Zumo 550 VS BMW navigator - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2007, 5:39 pm Thread Starter

Zumo 550 VS BMW navigator

I will be getting a GPS for my new GT and am trying to decide between a Zumo 550 or a BMW navigator. I sort of like the BMW one as it comes with mounts etc ,so I dont have to go looking around. All I realy want one for is finding street destinations, eg, I want to enter Smith Steet, Smithfield and I want to be told how to get there in a simple manner. Another feature I would like is the POI setting which can remind me when I am getting close to speed and red light cameras.
Maybe at most a phone text coming up on the GPS screen might be OK.
Which one do you recommend for easiest use by a GPS dummy, the Zumo 550 or the BMW navigator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2007, 6:56 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500
I will be getting a GPS for my new GT and am trying to decide between a Zumo 550 or a BMW navigator. I sort of like the BMW one as it comes with mounts etc ,so I dont have to go looking around. All I realy want one for is finding street destinations, eg, I want to enter Smith Steet, Smithfield and I want to be told how to get there in a simple manner. Another feature I would like is the POI setting which can remind me when I am getting close to speed and red light cameras.
Which one do you recommend for easiest use by a GPS dummy, the Zumo 550 or the BMW navigator?
I just bought a Zumo for about 700USD. It comes with a RAM mount for the bike and a mount for the car. You just take it out of the cradle and turn it on in the next vehicle. I was able to mount the RAM easily on my BMW K12RS. So far, everything is easy to use. It has sound so a voice tells me when to turn and when I missed a turn the zumo recalculates to get me back on track. Too easy.
I may buy the optional xm radio antenna for 200USD. I have xm on my bike now. Both items are connected through autocom.
You can look at this zumo forum for info http://razorbiker.com/zumo

I've never tried a BMW III.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2007, 7:13 pm
Statmaster

The same BMW Navigator mounts will mount pretty much any GPS with the AMPS bolt pattern. You won't have the cradle that the BMW Navigator. But if you go with a Zumo, you'll already have buttons set up for left-handed use. BTW, if you don't want Bluetooth or XM, you might check the brand new Zumo 450 which is much cheaper.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2007, 7:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500

I have the Zumo and with the XM antenna it is still much cheaper than the Nav III. It comes with RAM mount which is very versatile. The antenna can be mounted right to the cradle with a cycle gadget mount. I just added traffic to the XM and it looks like it will be very helpful.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2007, 4:53 am Thread Starter

I wouldnt mind having the blue tooth, soley so that I can get speed camera sms alerts on my GPS screen. Other than that I would rather a simple to use item. So is the ZUMO 450 different only in that it doesnt have XM and blue tooth? Any other opinions on Navigator?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2007, 8:37 am
Enthusiast

I may be confused, but if you are talking about getting SMS text messages that would normally be coming through your phone I don't think that works with the Zumo 550, or any other GPS that I have seen.
For the money I think you would be happy with the Zumo 550 if only for the added versatility that you can add on later.
I found the mounting hardware that comes with the unit to be of excellent quality. I am also having an autocom installed and will be connecting the Zumo and my radar detector eventually.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2007, 9:30 am

From reading the specs it appears that the Zumo device uses a USB connection to the PC. Is this USB port accessible when the device is in the mount? If so,
can it be used as an additional drive, for MP3s, etc?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2007, 9:49 am
Noob

zumo

The zumo can use an SD card and play MP3 music or what ever you care to down load. very simple to use.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2007, 11:47 am

Yes, but it's very easy to transfer files using a USB Flash Drive for example - every modern computer has a USB port or three - but every other physical format such as SD cards, etc. requires a more specialized slot, which only a few systems have built in. The various attachments to computers that allow an SD to then be accessed are just that - additional external attachments.

If a USB drive could be plugged in and used instead it'd be very convenient - though there'd be some worry about it falling out and environmental factors.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2007, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

BTW, I checked and it will be navigator 3 if I go for the BMW unit. How do the Navigator 3s compare to the Zumo?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode