Using earbuds while riding? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2005, 4:25 pm Thread Starter

Using earbuds while riding?

Does anyone use earbuds to listen to music while riding? I've tried it a couple of times but find it disconcerting not to be able to hear ambient noise and the cars around me. Regular out of the ear earphones seem safer to me, but maybe I'm missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2005, 7:42 pm
dez

I use them but only on long trips - also I cover the ear with a piece of blue painter's masking tape to keep the bud in place under the helmet - learned that trick from an auto-racer buddy. I use Sony's product inexpensive and functional.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Sony_MDR_EX5...ml?dcaid=17282

no affiliations.

dez
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2005, 7:47 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

Cool ear plugs

I use the ER6 from etymotic research and have not noticed them to block out all outside noise. I don't feel in the least unsafe while wearing them listening to tumes while riding. Earphones on the other hand need to be cranked up so much to block out the wind noise that the music is barely recognizable. actually this is in another thread currently running about headphones who uses them

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2005, 8:18 pm

Two thumbs WAAAYYY up for the ER6 earphone/plugs. What a pleasure to wear and listen to. I can even use my IPOD and ER6's on my lawn tractor which has to be twice as loud as my bike.
Admittedly expensive, probably the best $100 I've spent in a long time. Except maybe for that time in Amsterdam....
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2005, 10:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzmann
Two thumbs WAAAYYY up for the ER6 earphone/plugs. What a pleasure to wear and listen to. I can even use my IPOD and ER6's on my lawn tractor which has to be twice as loud as my bike.
Admittedly expensive, probably the best $100 I've spent in a long time. Except maybe for that time in Amsterdam....
I give the ER-6's one thumb up, the other down...I have had mine since June (overpaid for them at the rally, only 80 bucks on amazon.com now). I use them daily whenever I ride. Yesterday, the right stopped producing much sound...no big deal, as per their instructions, tried to do the filter replacement. Well, the metal ring that holds the on one of the rubber plug came off (which means the rubber part gets stuck in my ear (not fun). I super glued the right metal ring on tonight, hopefully it sticks. As much as I love these things, I hope these last more than a year...otherwise I will have to find another means for music. I cannot do without music anymore while riding, thanks to XM

I disagree with the bs about not being able to hear the bike ect with in ear headphones. It is no worse than listening to music in a car IMHO. Case in point, sunday I was at a stop light and heard sirens coming from somewhere...cager next to me didn't, he went thru the light and almost collided with the cop. If you ride often and don't have some form of hearing protection (the er's are, they block over 12db ), you are destroying your hearing.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 9:38 am

Koss Ear Buds - Koss Spark Plugs

Greetings,

I use either the Koss Ear Buds ($20) or Spark Plugs ($20). Both are in-the-canal earbuds that depending on volume level provides enough ambient noise to stay aware of your surroundings.

Incidently, I use the earbuds with the Treo 650 using Pocket-Tunes with a 1Gb SD card holding my music/playlists. These is a great setup for me as it gets rid of one electronic device. Also the PTunes has shoutcast.com capability allowing for streaming music in a covered area.

The earbuds provide the bass I was looking for as well as staying in place with the helmet.

Kaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgemmons
Does anyone use earbuds to listen to music while riding? I've tried it a couple of times but find it disconcerting not to be able to hear ambient noise and the cars around me. Regular out of the ear earphones seem safer to me, but maybe I'm missing something?
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 11:39 am

Here you go...a cheap alternative to the ER-6's maybe? Hack puts a standard foam ear plug on to Koss ear buds for better isolation.

http://www.headwize.com/projects/cmoy4_prj.htm

I have not tried this hack yet, but will soon as a backup to my ER6's (glue appears to be holding now)
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 12:09 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

the plug

I have a set of the plugs by koss with the ER4 tips on them, they are my backup but not nearly as good soundig as the Etymotic er6's

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 12:29 pm
JMc

Talking

ER6's here as well...and who worries about price; don't we ride BMW's?
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2005, 2:47 pm

ER6s with a Sirius Streamer GT satalite radio. Blocks out most noise but you can still hear sirens etc. Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode