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 9:35 am

Ram Mounts Work Nicea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecb
I've read mixed reviews on the Garmin 2720, but have read good reviews on the 2620 in the past. Which one is the best for car and motorcycle? Whats the best way to mount a Garmin on an RS?
I mount a Garmin 2610 using a Ram Ubolt [get larger U] with 1 inch ball from the left clipon. Also a 2 inch Ram arm that clamps onto the Ubolt and the Ram ball mount attached to the back of a Garmin cradle specifically for the 2610 [I like the way the Garmin cradle captures the plug end vs the Ram cradle].

3 mounting pieces from Ram. 1 mounting piece from Garmin.

This centers the unit nicely and the line of sight to the instruments and warning lights is preserved. I believe the 2610 and the 2720 are similar in size. It is somewhat out of your line of sight [if otherwise mounted higher] but I've not had a problem.

Marc
Prescott AZ
2008 K1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecb
I'm pretty sure the 2620 is one of the few models that has an installed hard-drive which is susceptible to vibration and shock. Most motorcyclist avoid the 2620 for that reason. A 2610 is basically the same unit and with a 2 GIG flash memory card installed, you can load the entire US maps into the unit. My biggest complaint with the 2610 is that the screen is a little hard to read in direct sunlight.

I don't know much about 2720 other than what I've read. From what I hear they've changed the format a bit on the 2720 which has kind of dumbed down the interface.

I currently use the 60CS which I think is a fantastic unit. Only real shortfalls are the memory is limited to 56MB and the screen although very useable, crisp and clear in all conditions, is a little smaller than I'd prefer.

The 60CS really does everything I need in a GPS and in fact is more useable for more situations than the 26XX series (i.e. it does everything from bike to car to hiking, cycling, and marine use. In addition to all the normal GPS functions it has a barometric altimeter and true compass. It's easy to mount anywhere, it can run for hours on 2 AA batteries or from an external power source, it's highly water and weather resistant and even floats if dropped in water). However, I do like the larger "touch" screen of the 26XX series and the 2GIG of flash memory available. Despite it's very few shortcomings, my next GPS will most likely be a 2610 as the price comes down in the wake of so many new models coming out.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecb
If you use the 2620, I would highly recommend a vibration absorbing mount as shown below in order to protect the micro hard disc (MHD) drive. I use a 2620 since I owned it before I bought the motorcycle, but if I had it to do from scratch, I'd go with a 2610 with a 2GB CF memory card that effectively functions like a vibration-resistant 2620.

Rusty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin 2620 Mount.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	2504  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:40 am
"DELIVERS"

If you want the latest and greatest, the 2820 comes out next month!

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 1:55 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
If you want the latest and greatest, the 2820 comes out next month!
And if you want to save hundreds of dollars and just need a GPS to be a GPS, the 2610 is available now.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass (maybe it just comes naturally).
Seriously, I'm just trying to point out that newer models keep coming out that cost more and more, but often they don't "do" much more or function much better than the previous and much less costly model of the same type.

It's all a personal choice of course. If you need a GPS that has built in XM, Traffic, Weather, Headline News, HBO, Pay Per View, On-Demand and a Vanity Mirror or if just having the latest (not necessarily the greatest) or newest gadget available is your thing, then by all means, pay no attention to my opinion.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2006, 5:17 pm

You'll find some comparisons here: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/forumd...sprune=-1&f=51

along with some pix of y RAM mount: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3125

HTH,
hank
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 10:25 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5lam
...then by all means, pay no attention to my opinion.
Whue,...this thread got quiet fast. Apparently I struck a cord with my last sentence.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2006, 12:23 pm

I use this mount from Gadget Guy on my 04 KGT. I just completed 1460 miles in AR and the mount/GPS worked flawlessly.

http://www.gadgetguy.net/PhotoGaller...stallation.htm

David

DaMu
Houston, TX
04 K1200GT Grey Green

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode