ZUMO or NAV3 ????? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2006, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

ZUMO or NAV3 ?????

Hi all,

I need some help and advice please - i dont know which one to get, the Nav3 or the Zumo 550.

Basically, i've read some previous threads and have checked out the comparisons etc and im still torn between the models. To be honest, im more tempted with the Zumo purely because of price.

Over here the BMW dealers charge £950.00 for a Nav 3 kit fitted. Whereas the Zumo 550 i can get for nearly half that price; which is clealy something thats gets my attention.
The specs seem to be pretty similar.

My Dad has a Nav 3 and we plan to go around Europe in June next year, so he will plan the route via mapsource and then download it to his Nav 3. Can these saved routes of his be transferred to the Zumo just as easily and will they work ok?

Does anyone have any "real world" report about using the Zumo in comparison to previous models they have used?

C'mon tell me everything you know, good and bad!!!

Thanks all
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2006, 8:09 am
Enthusiast

I recently purchased the Zumo and find it very easy to use. I upgraded from a GPSSMAP60c so that is the only real comparison I have. The reasons for the upgrade was more memory, expandable memory, and larger screen. Additional considerations were size, weather resistance, mounting ease, bluetooth, and the ability to operate safely on the bike. I consider the xm radio, traffic, weather, mp3 player and touch screen all 'bonuses'. The screen has been plenty bright and I haven't turned it up past half-way yet. Glare has been a non-issue as well which seemed to have plagued me on the 60c. The processing speed of the Zumo is considerably faster than the 60c and with the entire map in memory I don't have to worry about wondering outside of my maps like I would with the 60c. I am going to have an autocom installed this winter and hope this will complete my system.
You can add way points on the fly, but this is really something that you should do via software, or maybe while you are stopped along the route. The Zumo has the ability to upload information to its removable memory card, but I don't know that the NAV III has this same ability.
My only disappointment has been that when the Zumo is placed in the car mount you don't have an option to use a bluetooth headset. I would like to see an option to select which audio method you prefer. I don't know if this is a limitation when using the bike mount or not.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:10 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titto
My Dad has a Nav 3 and we plan to go around Europe in June next year, so he will plan the route via mapsource and then download it to his Nav 3. Can these saved routes of his be transferred to the Zumo just as easily and will they work ok?
Yes. In fact it's probably easier on the zumo (I don't have a Nav 3). Save the MapSource route (waypoints/route/etc) as a .gpx file and then transfer the .gpx file to the zumo.

I'm coming off a Garmin GPS V. The zumo is much easier to use on a bike (touch screen and big buttons on the left side) compared to the little buttons on a GPS V. It's also much faster to calculate/recalculate routes. I love the on-board XM and MP3 player. I wish the zumo has satellite status & altitude displays. I also wish it had time/distance to next waypoint & final destination all on the same page. They are separate displays now.

Bill

'04 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue
'05 R1200GS Red
'07 KTM 950 Super Enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode