iPOD Controls on-bike? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 8:20 am Thread Starter

Question iPOD Controls on-bike?

On the bike I listen to my iPod through an Autocom system, so I can answer my phone and talk to the Significant Other when she rides with me. BUT ...

... it's a freakin' pain to have to stop, select neutral, take off a glove, zip open the tankbag and switch off the iPod keylock before I can pause music. Surely there's an easier way?

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 8:32 am
Enthusiast

Haven't done it myself, however, many of our members have. There is a product called Ice Link see this url: http://densionusa.com/merchant/merch...ry_Code=IA_BMW

Also check out the old archives for further info. regarding members who have used the product mentioned.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 9:19 am Thread Starter

Thanks. Haven't looked too closely, but I think that's something which links into the stereo on the LT? Is it likely to work on a non-stereo-equipped ride such as the S?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:55 am

Did you get a remote with your ipod? I clip my remote to the edge of a map on my tank bag and can contol volume, skip a song, pause or turn the ipod on and off. All without taking off my gloves or stopping.
Also, you can pick up a wireless remote with larger controls and mount it any where you like.

Jeff
K12RS Taxi
K1
R1150GS
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 9:29 pm
Addict-oholic

Smile

I have the engineered audi remote remote which plugs into the ipod and I have it attached to my handlebar with velcro and it works beautifully
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjam66
Thanks. Haven't looked too closely, but I think that's something which links into the stereo on the LT? Is it likely to work on a non-stereo-equipped ride such as the S?
You are correct....the IceLink interfaces to factory stereos....not for you!

Check out this review. I purchased the Griffin AirClick for about $25 plus shipping from TigerDirect.com. There are cheaper prices listed on Amazon, but, add in their shipping and they end up near the same. I have purchased many other items from TigerDirect and have always received promptly and w/o incident.

BTW....the cradle will velcro to the left mirror of an RS and allow full control w/o removing your hand from the handlebar. The buttons are large enough (the reason I did not get the BLACK version of the RemoteRemote 2) to use with gloves!

Randy
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:26 pm
Enthusiast

The iPOD remote is the easiest way. Like others who've posted, I run the remote from the iPOD which is inside my tankbag. I glued velco to the back of the remote so it sticks on my tank bag. The remote is much smaller than the air click. As a bonus, you plug your earplug into the end of the remote control which gives you plenty of room to run the wire wherever you want it. Nothing could be easier.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:38 pm

Which remote are you talking about? Can you provide a link?

OK....I did a little research since "iPod Remote" is used as a description for every remote out there! Apple offers two themselves. One is an IR remote and is used with the docking station and one is a hardwired remote. I assume you are talking about the hardwired remote.

A few comments:

IF you use a tankbag and keep your iPod and/or Autocom in it, then I can see how the hardwired is probably the best solution. This assumes a few things. First, that the buttons are large enought to easily use with gloves on (sometimes smaller is NOT better with electronics). Second, that you don't mind taking your hands off of the handlebar and looking down at your tank bag to see the controls on that small remote.

The AirClick remote is not large, but is larger than the keyfob sized RemoteRemote 2 and the hardwired iPod Remote. It comes with a mount and includes Velcro straps that very quikcly and easily attach to the RS mirror stalk, allowing you to keep your hands on the handlebar and not having to glance down as much as looking at a tank bag. Also, the buttons are large enough and spaced out far enough, it is very easy to hit the outer buttons (Play/Pause at the top and Volume UP/DWN at the bottom) without taking your eyes off of the road at all.

For me, since I only use the iPod and it is slipped into my jacket pocket with the cord running inside the jacket and then out the bottom and then up to the pocket, a wireless remote was a MUST.....I don't like the idea of any wires running from me to the bike.

When a decent wireless unit comes out, I will then get an Autocomm type device and add-in other things like the radar detector, GPS and Intercom.

Randy

Last edited by htheater; Oct 22nd, 2005 at 12:17 am.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 3:30 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all this, guys. Like Randy I found the remote that comes with the iPod too small to use wth gloved hands and too awkward to position nicely so that I don't have to take my eyes off the road. Oh, and I also pulled it apart one day getting off the bike!! It went back together okay, but the slide to lock the keys was lost ... Doh!!

Randy, the AirClick looks great. Have you found it to be waterproof? If there's one thing the UK is known for, it's rain ...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 8:55 am

Jim,

Good question. I have always taken the unit off when it rains (takes about 5 seconds). While being mounted to the mirror stalk is convienent, the unit it out in the open (Pic 2).

The back is solid and also protected by the mount so I wouldn't be concerned about rain "forced" into it by speed. Since you inquired, I took mine apart and have attached pictures. Looking at the construction, I would say it is fairly water resistant, but definitely NOT waterproof. The button overlay is one large piece, so water seeping in around each button is not possible, however, there is a standoff in the middle (for the pca hold-down screw) where water could get in and the overlay doesn't cover the bottom 1/3 (as mounted on the stalk) so water can get by these two locations (Pic 3). Also the "Hold" switch is on top of the unit...this would be my number one concern in a pouring rain (probably OK in a mist or fog).

I would think it would be rather easy to mount it up by instruments, taking away the advantage of not having to take you hand off of the handlebars, but adding protection. You could also easily fashion a thin rain cover.

I threw in some other pictures just for grins!

Good luck!

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AirClick and Craddle.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	505.6 KB
ID:	180   Click image for larger version

Name:	AirClick Exposed.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	467.3 KB
ID:	181   Click image for larger version

Name:	AirClick Buton Overlay.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	182   Click image for larger version

Name:	AirClick PCA Button Side.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	472.4 KB
ID:	183   Click image for larger version

Name:	AirClick PCA Back Side.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	184  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AirClick Closeup.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	185  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode