Zumo and Autocom - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 1:22 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Zumo and Autocom

Hi All,
I have a K1200 RS and I am purchasing a Zumo 550 and an Autocom unit for driver to passenger communications. Has anyone done this install and could they let me know if it is easy to do. I am not great at doing these types of things. The Zumo dealer has kindly offered to install the Zumo to my bike this week but the Autocom will not arrive until next week and I wonder if it makes senses to wait until the Autocom arrives before installing anything. If possible it would be great to plug in some Ipods as well. One concern I have, having read the forums, is that Autocom will not work with certain helmets (problems with placing speakers in helmets) and me and my girlfriend use Arai helmets (one with a removeable liner and one without).
Thanks in advance
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 1:41 pm
Enthusiast

I did it on my 04 GT same as an RS.

Go to the Zumo forum and look under the installation section for 2004 BMW K1200GT install. It has pictures. Wait for everything to get there. Don't need a I pod with the Zumo it plays MP3 music
http://www.zumoforums.com/zumo/viewtopic.php?t=998

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 2:32 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks7
Hi All,
I have a K1200 RS and I am purchasing a Zumo 550 and an Autocom unit for driver to passenger communications. Has anyone done this install and could they let me know if it is easy to do. I am not great at doing these types of things. The Zumo dealer has kindly offered to install the Zumo to my bike this week but the Autocom will not arrive until next week and I wonder if it makes senses to wait until the Autocom arrives before installing anything. If possible it would be great to plug in some Ipods as well. One concern I have, having read the forums, is that Autocom will not work with certain helmets (problems with placing speakers in helmets) and me and my girlfriend use Arai helmets (one with a removeable liner and one without).
Thanks in advance
James
I would wait until I had all the parts and then install. The install will probably be cleaner and you can work out bugs easier.
I have an Arai Quantum helmet. The speakers fit fine, but I chose to go with in-ear speakers which work much better. The sound is clearer and there is less wind noise. Be patient with the speakers, whichever you choose, and make sure you try them when you RIDE, and not just sitting in the house.
The system works very well.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 8:06 pm
Noob

You shouldn't have any trouble fitting the speakers and mic in any of the Arai helmets. Some are easier than others, but none are very difficult. Worst case is that you will need to remove some of the styrofoam in the cheek pads to get enough depth to mount the speakers. As in another post, the sound quality is far from perfect, but I have found it to be more than adequate.

Lynn Clark
07 K12GT CGM
06 Suzuki DR650SE
03 Honda Rebel
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 3:46 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks all - is the install still possible if the helmet does not have removeable cheek parts/lining - one of my older Arais does not.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2007, 10:26 am
Noob

I have never tired the speaker installation in a helmet that does not have removable cheek pads. It might be possible to remove the outer covering on the cheek pads and do the installation that way. Placement of the speaker is critical. Being off by as little as ľ inch can make the difference between good sound and very poor sound.

You will still have a problem with where to put the rest of the wiring connectors and where to stabilize the connector end of the microphone. I have always been able to successfully place all the connectors under the cheek pad, without removing any of the padding. That does not sound like an option in your case.

I donít think this is much help, but without seeing the helmet, itís the best I can offer.

Lynn Clark
07 K12GT CGM
06 Suzuki DR650SE
03 Honda Rebel
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2007, 11:51 am Thread Starter
Rookie

perhaps worst case scenario, I keep the speakers for my helmet (Arai Corsair) and my girlfriend uses headphones with the Autocom part. Autocom are convinced there will be a way so I will see when I get the Autocom and I will look more carefully at the Arai tonight after work - thanks again.
James
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 8:42 am
Riding in company

True Dat!!!

"I would wait until I had all the parts and then install. The install will probably be cleaner and you can work out bugs easier."

Without going into details about how to install your equipment, I urge you to take the advice offered above. I just finished an elaborate installation on my RS and consider that there is no better way to understand how to configure things than to lay everything out on a bench, connect everything, power it up with a battery, and check the function of everything. The one gadget I didn't check in this way (the remote audio adapter for my V1) turned out to be the only faulty piece of gear.

If you are doing the install yourself (I think you said no) then it also gives you an idea of what sort of connectors, mounting hardware, stock for bracket fabrication, etc. you'll need. It's a whole lot easier if you can lay in the bits and pieces..not that you ever can...than running out one trip at a time, for another size of crimp connector, or a piece of larger shrink tube.

Good luck! :yeah

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode