Nuvi Mounted on K1200S: MY Way - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2006, 6:02 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Talking Nuvi Mounted on K1200S: MY Way

Finnaly got all the parts in yesterday to make my "hybrid" mount for the NUV! on my S. (see attached pics) Essentially.. I took the locking mechanism off the factory Garmin windshield mount and grafted it to one of the ZTechnik Tech mounts... Works like a charm.. Right in my field of vision... locks into place in 2 seconds.. unlocks with a push of a button... Doesn't block any instrumentation.. makes for longer lasting erections.

Full report to come in my next newsletter.. Will post it here soon. Thx all for the advice. Very happy with this little bastage.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nuvi6.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	2975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nuvi7.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	2976  

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 2:02 pm
DSS

Very clean install. Looks good. Great looking little deVice.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:35 pm

That looks great. Isn't that unit not waterproof though? What are your thoughts for motorcycle use on that unit vs. the 2820 or 378?? I'm considering upgrading from a 2720. I want the XM radio and weather/traffic. Thanks for your help.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 9:04 am Thread Starter
Veteran

You are correct, Matt.. It is NOT waterproof as that was waaay down on my list of prerequisites..I perhaps ride in the rain 2 days a year... My V1 isn't waterproof either yet I've been using it for years. I carry around a ziplock bag and just slip it over and zip it up should it begin to rain... or I just remove it and stow it if it's torrential...

As for the other units.. my main criteria was simple.. big screen.. sleek, sexy, small unit. There are lots of GPS units out there but most are the size of a freakin' brick which I wanted to avoid. If the size issue doesn't bother you, then the new big ones are much better suited for full time touring, water-proof, XM, weather, etc

If interested I have a full review of the Nuvi in my current newsletter at http://piratesk12site.net/newsletter.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmor
That looks great. Isn't that unit not waterproof though? What are your thoughts for motorcycle use on that unit vs. the 2820 or 378?? I'm considering upgrading from a 2720. I want the XM radio and weather/traffic. Thanks for your help.

Matt

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 9:32 am
Veteran

I really like how that looks Jerry... If I needed to do a GPS I think that's the ticket. Nice job.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 9:43 pm

Pirate - What about an K1200RS mount for the NUVI

Jerry,

looking at the pictures it doesn't look like Ztechnik makes a good mount for an RS set up. Am I missing somethng?

thanks
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 7:10 am

Jerry,

This is exactly what I am looking for. If you are thinking of selling a mounting kit, I want one.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 5:32 pm
Addict-oholic

Jerry, I got the mount today, and I got the Nuvi at the same time. How did you fasten the GPS to the mount? I can only assume that you used industrial strength velcro. Cute little unit....
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 6:04 pm
Addict-oholic

Jerry, I went to mount the ztechnik mount z6131 that I received from you today, and it does NOT fit my 2006GT. I tried all sorts of configurations on the brake and clutch reservoirs and the bolts do not line up.No way. Am I missing something or is this the wrong part for my bike??
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 6:11 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Well.. before I go through an explanation about how I attched my Nuvi to the mount..(I did NOT use velcro) ... lets figure out the OTHER issue first... I do NOT have access to a GT but Amber has spoken to ZTechnik TWICE and they tell us that the Z mount DOES fit the new GT... They even told us the NEW packaging will specify the 06 GT.. Do you have a pic of your handlebar area where the mount would go so I can see what it looks like??

However... I won't assume you are a moron and they are right. I am waiting for one of the Z people to call me personnally so I can pick his brain.. FYI.. you are the second GT guy I know of that says the Z mount won't fit that bike..

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Jerry, I went to mount the ztechnik mount z6131 that I received from you today, and it does NOT fit my 2006GT. I tried all sorts of configurations on the brake and clutch reservoirs and the bolts do not line up.No way. Am I missing something or is this the wrong part for my bike??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode