Help! Garmin 276c won't power up - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 1:54 pm Thread Starter
Looking for better limits...

Unhappy Help! Garmin 276c won't power up

On a short trip back from the post office, I noticed that the unit was powering up, then shutting off. Figured the power lead might be the culprit, but after unplugging the power cord to run it just on the battery, same thing. The first splash screen comes up, kind of at a low-light level, then gets lit up a bit more. Then everything shuts down and it starts over. Plugged in the charger, same thing. Unplugged the battery and just left it on the charger cord, same thing. Leaving the battery out for 30 minutes, then will try again.

Any of this sound familiar, and if so, what was the fix? No troubleshooting section in the manal I have.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 5:35 am
Rookie

276c Power

Ray > dont know what version/update you have on your GPS but in reading the update logs for that model, looks like they have had a fair series of updates relating to power up or off when editing, shutdowns or the like.

http://www.garmin.com/support/downlo...ils.jsp?id=885

Sort of a Catch22, but if you can get it to start up once, might pay to update the firmware. Failing a successfull power-on, its likely an RMA to Garmin for repair.

- ebill
03 K12RS
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:27 am

Razel

Try a PM to Miles Miller, I think he had some similar....cant remember but I think he posted about this in I-BMW...you could try him...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2005, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Update

Got an email response to my initial yell for help with Garmin. I figured there was a "hold-this-button-while-powering-up" sequence to flush things, just didn't know what it was. Also, don't know for certain what the software version is, as all I can see is 2.70 on the initial screen. Left the unit at home today, though, so I won't get any results until later.

Press the "Quit" button and then the power button and hold until the "Erase All Data" box appears.
Then they suggest that I upgrade the unit software. Thought I had the latest, but hey, if it's acting up, maybe I don't. Again, need to read the web page the link they provided goes to.

I've got everything (maps, waypoints, routes, tracks) on the home computer, so should be no problem erasing everything and starting over. Six months and this is the first glitch. I'll post the results of the next steps when I get through them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2005, 4:32 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Fixed with CNTL-ALT-DEL

Well, pretty much. Loaded my maps on both memory chips, but need a decent ride to see how well the new set up works. One waypoint appears to have move 20 miles, other than that, I have to re-read the manual because the new software has some changes to the way things work. Nothing major, and I have to put my customizations back in. Things like the ETA, ETE, Time that I had on some of the views were gone, or I had 8 data fields and only 4 now. Nothing too hard to put back (if I could just remember what I had before).

Only wrinkle was realizing that I had 1 second to sucessfully default the unit.

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode