Zumo 550 not shutting off after ignition off - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 8:09 pm Thread Starter

Zumo 550 not shutting off after ignition off

Hello everyone,

I have a Zumo 550 on my K1200R and I used the stock power cord that came with the unit to plug into pins 1 and 3 (brown being ground - pin 1 and red/white being hot - pin 3) on the accessory socket (acc skt).

According to many websites and a link on the forums: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...8&page=1&pp=10 the bike is supposed to release power to the unit after the bike is shut down and then the Zumo asks your if you want to resume on battery. Nobody mentioned how long this will take. I have sat there for 15 minutes waiting for it to power down. LOL…

Well, I am not seeing that and I have followed the directions on the web and I can say I am somewhat versed in basic wiring and understanding how circuitry works.

I am not sure if this is due to a recent update to my bike firmware where they reduces the amperage to the acc skt or the new firmware upgrade for the Zumo unit.

Couple of other items:

If I leave the Zumo cradled (being powered by the bike) and depress the power button on the Zumo, the Zumo turns off but 60 seconds later it powers back on using the battery. Bizarre...

When I remove the Zumo from the cradle it does prompt for going to battery.

Anyone have any insight into these phenomenon?

Cheers! - Walt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2007, 10:13 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium5
Hello everyone,

I have a Zumo 550 on my K1200R and I used the stock power cord that came with the unit to plug into pins 1 and 3 (brown being ground - pin 1 and red/white being hot - pin 3) on the accessory socket (acc skt).

According to many websites and a link on the forums: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...8&page=1&pp=10 the bike is supposed to release power to the unit after the bike is shut down and then the Zumo asks your if you want to resume on battery. Nobody mentioned how long this will take. I have sat there for 15 minutes waiting for it to power down. LOL…

Well, I am not seeing that and I have followed the directions on the web and I can say I am somewhat versed in basic wiring and understanding how circuitry works.

I am not sure if this is due to a recent update to my bike firmware where they reduces the amperage to the acc skt or the new firmware upgrade for the Zumo unit.

Couple of other items:

If I leave the Zumo cradled (being powered by the bike) and depress the power button on the Zumo, the Zumo turns off but 60 seconds later it powers back on using the battery. Bizarre...

When I remove the Zumo from the cradle it does prompt for going to battery.

Anyone have any insight into these phenomenon?
I'll bet that it will eventually go off. There seems to be no way to predict how long it will take to shut down. My GS will sometimes keep that circuit alive for 20 minutes. I would recommend that you leave it alone and see if it eventually turns off. There have been some reported cases of DC-DC converter devices (your Zumo operates on one) fooling the circuit and keeping it 'alive'. I have not run into that with any of my bikes - my GS has a Zumo and a 376C powered off of that circuit. My other two have 2720s. The GS seems to stay on a lot longer with the Zumo mounted, but still will shut off after 10-15 minutes.

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2007, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

Thank you Randy!

I'll let it set there and check up on it after 20-30 minutes.

I'm going to call the tech as well at the local shop and provide any updates on this thread.

Cheers! - Walt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2007, 5:28 pm

I've got the same 550 mounted on my 07 GT using the same power feed. I've seen the "resume on battery" prompt only once when I first installed it. Since then I never paid it much attention. I've had it shut down by itself during long gas stops, so I know it doesn't stay on longer than 15 mins or so. On the other hand I wasn't sitting there watching it so I don't know if the resume prompt came on or if it just turned off. Aside from that, I usually turn mine off manually if I'm walking away from the bike to avoid tempting looky-loos to mess with it. I've never had the Zumo turn itself on except when starting the bike.

I haven't had any software upgrade on the bike since I picked it up Oct 06; however, that may happen when I go in for service on Friday. I did update the Zumo a couple of weeks ago - after having it a little over a month there had already been two minor updates.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2007, 7:03 pm
Addict

Mine always shuts of within 2 minutes.

2007 KGT1200 running 7.1

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2007, 7:56 pm
Veteran

Mine always pops up the "Resume on Battery Power? Yes or No" when I immediately shut off the key. It powers down a few seconds after that if I don't hit "Yes" button.

Of course, it is tied into the Autocom #1258 Can-Bus Power Relay Switch the dealer recommended and installed when I bought the bike.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 11:26 am Thread Starter

OK, I am dumbfounded. Guess what?! It is starting to work now, just this morning.

Not sure for some reason but I think the bike had to "learn" something was on the bus.

Who knows. I blame gremlins and BMW.

Thanks for the input everyone. I just thought I was doing something wrong. Guess not.

Cheers! - Walt
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2007, 10:12 pm

If anyone else is looking for this kind of power for their Zumo, you can get all of the parts already assembled here:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...4365#post74365
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2007, 9:58 pm
Noob

The newer bikes shut off all external power 90 seconds after the key is turned off. It also causes a problem if you use a battery tender (you have to connect to the battery) the plug ins go dead after the 90 sec delay.

Kit 07KGT
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2007, 1:12 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDXKIT
The newer bikes shut off all external power 90 seconds after the key is turned off. It also causes a problem if you use a battery tender (you have to connect to the battery) the plug ins go dead after the 90 sec delay.
. . . then the zumo will sense that it is no longer plugged into a power source and shutdown 30 seconds later if you leave it alone.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in