Scala Rider - Helmet Mounting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2006, 3:20 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Scala Rider - Helmet Mounting

I'm very interested in acquiring a Team Set, but looking at their mounting instructions on their website, I see no way in mounting it to a Schuberth C2. I can't see a way to separate the liner from the shell on the Schuberth.

Has anyone had any success with this configuration? A picture would be really terrific.

Thanks!

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 9:53 pm
Just saying hey

Chris,

My friend John bought one of those and was not able to install it at all on his Schuberth helmet as the total thickness at the bottom lip of the helmet is too important. Installation was barely possible on his wife's Nolan helmet. The dealer wouldnot take the hardware back and I believe it is up for sale on the MOA site.

Cheers,

Dom
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 5:36 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks Dom.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 4:02 pm
Just saying hey

Scala Rider is possible on Schubert C2

I just bought a Schubert C2 Helmet.
I had a scala rider FM headset for my Zumo.

Look at the autocom website for removing the liner and installing the speakers (It is scary to do this on an expensive helmet) www.autocom.co.uk/pdf/Schuberth_C2_Fitting.pdf

Here is a picture i found of the Scala Rider on this helmet :
http://wisup.net/File_3/WIS_FR/2007/...0718474726.jpg
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2007, 10:36 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToVer
I just bought a Schubert C2 Helmet.
I had a scala rider FM headset for my Zumo.

Look at the autocom website for removing the liner and installing the speakers (It is scary to do this on an expensive helmet) www.autocom.co.uk/pdf/Schuberth_C2_Fitting.pdf

Here is a picture i found of the Scala Rider on this helmet :
http://wisup.net/File_3/WIS_FR/2007/...0718474726.jpg
Tover, could you tell me how does the combination of the Zumo and the Scala works for you? I just bought my Zumo and have been planning to buy a Scala Rider teamset. Will it work as a rider-passenger intercom, and a bluetooth connection to use the Zumo as a link to use the cell-phone, MP3, and voice indications?

Thanks!

By the way, I´m planning to install the Scala on a BMW System V wich I believe will be as difficult as in a Schuberth. I´ll let you know how it works if anyone´s interested.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2007, 6:58 pm

Hopefully this will answer your question:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=15

Here is my setup.

Zumo 550
Scala Rider (Team Set)
Audiovox SMT 5600 Smart(cell)phone

The Zumo acts as the "nerve" center for the other 2 devices (cell and BT headset). AFAIK, the Zumo (comparing to Nuvi, ect) is the only one that will let you conect a headset to it. At least compared to my little bit of research...

I can listen to MP3's being played from the Zumo to the Scala Rider and although it's just a (dual) mono output it works pretty well for music and phone conversations.

Better yet, I can use the phone book option (most BT cell phones will sync your phone book to the Zumo) or voice dial on the Zumo and it will control my cell phone which is in my backpack most often. If I am listening to MP3's and get a call then it will pause the playback and resume after I hang up.

I really like the Scala Rider apart from the voice prompts for nav and cell abilities because my wife likes to ride with me (as a passenger). Now, with the VOX control all one of use just initiates a conversation. Most of mine is "twisty ahead", "braking", "accelerating". I can say that it really makes her more comfortable just being in the "know" rather than the old hand signals and me looking back to her. I can keep my eyes on the road.

The Scala Rider fit my RF1000 Shoei helmet with no issue but my wifes Shoei (older RF800) was a PITA. I had to cut some of the leather on the side where it mounts and then stitch the ends (needle and thread) so it didn't rip any further. In the end, it was worth it.

Anyway, that is just my 2 cents.

Cheers! - Walt
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2007, 7:25 pm
Noob

Thumbs up

Titanium, you sure answered my question. Your setup is just what I´m looking for.

I´ll order a Scala Rider tonight now I know it works O.K. :yeah

Thanks!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 11:21 am

Super glad that I can help i-goico.

Not sure how it will interface with the BMW System V helmet though since that is Bluetooth as well. I would think you should be able to link it to the Zumo to do the same as the Scala Rider but you obviously don’t have the secondary device for your passenger. You would need the Scala team set for that.

The Scala Rider devices pair together and they are proprietary afaik. I am just using them on plain helmets. You may want to send an email or call them to see if the Scala Rider team set will interface with the BMW System V helmet.

FYI, the team set comes with the 2 BT devices as you probably already know. The first one pairs with the Zumo and I can make and receive calls and listen to music through the Zumo. The secondary device on my wife’s helmet can only be used as an intercom and I can conference her in on any phone calls that I can make. However, she cannot make any calls.

I still need to test to see if I can "conference her in" to listen to the mp3's as well since that will also keep her entertained on a long run. I’ll do that tonight and post tomorrow about it.

One little note. Sometimes (either) the Zumo or the Scala drops it’s connection so I need to go back into the BT connection manager on the Zumo to “reinitiate” the connection and it works. This rarely happens though but I had to pull over to get it all synced again.

Oh yea, a member (diggitydogg) put his on ebay. Check this link: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=20

Good luck!

Cheers! - Walt

Last edited by Titanium5; May 17th, 2007 at 11:50 am.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 7:51 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium5
Super glad that I can help i-goico.

Not sure how it will interface with the BMW System V helmet though since that is Bluetooth as well. I would think you should be able to link it to the Zumo to do the same as the Scala Rider but you obviously don’t have the secondary device for your passenger. You would need the Scala team set for that.
The BMW bluetooth for the System V is too expensive in Mexico. $500 USD for each helmet, and some people say it doesn´t work right, so I didn´t install it in my helmets.

I never cared much for a bluetooth system till now that I bought my Zumo. Before that, I only used an Ipod with earbuds for music.

Now I´ll have the whole package: Phone, GPS prompts, music and an intercom. Couldn´t ask for more!! Well... maybe stereo music.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2007, 6:53 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium5
One little note. Sometimes (either) the Zumo or the Scala drops it’s connection so I need to go back into the BT connection manager on the Zumo to “reinitiate” the connection and it works. This rarely happens though but I had to pull over to get it all synced again.
I finally have my Scala teamset. I just installed it in my BMW helmet (a real PITA), but every time I try to make a phone call, the bluetooth connection between my phone and the Zumo drops down as soon as the person I´m calling answers the phone. I did try "reinitiating" the connection several times, but it didn´t solve the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode