Garmin 2820 with older Nav III cradle - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2006, 1:29 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Angry Garmin 2820 with older Nav III cradle

I lost my Garmong Nav III recently. So I went out and bought this new 2820, which is pretty cool, but It doesn't seem to work with my existing Nav III cradel. The cradle buttons don't work and the in and out audio jacks are blocked. Any help would be appreciated.

-Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2006, 3:16 pm
Veteran

I got the same answer from Garmin regarding switching the newer 2820 to the older BMW Navigator II+ mount or cradle. Seems it may be related to the new unit having stereo (Mp3 player) as well as an audio (mic) in and the older being mono. Their customer service tech (Brad) said there is no switching allowed from older to newer with regards to the cradle.

Guess I may wait for the Zumo in October.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2006, 4:31 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Older Cradle

Thanks for the info. Tried to get a new cradle from my BMW dealr but they say they are not available yet.

I wonder if there is a market for the older mount/cladle?

I thought about just keeping the existing cradle and saw of the whole lef side. Then I would have a good mount and access to the audio jacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2006, 8:55 pm
Veteran

I'm curious if your dealer can sell the cradle alone? I thought they only came with the entire unit like the Navigator II+ package?

Luckily, I got another cradle when the first Navigator II+ screen went bad. Garmin replaced it, but they just sent me the entire box with another bean-bag base, remote, and cradle. I did see that Garmin has a less sophisticated cradle for a motorcycle for the Garmin 2820 here: http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp...0%2D10495%2D00

I was hoping the thing would work with the 2820 as well saving me a bunch of money on the cradle or BMW Navigator III kit. Maybe just get rid of the BMW branded unit and go to the Zumo? The Zumo looks to be the replacement for the 2820 and BMW Navigator III kit already.

The BMW Dealer POI list in the new one was pretty bad. I don't know why BMW doesn't keep it updated or at least a download for their Navigator. You cannot even edit it once they load it. Many dealers were left out (like their biggest Ventura, CA one???) and many on it are no longer in business or moved. I'm thinking to hold off and just get the non-branded one like the Garmin Zumo and reload it with the list off the U.S. Dealer sites in the "Sticky" mentioned above. Maybe you could take the 2820 back and get a credit to buy the Zumo in a couple of months?

If I go to the Zumo as well, I'd have to sell the BMW Navigator too. Wonder if any Garmin dealers do a trade-up policy?

Last edited by GMack; Aug 11th, 2006 at 9:13 pm.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2006, 3:56 am
Just saying hey

Cool

Hi There...

Don't know if there is a market for BMW craddles but...I am actually looking for one !
So, if you want to sell it..I am your man.
By the way, the reason why I am interested is exactly the same as yours...

So I am a bit confused if you say that the Garmin 2820 would not work with the BMW craddle.

In fact, here are the info I could gather from BMW dealers as well as from the net :

- BMW craddle are the same (part number # 72607679219) for
Navigator II,Navigator II+ and Navigator III.
I could not confirm this, but seems logical.

- BMW craddle has a digital serial interface with the GPS receiver working at 14.4k bauds
while Garmin's 26xx,27xx, 28xx has a different speed (9.6k ? 18.2k???,dunno..)
Speed of the serial interface IS piloted by firmware of the GPS receiver.

- Lots of people are replacing Garmin's software by BMW software (available free on the
web will all tools for the upgrade)

- The 4 buttons of BMW craddle operate via this serial interface only. So my guess
is that a simple firmware upgrade would be enough to make the whole thing work.
BUT : Garmin has not released any firmware for their 2820 presently...The only
available is the one coming INTO the unit...so if any problem occur with the freshly
upgraded unit, you might be stuck waiting any release from Garmin for their 2820 in
order to revert to the original stuff.
Further, I did not investigate the audio-out issue. I would be surprised that the wiring
would not have been engineered for stereo from the beginning, but you never know.
All I can say is that starting from the 2610 onwards, the pinout of the main connector
has been designed for all subsequent upgrades towards the 2820 and that the audio-out
IS part of this connector (In addition to the amplified audio out available on the left jack
connector of the 2820).

All this said, I am into trying it...but have no BMW craddle available. I have the Garmin original craddle...ready to give it away (and some $$$ as well) for the BMW one !
BMW sells the craddle at +- 350 EUR here (!!!!) ie 425 bucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! while some
OEM parts resellers are offering it at 135$ in the US. It seems impossible but, there is
a marketing policy behind...and it becomes clear when you will know that the Navigator III is sold at 1.500 EUR here while the Garmin 2820 comes at about 1.150 EUR.
And the cradde makes 'the bridge' in their policy(350 EUR), avoiding speculators like me to get the whole BMW alike working stuff for less....
Now, if anybody can order a craddle in the US for me (Dealers DO NOT ship abroad)...I would be pleased to deal with him.

PS: I am located in Belgium , have a K1200S 05'.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2006, 8:16 am
Just saying hey

I have bmw cradle

I have the BMW Navigator II with cradle on my K 1200 GT. Call me and try your Streettpilot 2820 into my cradle. Im also in Belgium near Antwerp.

tel 0475-352228

'04 K 1200 LT
'06 K 1200 GT
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2006, 6:54 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabi
Hi There...

Don't know if there is a market for BMW craddles but...I am actually looking for one !
So, if you want to sell it..I am your man.
By the way, the reason why I am interested is exactly the same as yours...

So I am a bit confused if you say that the Garmin 2820 would not work with the BMW craddle.

In fact, here are the info I could gather from BMW dealers as well as from the net :

- BMW craddle are the same (part number # 72607679219) for
Navigator II,Navigator II+ and Navigator III.
I could not confirm this, but seems logical.

- BMW craddle has a digital serial interface with the GPS receiver working at 14.4k bauds
while Garmin's 26xx,27xx, 28xx has a different speed (9.6k ? 18.2k???,dunno..)
Speed of the serial interface IS piloted by firmware of the GPS receiver.

- Lots of people are replacing Garmin's software by BMW software (available free on the
web will all tools for the upgrade)

- The 4 buttons of BMW craddle operate via this serial interface only. So my guess
is that a simple firmware upgrade would be enough to make the whole thing work.
BUT : Garmin has not released any firmware for their 2820 presently...The only
available is the one coming INTO the unit...so if any problem occur with the freshly
upgraded unit, you might be stuck waiting any release from Garmin for their 2820 in
order to revert to the original stuff.
Further, I did not investigate the audio-out issue. I would be surprised that the wiring
would not have been engineered for stereo from the beginning, but you never know.
All I can say is that starting from the 2610 onwards, the pinout of the main connector
has been designed for all subsequent upgrades towards the 2820 and that the audio-out
IS part of this connector (In addition to the amplified audio out available on the left jack
connector of the 2820).

All this said, I am into trying it...but have no BMW craddle available. I have the Garmin original craddle...ready to give it away (and some $$$ as well) for the BMW one !
BMW sells the craddle at +- 350 EUR here (!!!!) ie 425 bucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! while some
OEM parts resellers are offering it at 135$ in the US. It seems impossible but, there is
a marketing policy behind...and it becomes clear when you will know that the Navigator III is sold at 1.500 EUR here while the Garmin 2820 comes at about 1.150 EUR.
And the cradde makes 'the bridge' in their policy(350 EUR), avoiding speculators like me to get the whole BMW alike working stuff for less....
Now, if anybody can order a craddle in the US for me (Dealers DO NOT ship abroad)...I would be pleased to deal with him.

PS: I am located in Belgium , have a K1200S 05'.
I'm in the U.S. (Southern California to be exact).

There appears to be output/input jacks on the 2820 on the left side. Those would be blocked by the BMW cradle. The jack for the audio output is on the BMW Navigator II+ cradle, but it does seem to be connected or split from the main plug on the back of the Navigator II+. I do know the output jack on the cradle is mono only as the dealer made the mistake of trying to hook it up with the AutoCom stereo cable. Didn't work. Most of my other Garmin's are also mono only. The 2820 seems to be a step up in the audio area. Still, from photos of the Navigator III, it does look much like the older cradle. Dunno???

I am only going along with what the tech at Garmin said in that the cradle for the 26xx and maybe 27xx are not compatible for the 2820. The 2820 has an input and there is no input jack on the BMW Navigator II+ cradle. I would guess the addition of the Mp3 player needed the stereo jack addition which would be a change between cradles.

I was wondering about which BMW firmware/software you are getting? I only have the updates from Garmin in the U.S. - and that is through their online WebUpdater. I do see that BMW Motorad Europe updates their dealer waypoints and that it is downloadable from their BMW Europe site. The U.S. doesn't have a dealer waypoint download on its home site nor seems to offer any support for the Navigator in the U.S. either firmware or dealer waypoints.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2006, 2:04 am
Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure that whilst you can power the Garmin from the BMW cradle, the buttons and audio will not work. If they did then no-one would buy the BMW Navigator as it is significantly more expensive.
Joe

Joe Philipsz
Edinburgh - Scotland
05 K1200S
01 K1200RS
03 F650GS
05 E60 M5
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2006, 3:25 am
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

A few clarifications since I have a 2820:

1. Yes, the 2820 has two input/output jacks on the left side (audio out 3.5mm and microphone in 2.5mm). They will impede compatibility with existing BMW Nav craddles

2. Even if there were no inputs on the right side, the BMW craddles would only serve to be a very expensive mounting bracket for the Garmin Streetpilot 26XX, 27XX and 28XX series - the units have never been compatible (as was said, BMW has to justifiy somehow its price differential).

3. If you decide you don't want to saw off bits of plastic from an old craddle, just spend $45 for the Garmin moto mounting kit and you'll have a clean, easy install for any of the Streetpilot series - the holes line up exactly with those of the mounting braces used to hold the BMW Navs.

4. You can buy the craddle or any other part of the BMW GPS mounting kit separately. (I bought the base plate and bracket for my K1200S and mounted a 2610 and later a 2820 using the Garmin kit).

5. I am not familiar with the possibility to upgrade the Garmin software with the BMW version, I will have to look into it. However, at least from previous experience, there is virtually no difference between the Nav II and a 2610 (except for a different compass and a few logos). Not sure I would want to risk voiding my warranty on the Garmin for that.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2006, 5:46 am
Just saying hey

Interesting all thiese infos around audios..I must admit it was not the part I investigated much....

1. I guess the Navigator III has got the exact same connectors at the same place no? So the sames applies for the original Navigator...but pins 7 and 8 of the large Garmin connector gives audio out and I know some Y connectors with a jack connected to it...(look at http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...p?mospid=48142 go to Radio,special equipments and then click on 'Connect Cable for navigation Systems).
Further, the NavIII gives the audio out thru Bluetooth...but was confirmed to be in Mono.

2. The original craddle is usefull for the large 4 buttons usable with gloves and fits
the original K1200S OEM cabling (it comes with a bike specific connector + Y 2 connectors: 1 for the craddle, one for the unit, both being interconnected for powering the craddle and serial data exchange for operating the unit from the craddle)
Interesting deature is the odometer link so that you NEVER loose track even in tunnels (just like original GPS in cars).

3. Yes, the smart Garmin craddle is far less expensive...saw it arount 25 bucks in US resellers

4.Yes indeed...but you loose the usability of the large tank bag...which is not so large already.

5. Here is the link (in English) for firmware updates from BMW :
http://www.bmw-motorrad2.com/bmwmr_c...m(en)&topic=17
Never found the one from Garmin.
The Webupdater just tells you that the present software in your unit is up-to-date.

I am still bidding for a used BMW craddle...or I am ready to ship my brand NEW (in the box) original craddle from Garmin against a used BMW one (and I add some bucks as well).

Last edited by Fabi; Aug 13th, 2006 at 6:51 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode