Garmin Routing Question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 9:54 am Thread Starter

Garmin Routing Question

have a Garmin 2610 that is relatively new to me. Up to this point I've been using the unit as a current location to "point x" means of routing. I've now setup a few test routes on the unit and it brings up a question.

Let's assume that I've created a ride loop in Mapsource which begins at "point A", runs a loop using many via points to stay on my preferred set of roads, and eventually ends back at "point A". Now my dilema, assume that my current location (point B / possibly the hotel I am staying) lies within the route, but nowhere near the beginning point (point A).

In doing a few local tests, it appears that the GPS always forces me to go to the route start when I request to drive the route. After arriving back at point A it would then begin my predefined route which takes me back toward point B again.

My question: Is there any way to force the GPS into taking me from my current location on the route, to the end of the route instead of forcing me into driving the entire thing?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help out here.

Matt

2007 BMW K1200S
2002 BMW K1200RS
2000 Honda VFR

If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 10:07 am
Statmaster

Rather than routing the entire loop, you should build your routes in two parts. The route from your starting point to your destination, and a second route from your destination back home.

I've found that loops in the Garmin units will recalculate and skip via points and behave in the manner you have described.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Rather than routing the entire loop, you should build your routes in two parts. The route from your starting point to your destination, and a second route from your destination back home.
Jeff,

While I agree that this would provide a solution to the issue, I was really hoping for other options. It would be possible as you say to chop my route (approx 300 miles) into say 10 segments, thus allowing me to enter the loop wherever I may need. It just seems to me that this method is clumsy and would require me to change routes while riding from one to the next.

Guess I was just hoping that something existed which would allow me to join "mid route" without segmenting the loop and creating a bunch of independant routes.

Matt

2007 BMW K1200S
2002 BMW K1200RS
2000 Honda VFR

If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:31 pm
Statmaster

You don't have to create a bunch of independent routes. It's the A to B back to A that is causing the problem. If you had a route from A to B with a bunch of via points, you should be able to jump in any time. The problem is the A to B back to A that is the problem.

For example, we do trips from Dallas to NW Arkansas all the time. I will do the route up in one route, and the route back in another.

If we are up there and want to do a structured day ride (i.e., Hotel to a lunch spot and back to the Hotel), I will usually route to the lunch spot and build another route back to the hotel.

Now, you can do loops, but if you leave the route and re-enter, it should give you good directions after you re-intercept the route.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2006, 3:45 pm
Addict

I know that this is an old post, but here is a way to make it work. All you have to do is to turn off "auto recalculate" and you can enter the route wherever you like. I live in a rural area and have several routes programmed just as you describe (usually starting and ending at my house) and I can enter the route at any location that I want. I have my 2610 set to prompt me if I want the route recalculated and I simply tell it no.
hope this helps...

James

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode