Ear Phones - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2005, 11:36 am Thread Starter

Ear Phones

Just rode to work on I-5 at 05:30 85-95MPH the new Challenger M-Series Isolation Ear Phones worked great. They are pricey but I got old fashioned good customer service like you just don't get anymore. http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/index.html recommend these folks! Now for my question, I listen to a iRiver MP3 and have a XM Roady II. I want to get bike to bike capabilities and I am thinking Autocom. Will I also need something like the Mix-It2 at least for volume control?

PJ
03 K1200GT
04 R1150RT
01 FXDX Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2005, 1:26 pm
Enthusiast

I bought the ER-6 earphones from Etymotic. What a joke. NO bass with a very tinny sound. I can't believe the postiive reports I read on ER-6 phones on this site. I guess it just goes to show you that quality is in the ear of the beholder.

I'm junking the ER-6 and considering Challenger M. Do you get deep bass with the Challenger? How about wind noise?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Ear Phones

I get little to no wind noise. I am 6'0" and ride a 03 GT with stock wind screen and Laminar Lip. The Challenger M is not BIG on base but then the Jazz I listen to on my MP3 probably isn't base high anyway. So far I am pleased with the product and the customer service was great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2005, 10:29 pm
Enthusiast

Thumbs up ER-6 vs. Challneger M

I have a set of Challenger M's, and they're the cat's ass. Good bass response, and like the web site says; there's nothing lacking in these.
A lot depends on what you ride and how fast you ride, and oh, is the wind blowing at me or is it behind me ? I ride A K12RS with the stock screen.
The ER-6's only have an attenuation of 6dB noise reduction. Foam ear plugs are rated at 29dB or 33 dB. The difference in noise reduction between wearing my foam ear plugs and the Challenger's with NO music on is: the Challenger is definitely quieter. It has to be. The thing is stuck right in your ear.
Visit www.earplugco.com, and order yours from a guy who rides a K12.
He's been there, he knows what he's doing. Good luck.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2005, 11:09 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

Talking Er6 vs anything

I am willing to take your ER6's off your hands any time, I like the way they sound just fine and yes they don't block as much of the outside out as custom molded earplugs. That is a good thing, I like to hear the bike to see if any new noise crops up, the road noise and the outside traffic noise. I was not impressed with earplug co. talked with them at the shelbyville tn rally. I imagine most custom molded earplugs are fine if that what you want, I am well pleased with my $90 ER6's.

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 7:17 pm

Anybody know the difference between the Challenger M's and the Challenger C's? I'm thinking of ordering a pair. I was sold on the ER-6s until I read about the Challengers. I find the foam earplugs tend to make my Tinnitus worse and I'm thinking it is the pressure from the expanding earplug. I've used some custom molded plugs before shooting with good results so I'll sell something to fund a set of the Challengers. --Jerry
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 9:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by budcarrigan
I bought the ER-6 earphones from Etymotic. What a joke. NO bass with a very tinny sound. I can't believe the postiive reports I read on ER-6 phones on this site. I guess it just goes to show you that quality is in the ear of the beholder.

I'm junking the ER-6 and considering Challenger M. Do you get deep bass with the Challenger? How about wind noise?

I would venture to guess a couple of things. A) What kind of player are you using? B) Are you seating the ER6's fairly deep in your ear and getting a suction-like seal? If you have a good quality player and are seating the plugs properly, you should realize some bass. Granted, they aren't gonna be Sony studio monitors or Bose QC2's, but for an in-ear monitor, I believe they are awesome and I wouldn't ride without them.

One other thing, do you have the 2-flange or 3-flange plugs on your ER-6's? You might also notice a difference with the 3-flange if you aren't already using those.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2006, 3:33 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsienville
I would venture to guess a couple of things. A) What kind of player are you using? B) Are you seating the ER6's fairly deep in your ear and getting a suction-like seal? If you have a good quality player and are seating the plugs properly, you should realize some bass. Granted, they aren't gonna be Sony studio monitors or Bose QC2's, but for an in-ear monitor, I believe they are awesome and I wouldn't ride without them.

One other thing, do you have the 2-flange or 3-flange plugs on your ER-6's? You might also notice a difference with the 3-flange if you aren't already using those.
It could have been the fit. I tried inserting them with different tips, but nothing seemed to help. I bought a set of Challengers'. Waiting on delivery so nothing to report just yet.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2006, 5:22 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by budcarrigan

I retuned my ER-6's too and picked up a set of Shure E-3's instead. I also had http://www.sensaphonics.com/prod_shure_sleeve.html make me up a set of custom sleeves for them to reduce the wind noise while riding.

Jerry
K1200RS
Ducati 996
KLR 250
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2006, 6:14 am
Addict

Dang pricey!! I want some, not sure about the challengers though. I'm looking around to see what I can sell to finance....hmm.....wish I could sell the wife's shoes!!

I'm planning a trip from New Orleans to Las Vegas in October, need to have something by then.

Thanks for your review,

Gravity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode