Assistance: iTunes transfer to 2820 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 1:21 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Assistance: iTunes transfer to 2820

Okay, I give up, how do I transfer my iTune songs (CD's owned) to my 2820 which requires MP3? Garmin website states the following, "If you wish, iTunes may be used to create MP3 files from CD's that you own. The files must be MP3 format."

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 2:14 pm
Addict

You can't do it directly from iTunes

As you learned, iTunes does not transfer to mp3 players. It is designed to work with the Apple iPod family of players.

However, there is a way to get your music onto an mp3 player fromiTunes.You need to burn the selected music to a CD. Then you rip the music from that CD to mp3 format onto your harddisk and transfer it to the mp3 player. I know this works because I've done it.

Another way, without iunes, is to "rip" your music CD's to mp3 files on your computer and then transfer the files to the mp3 player. The ripping can be done using Windows Media Player 10. This does not use CD's. Windows Media Player may require a plugin to do this. It is not free.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 2:28 pm
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

If you already have your music files digitized to i-Tunes in their format (those from your CD's, not the ones you buy from their web site since I believe those are protected), simply:

open i-tunes

select all the songs you want to convert to mp3

select advanced from the top menu and go down and click on "convert selection to mp3"

This will make a copy of all of those files into MP3 format. Then all you need to do is drag n' drop them into the MP3 folder of the Garmin when you open it in USB Mass Storage format.

The best way I found to ensure you are only transferring MP3 files is :

When i-Tunes is open, you have the headings at the top of the page (Song name, time, artist, etc.). These can be personalised to show different headings. Place mouse over the headings bar, right click and you will see a long list of options. Select "KIND". This is the one that indicates which format the music is in.

Once you've done this, click on KIND and it will order the music by the format the music is recorded in. Then simply select all of the songs recorded as "MPEG Audio File" and drag n'drop them to the MP3 file on the Garmin.

Some of them may not be copied because of incompatability, but if memory serves me right (my 2820 is in the shop so I cant verify) the Garmin will tell you.

If you have not already converted your music CD's to MP3, then you can use i-tunes to do it for you.

With i-tunes open, insert CD into drive and the music on CD should appear in i-tunes with titles and artist (as long as you are connected to the internet).

Then simply do as before, select all of the songs and go to ADVANCED, then follow the same steps listed above.

That's it.

Good luck.

Last edited by hdf; Sep 18th, 2006 at 2:33 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 3:42 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Hector, It worked beautifully!!! Excellent. Thank you!!!!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 4:00 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdf
If you already have your music files digitized to i-Tunes in their format (those from your CD's, not the ones you buy from their web site since I believe those are protected), simply:

open i-tunes

If you have not already converted your music CD's to MP3, then you can use i-tunes to do it for you.

With i-tunes open, insert CD into drive and the music on CD should appear in i-tunes with titles and artist (as long as you are connected to the internet).

Then simply do as before, select all of the songs and go to ADVANCED, then follow the same steps listed above.

That's it.

Good luck.

Your way is better. I did not have the option to 'convert to mp3'. Mine said 'convert to acc'. After editing my prefereces, 'convert to mp3' appeared under advanced.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 4:39 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug
Your way is better. I did not have the option to 'convert to mp3'. Mine said 'convert to acc'. After editing my prefereces, 'convert to mp3' appeared under advanced.

Robert, go to itunes, go to edit, go to "preferences" go to advanced, go to importing tab , then import using "MP3 Encoder"...Hope this helps...

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 5:53 am
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

From Texas exhile, only too glad to help out a couple of "local" boys (since both of you, BeemerDude and Mudbug, are in the great Lone Star State).

Glad it worked out for you.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2006, 1:06 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerDude
Robert, go to itunes, go to edit, go to "preferences" go to advanced, go to importing tab , then import using "MP3 Encoder"...Hope this helps...
I did and it works great. I'm using iTunes 7.0.0.70, on Windoz XP (not so) Professional. I did the burn to CD method on older version of iTunes.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2006, 4:43 pm
Addict

There is still a reason you may have to burn the music to a CD then import it as mp3. The music is protected. Some of the music sold in the iTunes store will now allow you to convert it to mp3 directly. In that case, you will have to burn it to a CD, then import it fromthe CD as mp3.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode