in helmet headphones for ipod - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

in helmet headphones for ipod

Hi guys, posting this to make riding two up easier.
Can anyone recommend or steer me towards in-helmet headphones for use with an ipod? I don't know if I'm searching wrong or if there isn't really anything available. All my searches just bring up crap and earbuds. I use earbuds with my iphone and don't mind them in my ear. However the boss doesn't like earbuds to use with her ipod. She has a Scorpion helmet which looks to have enough interior room for some sort of flat speakers, maybe velcro'ed in? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2008, 7:33 am
Enthusiast

There is a lot of good stuff said about the Entymotic ER6 earbuds, but I went the way of custom fit in-ear speakers from Big Ear. I had the molds made by their rep at the Cycle World show in Atlanta and then ordered the speakers from the factory later. It took about 3-4 weeks after my order for the product to arrive. The fit is perfect and I can wear them all day without discomfort. Noise attenuation is very good which lets me listen to music at a lower volume. I think I paid $299 for them which may seem expensive, but the fit and comfort make them well worth it.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2008, 10:28 am
Addict

You have to check first on the ohms spec for what you want to use. Most things are low ohms in the range of about 20-50, some things are high ohms. Next if you are going 'out of ear' you need flat high sensitivity units.

I cannibalised a Sony walkman headset. These use a very efficient small loudspeaker type transducer so put out a lot of noise for not much input. I managed to fit the units in my BMW helmet as I found after peeling the sponge away they had left nice compartments for their own expensive comms options.

I didn't want a permanent long wire so I fitted a small 3.5mm inline jack socket which can be tucked away under the front chin foam when I'm not using the speakers.

I only use mine for satnav. However if you are after music quality that might be a tall order since most of these small units are open at the rear to shape their response and inside the helmet they are just resting in foam. Double sided adhesive carpet tape works well for holding the wires and fixing the phones.

The walkman headset was a left over from the kids, but they probably only cost $20 or so. If I look at other (affordable) helmets in future I'll definitely see if there are any I like with speakers built in and I'd like a nice waterproof connection point on the helmet itself.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2008, 1:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
There is a lot of good stuff said about the Entymotic ER6 earbuds, but I went the way of custom fit in-ear speakers from Big Ear. I had the molds made by their rep at the Cycle World show in Atlanta and then ordered the speakers from the factory later. It took about 3-4 weeks after my order for the product to arrive. The fit is perfect and I can wear them all day without discomfort. Noise attenuation is very good which lets me listen to music at a lower volume. I think I paid $299 for them which may seem expensive, but the fit and comfort make them well worth it.
+1

I had them made and the company improved them, I ordered the newer set... I still use both and have had them in for 12+ straight hours without any discomfort!

Well worth the $$!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2008, 1:21 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugWest
She has a Scorpion helmet which looks to have enough interior room for some sort of flat speakers, maybe velcro'ed in? Any suggestions are appreciated.
I installed the speakers from these Koss Titanium Headphones from RadioShack in my helmet. It's hard to tell from the picture, but the actual speaker pops right off the headphone plastic, it's a little less than 2" across and about 1/4" thick, perfect for a helmet.

I did this as a replacement for my Autocom speakers, so it's not connected directly to the iPod, but I don't think that should matter. It'd be easy enough to just use the wires that came with the headphones to connect them. With the Autocom providing amplification, these speakers are LOUD. I chose them specifically for the volume after comparing them with a few other headphones. I wear earplugs when I ride, and I can hear the music just fine even with the earplugs in.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I've been busy working for a few days, haven't had time to come online. We'll probably check out the various suggestions in the next week or so. The Koss headphones sound promising.
Thanks again.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 7:07 pm
Rookie

I have been using the Etymotic ER6i with my IPOD and they are awsome!!!
They are located in your area.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2008, 5:09 pm
Noob

i got a pair of shure headphones, they work great. they have a snug fit to block out all wind noise. i can keep the volume at 25%, when i used the ear buds the volume had to be at least 75%.

http://store.shure.com/store/shure/e...oryID.12165500
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2008, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

I looked at the etymotic for myself. A couple people at the store were raving about them but too pricey for me. I'm not that picky for myself. The C-note for the Sennheiser MM i50 is about my limit. I guess I'm somewhat surprised at the amount of earphones available versus actual headphones. Leaving headphones velcroed to the inside of the lid seems like a good idea but what do I know. The Koss headphones for my wife's lid look the most promising sofar. She just doesn't like things in her ears. yeah, yeah

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode