Zumo S D card - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2006, 3:57 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Zumo S D card

Two questions, 1, can I just put any S D card in the Zumo or does the card from Garmin have a special formatting that it must have? Pricing is why I ask. 2 how can I listen to the MP3 or XM radio from the Zumo in a car and not have to use headphones? Would a FM converter work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2006, 5:01 pm
Addict-oholic

You can use any SD card. The zumo ( if it is similar to the Nuvi) will just recognize it as another drive. You can put all your files into this drive and the GPS will recognize all your tunes and other data.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2006, 8:12 pm
Veteran

** You CANNOT use just any SD card in the Zumo up to version 2.30 (current)! **

I've have already learned one very expensive lesson with the Zumo to the tune of $150.

A 4 gig SanDisk card would not work. Don't even try. Won't recognize it and some computers and cameras won't either. It will lock the Zumo up in a never-ending boot mode.

The Zumo will work with a 2 gig card. This I also know first hand. Some problems were getting the dang Mp3 files (1.89 gigs worth) onto it. The 2 gig Lexar I had only would load halfway via the laptop's card reader/writer port. Had to flush the RAM and reformat the card and start again. It then loaded all the songs.

Also, some of my Mp3's have the image art within the Mp3 file and it shows up on the Zumo screen in place of the blue musical note on the player screen. Looks pretty cool on the screen and you can enlarge the cover art by pressing on the image and seeing the mp3 file data and the enlargement tab for the cover art.

From my own experience and e-mail with Garmin's tech support today....

Now if I could get the XM Radio thing to work with the GXM-30 antenna. All I get is a rotating hourglass for hours on end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2006, 8:50 pm
Addict-oholic

You are right! I forgot that they make 4 gig SD cards now !

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2006, 9:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack

Now if I could get the XM Radio thing to work with the GXM-30 antenna. All I get is a rotating hourglass for hours on end.
have you INITIALIZED that GXM-30 with ANOTHER XM unit yet?
did you fully sign up with XM?

remember....
if you have NOT initialed the antenna yet.....
it'll take 1/2 hour to fully "DOWNLOAD" all of the XM data into your Zumo

clear view of the sky?
how long did you wait?

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 BMW K1200GT
'07 MV Agusta Brutale 910R
live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2006, 10:01 pm
Veteran

Greg,
Thanks for your ideas.
Yes, I signed up with XM for one year (not the XM Traffic portion as I'm not in their area). They have me on their account site already (I just checked).

On the Zumo, the XM Radio screen shows several bars which I assume is the signal strength meter on upper right portion. They are all dark and not green so I am guessing I am not getting a good satellite signal - or none at all. I took the antenna as far as I could stretch from the DC power supply running the thing (it's not on the bike yet) out the front door but I am still under a overhang of the roof. I get nothing through the west windows either. I may need to haul all this stuff outdoors tomorrow into the patio and lawn area and see if it fires up.

The Zumo appears to need the earphone jack plug in to get onto the DC power cord, otherwise it asks if "You want to continue running on internal battery?" or it shuts off. It also needs the DC power cord to run the GXM-30 antenna (no internal battery operation). The DC supply shows it pulling around 120ma at 13 volts, fwiw. Not much.

Back to antenna: "Should the strength bars show up before the XM subscription, or are they dependent on the subscription too?"

I don't have another GPS that takes the GXM-30 plug to check it (or maybe the Zumo??). Is there any indication LED or something in the GXM to verify the antenna is powered up and working?

So far three hours and no XM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:16 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennisa
2 how can I listen to the MP3 or XM radio from the Zumo in a car and not have to use headphones? Would a FM converter work?
THe short answer is get/find an aux input to your factory head unit and/or replace.

THe long answer:

1. The windshield mount has a little speaker, I think it has to be in the mount. Not sure if the mount has to be powered.

2. What I did in my 98 wrangler. Bought a cheap modern stereo from crutchfield, that had an aux input, 99.00 including harness and face plate.. That works like a champ. Plug the zumo into that, hear the MP3, XM when I get that, and when its time to do a navigation the voice overrides the mp3/XM player. BTW the 99 stereo was hands down better than original factory cassette unit. CD player, MP3 CD player, remote AUX..... Now I can have IPOD, ZUMO with XM or MP3, whatever else uses a 3mm jack stereo jack. Works like a champ.

3. For my 2006 ford pickup, PIE makes a $80 part that gives the factory stereo an aux port. Then its the same as above.

FM transmitters do not work where I live, to many radio stations

What kind of car do you have? SOme factory autos, not many though have a way to add an aux output. A little search on the internet or crutchfield will enlighten.....

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:24 am
Enthusiast

Just an FYI:
I got my XM receiver (the hockey puck is the XM antenna and receiver) about a week ago, plugged it into the zumo running on 12V power (won't run on intenal battery) and it came up in XM demo mode immediately. Demo mode is where it plays a few random XM channels because you haven't subscribed to XM (or added it as a new receiver).

Regarding how many songs can be put on a 2 Gig SD card: You must do a full format of the card before you use it or you'll only be able to put about 761Mb worth of MP3s on it. There is also a Garmin S/W limit of 500 total MP3s on a card.

AMHIKT

Bill

'04 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue
'05 R1200GS Red
'07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2006, 11:39 am
Veteran

I also learned - the hard and expensive way - that the Zumo will not take a 4 Gig Sandisk SDHC card. It won't recognize it.

Some report the 4 gig SD (not SDHC) cards will work in the Zumo. I have ordered a Transcend 4 Gig SD card from Newegg.com and will await to see if it will work in the Zumo.

I'd like to install the Topo maps onto the card along with the Mp3's.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2006, 9:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Also, some of my Mp3's have the image art within the Mp3 file and it shows up on the Zumo screen in place of the blue musical note on the player screen. Looks pretty cool on the screen and you can enlarge the cover art by pressing on the image and seeing the mp3 file data and the enlargement tab for the cover art.
Last year I wrecked a bike while fiddling with my GPS. Instead of watching the cars in front of me, I was trying to untangle an upcoming cloverleaf on my Garmin Quest. I know I was precisely 0.7 miles from my next turn, because I was stupidly fixated on the color screen instead of the car in front of me. It turns out he was going much slower than I was, and by the time I figured that out there was very little time to react. I swerved and lost control of the motorcycle, slamming onto the pavement at about 50 mph. I broke my foot and two vertebrae — thankfully it was not worse.

That said, I can't imagine riding without a GPS. It allows an incredible sense of freedom — the ability to wander without getting lost. But today I'm much more cautious. My GPS of choice, after trying many, is the Zumo. The screen is very easy to read in the sun, and I've mounted it high enough on my S that I don't have to take my eyes off the road. While some complain about not being able to pan the screen while moving, I'm happy to have that temptation eliminated. The most valuable feature is Bluetooth, which means I don't even have to look at the screen. The turn-by-turn audio commands are piped into my helmet using a Cardo Systems ScalaRider Bluetooth speaker. In order to eliminate the temptation of my cellphone, I trimmed off the boom microphone with wire trimmers.

While it's cool that I can pack four gigabytes of music on my Zumo and show album covers on its screen, I'd rather not. The highways are dangerous enough with so many drivers chatting away on their cell phones. Add to that a growing number of motorcyclists with feature-packed GPSes on their handlebars — or two or three GPSes. To each their own, of course. We all know the risks, just thought it might be worth a friendly reminder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode