2820 + voice comm -- best solutions? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2006, 8:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2820 + voice comm -- best solutions?

Hey everyone,

I'm planning to get a Garmin 2820 as my first GPS for my 2003 K12RS. It sounds like a great unit, with MP3 plus Bluetooth to connect to a phone.

What I'm wondering is the best way to integrate voice communication -- bike-to-bike and pillion chat? I currently have a Treo 650 phone and a Cardo ScalaRider Bluetooth headset for phone only.

My dream setup would be to have:
- The Garmin 2820 for GPS and MP3, and phone connected over Bluetooth.
- My Treo 650 in the tank bag connected to the Garmin for phone.
- Some kind of unit in the tank bag that allows for PTT bike-to-bike and VOX pillion comm, and takes the Garmin stereo output, and is muted during chatter.
- A radio (Kenwood?) for bike-to-bike in the tank bag.
- A Bluetooth headset for me and the passenger that allows for music listening + voice. I don't think this exists yet though, so wired headsets would be fine as long as it worked with the above.

It looks like an Autocom Active-Plus with and 2 headsets and a Motorola radio will do the trick. The Intaride RP1 Duo looks interesting too, and well-priced, but I haven't heard much about it yet. It's a bummer that the new Chatterbox isn't available yet.

It sounds like the Autocom's BT adapter is only for phone connections, in which case the Garmin already has that covered with its Bluetooth integration, correct? Is this all as "simple" as hooking the Garmin and radio to an Autocom, and headsets to the Autocom and everything works?

I'm curious if anyone has tackled something similar and what they're using and how it all integrates, what are the downsides, and what are all the pieces they ended up purchasing. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JLane; Jul 15th, 2006 at 8:29 pm. Reason: missing info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2006, 8:46 pm Thread Starter
Noob

"Liberty"

I just noticed on the Intaride site that it looks like they have a new Bluetooth system coming out called "Liberty" that looks like it will be an interesting device!

http://www.intaride.com/usa/liberty.html

Of course, no details on price or availability yet... :banghead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode