Garmin Quest 2 vs 2610 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2006, 6:21 am Thread Starter

Garmin Quest 2 vs 2610

I found a pretty good deal on both of these and was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the Quest 2 vs the 2610. I looked at the comparison on Garmins website and the features are pretty much the same except for the fact that the 2610 needs a compact flash card to load the U.S. streets. They both have all the features that I need (or want).
Don't need traffic, XM, bluetooth so I'm not even looking at the higher end Streetpilots (2720, 2730 or 2820)

What is everyone's thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2006, 1:47 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenglish
I found a pretty good deal on both of these and was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the Quest 2 vs the 2610. I looked at the comparison on Garmins website and the features are pretty much the same except for the fact that the 2610 needs a compact flash card to load the U.S. streets. They both have all the features that I need (or want).
Don't need traffic, XM, bluetooth so I'm not even looking at the higher end Streetpilots (2720, 2730 or 2820)

What is everyone's thoughts?
I have both and a few more. I seem to collect these things.

Honestly, I like the Quest over the BMW Navigator II+ (2610). I like the screen better on the Quest as it appears sharper than the 2610 and a more pleasant color than that bright yellow of the 2610. The Quest's size makes it convenient to put in your pocket while off the bike. The 2610 is too large to pocket so you need to leave it in the bags. Plus, the ability to program a route while boarded up in a motel room (Quest has it's own internal battery) during the rain makes the 2610 archaic since it needs bike power to run, or the AC power pack.

I also find the antenna on my Quest is more sensitive than the 2610 which seems to lose signals more often in dense forests. I can use the Quest indoors and get a satellite lock where the 2610 will say "No Satellites Found." Sure you can add an external antenna, but on a motorcycle that's already out in the elements it should not need to be done.

The Garmin Quest cradle allows the unit to couple with the bike's electrics and audio far easier than the StreetPilots. Quest snaps into the cradle and all the connections are made. The 2610 requires you to hold it upside down, slide in a multi-plug connector, get it situated just right for the cradle, and snap it all in. Same thing in reverse.

The only thing the 2610 has is more storage which is nice if you travel across many states, but that's the only advantage I see. The 2610 screen may be larger by maybe an inch, but the overall bulk makes it seem too large no matter where it is on the bike. The Quest seems to update faster if you are off route possibly due to the smaller memory or maybe a faster processor. Both sound alike if you rely on their voice navigation (which can get annoying at times as I often turn it off).

My 2610 has been to Garmin for repairs, mostly heat related. They have the ability to "Hot test the Touch-Screen" to see if it malfunctions. Mine did often and just gave me a little white cursor which required me to turn the unit off (reset) or hit ESC(ape) on the BMW cradle (the 2610 doesn't have that feature, only the BMW model with the cradle) to get it to resume. The 2610 has a window for the IR remote (why it is needed on a bike I don't know) which can be bothered at times by spurious signals. Some put tape over it.

The Quest seems to do a better job with Tracks too if that's important to you. You can also use customized waypoint symbols in the Quest whereas you cannot on the 2610. I believe you can add notes to your waypoints as well in the Quest (cannot recall offhand, but I believe mine has address additions and phone numbers that I added).

Fwiw, the BMW Navigator II+ Dealer waypoint list is a joke and shouldn't influence anyone's decision as to buy that model or not. Some dealers are gone, moved, or added. I don't think BMW USA has updated their list in maybe 8 years? There is a far better dealer waypoint list on on the web if you search for it. Too bad it cannot be edited into the poor one on the Navigator II+.

The Garmin Zumo coming out in October looks like a nice one too.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2006, 8:51 am
Noob

Garmin Quest

I agree with your assesment of the Quest. I have had one almost 2 years now and find it to be all I need. It has performed flawlessly in any weather or circumstances, goes in my pocket when stopped to eat or whatever, has better and more detailed info than the so called state of the art factory system in my car, has run up to 14 hours on a battery charge with power left over- I have not seen a need for external power but I have the stuff if I ever want to do it. Yes, the screen is small but the graphics are clear in sunlight or dark. All in all a great product at less than half the price of the newest sophisticated models out there. Bucky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode