Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:48 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I wonder why they pulled the article.... Hmmmm
Well, what do you know? Recall anything from the article?

Mark
San Diego, CA
2006 K1200S
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 6:20 am Thread Starter
Statmaster

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - August 2, 2006… Building upon the success of its revolutionary Navigator, Navigator II and Navigator Plus GPS systems, BMW Motorrad has raised the benchmark in motorcycle navigation equipment yet again with the introduction of the Navigator III. (Pictured is the Navigator II.) Numerous new and unique features make it technologically superior to its predecessors and light years ahead of recently launched competitors’ products in the GPS market.
Key features of the new Navigator III include:

* Pre-installed street level mapping for the entire country
* Pre-installed map software displaying roads, points of interest, hotels, restaurants, BMW Motorrad dealers, gas stations, and more
* High resolution TFT screen for the best possible visibility - even in direct sunlight
* Text-to-speech (TTS) voice prompts that announce street names when providing directions
* Choice of 2D or advanced 3D map display with a “rider’s eye” view that continuously adjusts for maximum clarity
* A unique, individually configurable Track-Log with a 10,000 track point capacity that records the exact routes traveled, which can be modified and/or shared via PC
* Automatic turn-by-turn routing by choice of shortest time, shortest distance or by linear distance (off-road)
* Compass function for off-road navigation and areas where mapping doesn’t exist or is unreliable
* Extremely shock resistant construction with robust built-in memory specifically designed for motorcycle use
* Ability to plan (and store) routes and waypoints on the unit or on PC and share via email with others
* Voice directions in a choice of 12 languages
* Travel computer displaying current, average and maximum speed, elapsed time, time stopped and total time (including four trip odometers)
* Automobile accessories (universal dash mount, auto power supply with speaker, full featured remote control) are included; the unit is completely portable and can be used in any vehicle
* An Advanced Mount Cradle (unique to BMW) with four buttons allowing operation with gloved fingers
* Removable unit, which can be secured to the cradle with a special screwdriver or removed when parking the machine
* Fuel resistant housing to protect unit from accidental splashes while ‘gassing up’
* Bluetooth interface allowing wireless communication of voice directions and mobile phone calls to rider’s with helmets that are so equipped (compatible with over 200 phones)
* Multilingual owners manual
* BMW Motorrad Start-up Screen and attractive four-color BMW Motorrad Navigator III specific box

Satellite Reception
The reception power of the Navigator III’s satellite receiver has increased and now provides optimal position location even under difficult reception conditions, such as in a sea of high-rise buildings or in forest areas, where a direct ‘view’ to the satellite is impaired.

Included Accessories
The BMW Motorrad Navigator III includes a model specific motorcycle mounting bracket and complete maps of North America. All brackets are specifically designed for each BMW motorcycle and offer a professional solution that no universal bracket can hope to achieve. Also included are a bean bag mount, automobile power adapter with speaker and a full function IR remote; all for automotive use.

The 2007 BMW Motorrad Navigator III is available at authorized BMW motorcycle retailers. Priced at $1,399, it includes a three-year warranty.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:32 am
Rookie

Looks like the link is back, at least it's working for me.

Wonder why the ll is pictured and not the lll
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:33 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorwerk
Looks like the link is back, at least it's working for me.

Wonder why the ll is pictured and not the lll
I believe the III is exactly the same look as the II.

In reading the list of improvements, if you have upgraded the CF card on the II and loaded up all the maps, the III doesn't seem to be a huge improvement. A few nice things, 3D view, TTS and Blue Tooth phone, but nothing that for me is "got to have".

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 1:38 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

It's a huge improvement. The UI is completely different. Very intuitive. And once you get used the 3d view (or as I call it, the first person shooter view), you'll never go back.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:58 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	3195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	879
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	3196  

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2006, 8:21 am
Veteran

I have a concern about the III model.

From what I've gathered, the III (almost the same as the Garmin 2820) doesn't do waypoint navigation the same as the older models. You may only do "starting-point" to "ending-point" navigation; not "starting-waypoint" to "alternate-waypoint" to "end-waypoint" type of navigation.

This may enable one to do quicker routing with the unit in a standalone setup, but for those who like to do side routing it may be a problem. Not having the unit in front of me, I cannot say for certain although others in Garmin newsgroups have expressed their disappoint in the routing changes (2820).

I see in the specs there is no mention of the number of waypoints or vias stored in this new unit on the spec sheet above? No preselected vias?

No doubt the internal BMW Dealer waypoint list is still wrong (in the U.S.).

Tracklog increase is nice (although I rarely see a need for it) and the screen resolution is much better.

We need someone who has both the II and III models to confirm the routing ability or changes! I cannot fathom why they would not allow someone to do their own routing or alternates.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode