GPSMap 478 volume questions... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 2:14 pm Thread Starter

GPSMap 478 volume questions...

Hello,

I just picked up a GPSMap 478 with the XM radio option. I gotta tell you - this is one amazing unit! I had a 2720 before this which was nice but I started having issues with the touch screen.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are individual volume controls for voice directions and XM audio? I know on the 2730 there is a Volume page that you can adjust everything individually. I can't find it on this unit. I'm sure this should apply to 376/378/478 all the same.

Thanks for your help.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 3:51 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmor
Hello,

I just picked up a GPSMap 478 with the XM radio option. I gotta tell you - this is one amazing unit! I had a 2720 before this which was nice but I started having issues with the touch screen.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are individual volume controls for voice directions and XM audio? I know on the 2730 there is a Volume page that you can adjust everything individually. I can't find it on this unit. I'm sure this should apply to 376/378/478 all the same.

Thanks for your help.

Matt
On the 376 using the "Sound" tab on the main menu you can adjust the output volume of the unit - for all items at once, not individually.

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
On the 376 using the "Sound" tab on the main menu you can adjust the output volume of the unit - for all items at once, not individually.
That's what I was afraid of.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 6:31 pm

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for your help.

Matt
matt,
i think i just found out you called me
and i'm sorry that i didn't call you back

they are all adjusted at the same time
no sound TAB
just quickly press and release the POWER key...
up and down change the BRIGHTNESS of the display
left and right adjust the VOLUME

no need to find any "TAB"

was i right about the display?

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 BMW K1200GT
'07 MV Agusta Brutale 910R
live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
was i right about the display?
Greg,

The display is amazing! I really like this unit. Hopefully they add some of the XM features from the 2730. I'd like to see a set of volume properties, and favorite artists like in the 2730 and pretty much any other XM unit. I'd also like to see some font adjustments on the overlays - now that is probably getting whiney

Matt
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 7:13 pm

Quote:
Greg,

The display is amazing! I really like this unit. Hopefully they add some of the XM features from the 2730. I'd like to see a set of volume properties, and favorite artists like in the 2730 and pretty much any other XM unit. I'd also like to see some font adjustments on the overlays - now that is probably getting whiney

Matt
it's always a give and take
i think you'll love this unit when all is said and done
there is no better display on the market
it's amazing how great a display can be when they don't try to make it a TOUCHSCREEN

sorry.... once again....
that i didn't see your message

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 BMW K1200GT
live like you mean it...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
it's amazing how great a display can be when they don't try to make it a TOUCHSCREEN

sorry.... once again....
that i didn't see your message
No problem on the message. I was just giving you a ring to let you know that I got the unit and how much I liked it and appreciate your help.

I will tell you that when the unit is off you can see all kinds of finger prints and little scuffs in that anti-reflective coating. I have used only a microfiber cloth to clean it. The good news is that you can't see the scuffs and stuff when the backlight is on.

How do you have yours mounted? I am using the supplied Garmin marine mount and I removed the one part and bolted it to a plate kinda like the BMW gps mount. The garmin mount isn't that secure, I have placed a large zip tie to secure it a little more. Do you agree with this?

Matt
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 7:51 pm

Quote:
No problem on the message. I was just giving you a ring to let you know that I got the unit and how much I liked it and appreciate your help.

I will tell you that when the unit is off you can see all kinds of finger prints and little scuffs in that anti-reflective coating. I have used only a microfiber cloth to clean it. The good news is that you can't see the scuffs and stuff when the backlight is on.

How do you have yours mounted? I am using the supplied Garmin marine mount and I removed the one part and bolted it to a plate kinda like the BMW gps mount. The garmin mount isn't that secure, I have placed a large zip tie to secure it a little more. Do you agree with this?

Matt
well....
you have asked me the million dollar question
i do NOT have it mounted on my GT yet...
because the NAV III is still in place
i bought the Z-technik mount for the left-side UNused MIRROR HOLE....
and it mounts there fine.... but, because our grips are VIBRATION-MOUNTED.... and have some engineered "FLEX" in them, i do NOT feel comfortable with this "SOLUTION."

so...
i don't know WHAT to do, honestly
i am enjoying my 376C in my Nissan Armada at this time (2004, so, didn't come with XM)... since it has an AUX JACK on the dash

i also use the microfiber cloth and the screen reacts to that fine
the screen is quite durable and will REMAIN a million times better to view IN ANY LIGHT.... at ANY TIME OF THE DAY than the 2600/2700/2800 Garmins

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 BMW K1200GT
live like you mean it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode