XM Antenna safe to mount w/o the screws? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2008, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

XM Antenna safe to mount w/o the screws?

Hello everyone. I've got a Zumo 550 mounted on top of the clutch resevoir. The antenna mount for the XM puck is mounted to the Zumo cradle, so it sits just above and forward of the Zumo cradle. Besides the puck being magnetized, there are 2 scres to hold it to the antenna mounting.

I'd like to be able to easily remove the Zumo and puck antenna from the bike, so I can move it to a car. The car mount works well for the zumo, but I haven't been bringing the puck antenna along with it. I'd like to be able to use the XM radio in the car too. Plus, I always worry about leaving the antenna on the bike.

So, is the magnet in the antenna base strong enough to securely hold it to the antenna base plate, or should I continue to use screws to hold it? If it's not safe to go w/o screws, does anyone know where I can find screws of the size needed that have "wings" so I can unscrew it with my hands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2008, 6:37 pm
Rookie

Antenna

Yes it will hold. However during the ride you may need to adjust it. I went to home depot and got a big piece of velcro 2.99 and it did not move anymore.

I have however removed the antenna from the front of the bike and used the extension to mount it on my top cases. Much better reception and to take it to the car takes about 30 seconds. It is locked in when the seat is on.

Stefan
04 K1200GT

It's All about the Fun
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2008, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Stefan. I have lots of velcro available. That's a nice idea.

Haven't had any reception problems with the current setup, but if I do I'll definitely keep the topcase mount in mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2009, 5:48 am
Rookie

Velcro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just use Velcro the industrial stuff. Have used it for years now and have had no problems, and its cheap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode