Nuvi 350 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2006, 1:58 pm Thread Starter
DSS

Nuvi 350

Anyone have experience with Garmin NUVI 350?
Mounting?
Durability?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2006, 4:38 pm
Veteran

I bought one 2 weeks ago...Lovin' this lil' critter.. Writing a full review of it for my next newsletter...

What bike are you mounting it on...?? There are TWO easy ways to mount it on an S. Got any specific questions?

as far as duarabilty.. too soon to tell but I'll surmise that it's nowhere in the same league as those brick-size versions.. like the 2730 or 2820..which are also water-proof. I would imagine you could drop those on concrete and they'd still work... but they are HUGE compared to the Nuvi which is why I avoided them...

Just got back from a trip up to New England and the Nuvi worked flawlessly.. it's my new best friend.

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2006, 5:57 pm Thread Starter
DSS

Allllllright, word from the Pirate, is all I need. I was wondering when someone would speak up. Glad it was you.

I'm mounting on a K1220S. I am considering a Wunderlich Multipod mount. I just bought the Wunderlich Power Sport-ego handlebar conversion. The boys in Calif say the Multipod mounts easily on one of the handlebar bracket clamps.

If you have any other suggestions let me know. I'm always happy to do business with neighbors and family businesses.

Thanks for the word.

Glad to hear you like the Nuvi. It looked great to me, good size and easy to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2006, 9:00 pm
Veteran

So far I've tried TWO different mounting methods on my S.. Not sure how the second one would translate to the bars you are talking about. Guess it depends on where you want yours mounted... Down low.. or up high..

The first method was godawful simple but after I tried it for a few miles I decided not to go that way. You know the suction cup swivel windshield mount that comes with the Nuvi?? It's a KILLER mounting device for a car windshield but if you have a painted battery cover or in MY case.. a Carbon Fiber panel with a slick as glass finish.. the suction mount will lock on to it just below the triple clamp for a PERFECT mount..and the Nuvi LOCKS on to it so there's no worry of the Nuvi coming off the mount. Virtually the same place as the optional BMW mount... I doubt if it would work on the factory plastic piece as it's kind of pourous. While this position worked fine, I found that I didn't like it being out of my line of sight when riding. I'd have to take my eyes off the road too long for the readings to register... I guess if you are using in helmet speakers.. this position would be fine.. So far I haven't added speakers but I will.

The second way is much more user friendly at least for me.. I tried my Nuvi velcro'd to one of the ZTechnik handlebar mounts over on the right hand side just in front of the reservoir and found the position just about perfect.. and in my line of sight. The only downside of this is.. the Nuvi flip-out antenna is on the back so velcro won't work. So.. what to do??... My idea is simple. I have ordered a second suction cup mount..(Got it on Ebay for $20) I ONLY need it for the Nuvi locking mechanism on it. I'm going to take this locking section and graft it on the the Z mount. This would allow me to mount it on the right bar and have it where it'll lock into place and remove via a single release button...

I'll take pics when the new mount arrives. It should be perfect and easy to do..and cheap.

Didn't mean to ramble on... Very excited about finally having a GPS

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2006, 9:05 pm

I'm considering a gps and I already have a streetpilot that I use in my car, but I'm wondering - with a setup like you discuss with the nuvi (or any non waterproof device), what do you do if you run into an unexpected rain shower?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2006, 10:16 pm
Veteran

Speaking for myself.. I'd either take it off and put it in my pocket, or do what I've been doing with my radar detectors for 20 years.. carry around a ziplock bag and simply slip it over the unit...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode