Garmin GXM30 antenna problem. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2010, 8:16 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Garmin GXM30 antenna problem.

I've just added XM antenna (GXM30) to my Zumo 550. Bought the antenna on eBay. Installed it under the windscreen (K1200S). It works fine as long as the bike idles or moves with a constant speed. As soon as I start accelerating hard, or just raise RPM to 6 - 7K (standing still) the radio looses the signal completely!
Does anyone experience the same problem? Is it a defective antenna, or some kind of interference with the ignition system, spark plugs, etc.?
GPS and antenna are powered from original BMW navigation connector (located in front of a battery). Spark plugs and wires are all original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SNC00018_01.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	12292  

Last edited by ZR1000A1; Jul 4th, 2010 at 8:44 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2010, 11:31 am
Veteran

Mine has never done that. The only time it cuts out is in canyons when signal from the satellite is lost for a brief moment. I could rev it to redline and not lose the signal standing still.

Yours sounds defective, like maybe a loose connection someplace. There were instances of the plug into the Garmin holder being corroded and people used some cleaner and dielectric grease there to clean it up. The pins on the Zumo cradle were suspect too in the 550 series (clean and apply dielectric and tighten the cradle to GPS with some Velcro disks to secure it better to the pins against vibration). Mine would cut out at speed and I could bring it back by squeezing it in the mount. Velcro on the mount help in that vibration mess.

Mack
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2010, 6:55 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

I relocated the antenna and cleaned the connector. It works much better now. It still looses the signal @ 9K - 10K RPM, but I can live with it. I usually don't ride at that RPM on the streets, and when I race - I don't listen to the radio .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SNC00019_01.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	12302   Click image for larger version

Name:	SNC00021_01.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	12303  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode