Garmin Zumo 550 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

Garmin Zumo 550

Hi All,

I am thinking of buying a Garmin Zumo 550. Wondering if anyone have the unit? How do you like it?

Will the mounting hardware work on a 06 k1200GT?

Any other unit I should consider?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 9:30 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-K12GT
Hi All,

I am thinking of buying a Garmin Zumo 550. Wondering if anyone have the unit? How do you like it?

Will the mounting hardware work on a 06 k1200GT?

Any other unit I should consider?

Thanks.
I'm waiting for mine to replace the three month old BMW Navigator II+. My dealer says they haven't been shipped yet and he heard they were supposed to be at the dealers by Oct. 6th, but now looks like it may be around October 19th. He tossed in the GSM-30 satellite radio antenna unit and a mounting bracket for $1000 (tvnav.com).

Supposedly, it uses the AMPS-4 mounting pattern so it should bolt up the same bracket as the Navigator's bracket (4 screw hole thingy). I got the Gadget Guy's monkey bar mounting system and added a platform for the GXM antenna to the side of the bar.

That's all I know so far. I've been waiting for Garmin to post the Zumo owner's manual on their website, but nothing yet. Features look pretty good and I want to try some of those talking waypoint things it' supposed to do for trips. Sort of a talking travel log.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:00 am
Addict

I have one on pre-order, from chumbo.com. $759. They claim they won't be shipping till early Nov. Actually hope some recieve there's earlier than mine so if the reviews are not good, I can just cancel.....

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2006, 5:15 pm

i've spoken to someone high up at Garmin
they won't be in anyone's hands until nearly Thanksgiving

one thing you ought to know now:
the resolution is LESS than that of the nav iii.... and MUCH less than the 378C/478C

from what i can see.... and i own nearly every garmin unit made in the last 10 years..... it's worth about $400.00 LESS than they are charging for it

it was ONLY invented to compete against the GARBAGE TOM TOM RIDER

but the 378C
forget the touch screen
it's MUCH better for MUCH less
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2006, 3:24 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
i've spoken to someone high up at Garmin
they won't be in anyone's hands until nearly Thanksgiving

one thing you ought to know now:
the resolution is LESS than that of the nav iii.... and MUCH less than the 378C/478C

from what i can see.... and i own nearly every garmin unit made in the last 10 years..... it's worth about $400.00 LESS than they are charging for it

it was ONLY invented to compete against the GARBAGE TOM TOM RIDER

but the 378C
forget the touch screen
it's MUCH better for MUCH less
Based on what criteria? From previous post, I see that screen DPI is an issue for you. However there are other attributes to consider. ON board memory, Flash memory, actual receiver (THe ZUMO reciever is suppose to be "newer" or at least different). THe maps software.... Just curious how you comparing the units?

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
Based on what criteria? From previous post, I see that screen DPI is an issue for you. However there are other attributes to consider. ON board memory, Flash memory, actual receiver (THe ZUMO reciever is suppose to be "newer" or at least different). THe maps software.... Just curious how you comparing the units?
The ZUMO 550 is really a DUMBED-DOWN Garmin unit that was made ONLY to compete with folks who want plug-n-play capability.... like you would have in your car

i do ALL my route planning on the computer and UPload the info into my Garmins. this will NOT be available with the ZUMO.

it IS a cool unit
but if you are already used to the SOPHISTICATION of their "professional" units like the
378/478C
then you won't enjoy this unit which emulates those in automobiles.... meant to be 100% used ON SITE.... IN SITU, so to speak
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 4:52 am

You can pre-plan

According to the Garmin site it is NOT just an "In Situ" unit.

"Plan Your Adventures and Share Your Rides

zūmo 550 makes it easy to plan your next trip and share routes with your riding buddies. Plan trips on your computer before you start. Search for food and fuel stops and local attractions. Then, transfer your route to zūmo and go.

At the end of the day, share your favorite places and rides with other zūmo riders, and review your travels in Google™ Earth. SD card expansion makes it easy for storage and route sharing. Download routes to share with your riding buddies — even load mp3 files to your unit to enjoy tunes on the road. In addition, JPEG Picture Viewer lets you share photos of your adventures with friends and family."

Marshall,
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 5:28 am

i've read that as well
but, i've also spoken extensively with Garmin about the unit

IF you aren't use to what can be done with a more sophisticated nav system....
then you will like it

BUT.......
it will NOT have the same screen resolution as the 378/478C

quite frankly.... touchscreens always DEGRADE your ability to "SEE" the screen in daylight
that's just the way it is
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 2:16 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
i've read that as well

IF you aren't use to what can be done with a more sophisticated nav system....
then you will like it

Time permitting could you elaborate? Also, I understand screen issues in general to minute details, so lets not worry about that.

My experience with GPS is an older Magellan Gold, mapping (and later routing) handheld, and way before that an old Garmin handheld, used on my sailboat, which I sold the sailboat, years ago!

I still travel to new cities with the Magellan Gold handheld, for now, as it does do a good job getting me where I need to go, and finding places.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2006, 2:56 pm
Addict-oholic

"quite frankly.... touchscreens always DEGRADE your ability to "SEE" the screen in daylight
that's just the way it is"

My eyesight is slightly degraded as I am older than dirt, but I have no problem with my touchscreen garmin. It is so small and has a built in mp3 player. I haven't gotten lost with it yet !!!!

I hope your bike is fixed properly and ready to go...

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode