Garmin Streetpilot 2730 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 11:23 pm Thread Starter

Garmin Streetpilot 2730

Here comes the unit I have been waiting for--XM and MP3 player in the 26xx/27xx box. I can use all my 2610 mounts and power/audio cables. Street price running about $900 and available in December. Now waiting for XM to offer a WX lite at something less than the $30/month for the cheapest plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 11:46 pm

Yep, looks like this MAY be the one.

My only concern is the built-in City Navigator. As I understand the 2720, it too has this and you CAN NOT layout a trip on your PC an the download to the unit, nor can you upload a just completed trip. To some, this makes the unit worthless.

I read about the downloadabble POI, but that is all that they discuss.

There were some other negatives of the 2720.....I wonder if this unit kept those? Will have to do a search to find out what they were.

Searched the archives.....the other main complaint was that it didn't support the transparent overlays. One poster claims that you can purchase the PC software and download to the 2720, even though it is not supported.

I downloaded the operators manual. Can't find the detailed specs as in if it uses internal memory or a hard drive. How much memory is for MP3, custom POI, etec.

bmwsporttouring website claims that is is a dumbed down XM WX weather and that the XM traffic is updated only by phone calls and not accurate. Not sure how he knows.

Randy

Last edited by htheater; Nov 1st, 2005 at 12:29 am.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 8:30 am

The manual states "Map Storage: Pre-programmed internal memory." Compare that to the 26xx series which states internal hard drive. No info on how the memory is divided. Curiously, the flash drive screen shots don't show the capacity - how convenient.

As for the traffic info, it's an XM service - no phone update required (except perhaps to activate the service).

I'm curious about how this compares to the 376 (screen brightness, features, etc.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 4:25 pm Thread Starter

Garmin 2730

Garmin has negotiated an XM bundle for $16.94/month (radio, wx and navtraffic) plus a one time activation fee. I've spoken with both Garmin and XM today and no one really knows what will be included in the weather package--as long as it has radar I will be happy with that price. I don't usually plan trips on the computer or download tracks that often so the lack of that feature will not other me. The biggest difference between the 26xx/27xx boxes and the 376 is the touch screen. Once you are used to the touch screen it is very hard to go back to scrolling up and down and across an alpahbet in order to spell out anything. I used my GPS V this past weekend and lose of touchscreen spelling was a bit frustrating and s...l...o...w.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 6:34 pm

I think you misunderstood me about the XM Traffic and phone calls. What the poster on bmwsportouring.com said is that they update the traffice conditions based on people calling in problems. In other words you are driving down the road and see and accident and you call it in, then they mark it as an accident there.

Our local radio stations use a combination of things. Traffic Aircraft, On-line Traffic Cameras, Police Department contacts AND listeners calling in (it takes at least 3 callers to "validate" the problem). IF XM is only using the call-in proceedure, then it IS worthless. IF XM uses a local radio station's info and then enters that data, then it is probably worthwhile.

Hopefullly it does have NEXRAD radar. If it does, I will most likely get one too. If no radar, no purchase. The statement of a "dumbed down XM weather" seems to be true if the pricing is less than $17/month for all of it. The 376 users are paying twice that for weahter and XM and NO TRAFFIC!

Like I stated - I am not sure where the poster got his/her info!

Randy
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 8:51 pm

Sorry, Randy. Misunderstood indeed.

Reading up on the traffic feature, it's typically based mostly on road-bed sensors and traffic cameras that monitor traffic flow in metro areas. The information feeds to central traffic control systems that the local radio and tv stations access for their reports. In turn, commercial providers (like XM) make it available to consumers.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 9:01 pm

Good info....where did you find this? Looks like the other poster was wrong!

Thanks!

Randy
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 6:55 am

One source was Traffic Pulse found at traffic.com. This is one of the services that XM uses for their live traffic info.. According to the traffic pulse site:

Where does Traffic.com get traffic information?

We get our information from three types of sources: digital traffic sensors, those of our commercial and government partners, and our traffic operations staff. Our own network of sensors is already deployed in many major metropolitan areas, and is rapidly expanding to additional cities. Where local or state government agencies have available data from their sensors or systems, we integrate as much of that data as possible as well. Finally, we maintain a traffic operations staff to monitor traffic conditions in each of the cities we serve.

The traffic operations staff use a variety of means (such as listening to police and fire scanners, monitoring traffic cameras, driving cars, and flying helicopters or fixed wing aircraft) to collect information and enter into our systems. All of the information we get from these varied sources is combined together to provide you with the most complete, accurate and timely traffic information possible.

They go on to say the measured information is updated every 60 seconds. That's about as close to real time for stalled traffic as could be expected.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 7:15 am

SReynen,
That's good news on the XM package. Considering radio-only is $12+, $16 for the package is a good deal (as long as it can be the base service in a multi-radio account).

I'm really interested in the visibility difference, if any, between the 376 and 2730. Borrowed my wife's street pilot III for one trip and had to shade the screen to see anything. Your comments would be appreciated (on the 26xx brightness, since you have one).

I emailed Garmin to try and get specifics on the capacity for MP3's, flash disk, etc. Also wanted more info on memory augmentation, like CF or anything else that might be available.

Oh Christmas is going to be so much fun - my lady knows I really want a Garmin, Autocomm's are half price, and she loves her music!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 7:55 am Thread Starter

Screen readability

I used a shade on my 2610 (now a Nav II) and it helped a lot. The 2730 has a "sunlight readable TFT display" like the 376, so sunlight reading should not present a problem.

The Garmin guy I talked to said the CF compartment is gone and all extra memory is done internally. According to Joe Mehaffey the newer 2720 are shipping with software for trip planning on a PC that can then be downloaded to the GPS--I would assume that will be trur for the 2730 too, but who knows?

The Navtraffic part ofo the XM packae sounds pretty cool and I was reading more about it last night--with 14 Chicago transits this past year it may come in handy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode