Atrio M5 earphones-- will they fit well under a helmet? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2009, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

Atrio M5 earphones-- will they fit well under a helmet?

Considering in-ear phones for passenger. Read many reviews, and the Atrio M5 model is
highly reviewed. Anyone use these? I need to know if they fit under a helmet. Hi- Fi is im-
portant as I have a high-end system (Baehr Ultima XL preamp/amp, Garmin Zumo with
XM, ipod, etc.). My personal phones are custom-fitted Ultimate Ears, which are superb,
but I need universal-fit phones for passengers. I'm also considering Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5
and Etymotics ER 6i Isolator phones.

Any input much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 12:51 am
Veteran

If it's for a woman I'd be concerned that the length of the triple flange in-ear models would be able to seat fully. In my own experience, the triples have a bit more bass, but they also have a tendency to pinch off the sound with an odd ear bend while under a helmet. I have both the Etymotic 6 and 6i and the dual flange of the 6 model is easier on the ear beneath the helmet. The 6i triple-flange just cuts off too much and I always need to stick my fingers under the helmet and try and re-seat it.

Of course, you could always get her the Ultimate Ears UE-11 and that should make her happy. Just don't order a pair in the next two weeks until I get mine out of their lab.

"Curious. Which custom model UE do you have?"

Mack
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 2:05 am

the shape looks like they would hurt with the helmet on. I've used the er6i's in the past with no problems . I now have some westone um1's that work well. I did add a little foam tape to the edge to make sure they didn't shift during long rides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 2:58 pm Thread Starter

Mack-- thanks for the advice. I have the top of the line UE's- I don't remember the model #-- they have 3 drivers-- if you've ordered these you'll be impressed-- even at speed they sound BETTER than home headphones at rest.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 9:43 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelfaule
Mack-- thanks for the advice. I have the top of the line UE's- I don't remember the model #-- they have 3 drivers-- if you've ordered these you'll be impressed-- even at speed they sound BETTER than home headphones at rest.
Glad to hear you like them.

I have some Sensaphonics Pro2X that were molded in silicon for comfort, but they have lousy bass as they do not seal well. I had them done twice and they still won't seal so they now reside in their little box. Sort of a waste of $750. They only have dual-drivers though so I thought I'd try the new quad-driver UE model called UE11 to see if the extra two drivers for lows makes that much difference.

They used to be based in Las Vegas but are off the 405 freeway in Irvine, CA. They had a following in Vegas as they seemed to have all artists who played there stop by and get some. Their Owner's List is pretty impressive.

They rejected the first mold impression as it wasn't deep enough past the second ear bend. They informed me a day to two ago that the the second set submitted looks good. Mine won't be ready for another 2-3 weeks though. Can't stand the wait!

Mack
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:27 pm

The ER6i's fit fine under a helmet. I have 3 pr. that I use. I would also suggest Q-Jays..about twice the price, smaller overall, but dual drivers....most excellent for the budget minded.

F

05LT
07GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode