nano - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

nano

I picked up a 4 GB ipod nano this afternoon and I have to say I am very impressed. It took about 1 hour to transfer all my files from the notebook to the nano and to charge its batteries. I haven't tried it on the bike yet but I do have a set of Etymotic 6i headphones that do a good job of blocking wind noise on the bike and sound very good off the bike so I think it will work well. The sound quality from the nano (with the nano earbuds and the 6i) is nothing short of incredible. If anything better than directly from the notebook which seems to introduce its own noise.
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

bike riding impressions

Finally got to test the nano on a bike ride. It was great! The Etymotic earplugs are even quieter than the earplugs I had been using so there was almost no sound coming through other than the music and since the music is totally without noise, it is quite an experience.

I always thought riding with tunes would be distracting. I now believe it is just the opposite. It felt like I was more focused on the riding. I guess because the music keeps my mind from wandering around. It also seems to intensity the riding experience.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2005, 1:36 pm
Enthusiast

Er-6

I can't believe you like the ER-6's. Maybe I just have a defective set. Mine are total junk. No bass and a very tinny sound. I've heard better quality from a 1950's AM radio. I've tried them with my desktop and with another piece of junk, a Roady XM radio. The Roady doesn't offer any bass or volume adjustment, and to add brillance, it's 6 volt so you have to use a 12 to 6 volt transformer to have it work on the bike. IMHO, they're both junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2005, 3:51 pm

If you're getting no bass and a tinny sound, you don't have the ER-6's inserted deep enough. With mine in, I can place my hand over my ear and not feel the plug sticking out. They give a wonderfully rich, full response when properly seated.

I certainly wouldn't characterize them as trash. I'd be happy to take them off your hands if you think they're not worth keeping.

MBohn, the only problem I have with the music is I occassionally dance with my GT. Kinda fun actually.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2005, 11:22 am
Enthusiast

Etymotic is sending me some smaller tips to see if that will help. I've tried removing the tips and putting them as deep in my ear as will allow. Still get the tinny sound.

Unless something good happens, I'll be listing the earphones and the Roady on this site and e-bay for sale.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2005, 11:37 am

There are two different models, the ER-6 (48 Ohm)and the ER-6i(16 ohm). The ER-6i has a lower impedance, and works better with the Nano. The ER-6 is meant to be used with a stronger amp. I am looking into the ER-6i for the NANO, since my ER4s(100 ohm) do not work as well (too much impedance).

www.etymotic.com/ephp/epcomp.aspx shows the comparison. Also, Amazon has a pretty good price on the 6i's, since Apple want $140 for them. Amazon was in the high $80's.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2005, 8:58 am
Enthusiast

I bought mine from CompUSA for ~$75. The problem with the deal is that now Etymotic doesn't want to work with me to fix my problem. They offered new, smaller, tips, but they never came. No refund available with CompUSA. In this case it would have been better to pay full price. At least I could have returned them.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2006, 1:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbohn
I picked up a 4 GB ipod nano this afternoon and I have to say I am very impressed. It took about 1 hour to transfer all my files from the notebook to the nano and to charge its batteries. I haven't tried it on the bike yet but I do have a set of Etymotic 6i headphones that do a good job of blocking wind noise on the bike and sound very good off the bike so I think it will work well. The sound quality from the nano (with the nano earbuds and the 6i) is nothing short of incredible. If anything better than directly from the notebook which seems to introduce its own noise.
Mark
Just wondering why the nano? The new video playing i-pod is in all reality not that big. And for 50 dollars more you get...well video for one...and you get like 7 times the storage capacity. 4gigs as opposed to 30gigs (or 60! so add 100$) in the larger version. I dunno..I liked the look and size of the nano at first but the cheapness in me forced me too look at function. what am I really getting for 250$? a space saving mp3? sure...neato...gimme the slightly bigger one with 30 gigs even if it is huge . I could probably fit all of the music I own on the nano....but I know for sure I could on the large version. heck, I could probably fit all of yours on there too!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2006, 2:37 am
Enthusiast

The Nano is flash-based memory as opposed to a hard drive in the regular iPod. That's means something to me as I bought my daughter a hard drive based MP3 player only to have it fail 18 months later. A hard drive being so mechanical, well, sooner or later....

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2006, 5:27 am

Drizzy, easy answer on this one. When he originally posted this last year, the video ipod was not released yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode