478c vs 2730... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:18 pm Thread Starter

478c vs 2730...

I have an option to upgrade from my 2720 for some issues I'm having. I was wondering opinions on 478c vs 2730. I really want XM this time. I like the idea of the lithium ion battery in the 478c but no touch screen.

Anyone else who contimplated these units, please post your reasoning for either.

Thanks.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 1:03 pm
Noob

Red face 478 vs 2730

I considered both and was going to go with the 478. I wanted the battery option and you can create routes sitting at your computer, then upload them to the unit. Then Garmin came out with the ZUMO 550, and I decided to go that way. It combines the best part of both units (IMHO), plus gives you the protection of the gasoline resistant case. Only downside, you will have to wait for the unit to ship from Garmin.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 4:39 am

first of all...

you want the 378C....
the 478C is a marine-based unit

secondly, the screen resolution of the 378/478 is INFINITELY better than that of the ZUMO
it won't even be close

buy the ZUMO only if you want the MP3 capability
IMHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
first of all...

you want the 378C....
the 478C is a marine-based unit

secondly, the screen resolution of the 378/478 is INFINITELY better than that of the ZUMO
it won't even be close

buy the ZUMO only if you want the MP3 capability
IMHO
Greg,

Do you have any issues with the data entry on the 378?

BTW - the 478 is the same as the 378 but it has the north american NT fully loaded. The 378 has a different version of the maps where supposedly you can't load routes from your pc.

Please confirm this for me as I'm going to be probably ordering the 478 today.

Matt
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 5:29 pm
Noob

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmor
Greg,

BTW - the 478 is the same as the 378 but it has the north american NT fully loaded. The 378 has a different version of the maps where supposedly you can't load routes from your pc.

Matt
The 378 does not allow for uploads from you computer to the unit like the 478 does. Greg is correct that the 478 has a higher resolution than the Zumo; however, the resolution is directly related to the screen size. Higher resolution does not necessarilly mean better visibility. Making a comparison of similar quality computer monitors, a 19" monitor has a higher resolution capability than a 17" monitor, but it is not any clearer. If you want the larger screen, the 478 is definitely the way to go but don't let higher resolution make the decision for you.

By-the-way, the response I received from Garmin on uploading maps to the 478 is that the unit will recalculate the route when uploaded. As long as you enter enough waypoints in your route, this shouldn't be a problem.

Lynn
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2006, 5:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmor
Greg,

Matt

sorry that i just saw this message
the 378 and 478 are the same unit
but the 478C is more PRE-LOADED for MARINE use and the 378C for ON THE ROAD USE
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2006, 5:18 pm

you are COMPLETELY WRONG about this

OF course the 378C allow you to UPload from your computer
WHO at garmin told you that lie?

garmin's MAPSOURCE software is the best in the industry by a light year

all the NT maps are preloaded.... just like in my NAV III......
but OF COURSE you can upload waypoints and VIA points, etc
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2006, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
you are COMPLETELY WRONG about this
Greg,

I'm sorry your are sooo adamant about this and YELLING at us

However, the 378c has the mapset combined with the inland waterways I believe. You can load routes from the computer - however the unit will always recalculate them using its method. VS. Loading a carefully planned route on the 478c which will not recalculate to its default method. This is how it was explained to me as the 478c has the NT version of City Navigator separate of the coastal waterways.

Any input you have on the use of the 378c vs 27xx series would be cool though. I just pulled the trigger on the 478c (hoping I didn't make a mistake)

Thanks.

Matt
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 8:47 am

I too am trying to decide which I should get.

The 376C, the 378C, or the 478C.

It sounds like if I want pre-loaded (detailed) U.S. maps I can go with the 378 or 478 but th 378 maps make it "rcalulate" to some degree the trips you plan on the PC and then "upload" to it and the 478 does not.

The 376c comes with the GXM 30 smart antenna but you have to buy a Garmin card and the mapping software separately. On the 378 an 478 you have to buy the smart antenna but you get all the maps pre-loaded. What do you need the SD port for on these units?

If I get the 378 or 478 do I have to purchase separate software to do trip planning on my PC?

(I was going to get a ZUMO but Greg talked me out of it! LOL) I always thought that the display on the 376, 378, etc. chartplotter was the superior one for my old eyes.

Thanks,
Mike
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2006, 10:30 pm
Enthusiast

Does the 378 or 478 offer 3D viewing? I think the Zumo does.Greg, you seem to be the wizard on this, what is your take. From the demos I have seen, 3D helps in the immediate intuative when viewing the map. Traveling 'on the fly' on a bike, that is not to be discounted for me. Your input folks? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode