Sirius/XM? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:16 pm Thread Starter

Question Sirius/XM?

Looks like there are some big sales on both Sirius and XM units.

See this: http://tinyurl.com/8b443

An XM for $19,95 and a Sirius for $29.95.

Everyone I know that has satellite radio has XM. But the Sirius has NPR, NFL and Stern. Talk about weird bedfellows. Does anyone have the Sirius service on a bike out there? Any opinions on whether the Xm is better than the Sirius or vice versa.

gbm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2005, 10:21 am

I have the Sirius Streamer GT. I bought it for $65.00 at the local truck stop. Very compact unit about the size of a cigarette pack with a very good display even in sunlight. I can also work all the controls with a glove on. I plug Etymotic ER6 noise isolating earbuds directly into the unit and it works great. Never have to turn the volume up more than half even at freeway speeds. Good combo for the bike and Sirius has some great programing and it is getting better all the time. Don
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 12:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgem
Looks like there are some big sales on both Sirius and XM units.

See this: http://tinyurl.com/8b443

An XM for $19,95 and a Sirius for $29.95.

Everyone I know that has satellite radio has XM. But the Sirius has NPR, NFL and Stern. Talk about weird bedfellows. Does anyone have the Sirius service on a bike out there? Any opinions on whether the Xm is better than the Sirius or vice versa.

gbm
I have a Sirius radio on one bike and a MyFi portable XM radio that I move between my other bikes.

The major thing that got me to Sirius was that Radio Margaritaville was going on Sirius. And that has worked just fine, which is good because the gold on black display of the Sirius radio that looks so good in the stores is basically impossible to see when you are on the bike and riding in bright sunshine.

You might compare the program guides pretty closely and see what you think that you'll enjoy. If there's something on Sirius that you want then that's a legit reason to go with that carrier. In my opinion, XM seems to have better radios with more features appropriate for motorcycling but once again YMMV; the other Sirius radios look like they would be easy to change channels with because of the large tuning knobs.

All in all I'd say that either system is a win/win situation compared to traditional radio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:37 am

I have XM built into my car and a sirius radio on my bike. THere have been many a long car trip that I've thought about removing the XM radio in the car and replacing it with sirius. The music programming on sirius is much better IMO. And they have two channels of NPR!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2005, 9:29 pm
Enthusiast

I've got XM in two cars (one built-in and one Roady) and the Polk XM home unit. XM Roady2s are half-price right now and there's a $20 instant rebate. That makes it $29.99.
http://shop.xmradio.com/detail.aspx?pid=5&cat=8 .

Bill

'04 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue
'05 R1200GS Red
'07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 9:14 am

Talking Try it at Home

On Nov.15th, Direct TV is going to XM and you can listen to Sirius on Dish network now.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2005, 8:56 pm

I have XM on my KRS. All I can say is whether you choose XM or Sirius, you will never go back to FM. Commercial free and never having to search for a signal is the reason most folks go satelite radio. You can't go wrong.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2005, 9:00 pm

Xm

I have a Roady 2 that I keep in my company car and transfer to my tank bag with ER6 plugs. I have a Myfi that I use in my personal car, home and to carry around. I'm a baseball fanatic, so XM if for me.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2005, 10:40 pm
Noob

Sirius

I originaly selected Sirius based on reading about their technology. The way they use the satellites, XM had more spotty coverage and had to suplement it with terrestrial retransmitters.

This was a few years ago, when Sirus just started up and XM already operated a few months. These differences may not exist anymore - both services matured.

In any case, coverage of Sirius works well for me, in US and Canada (Ont. & QC).

Then, I like some of Sirius programs - in particular, I listen a lot to BBC News, not available on XM.

Currently, I have a wired-in receiver in my truck and another one which I move between a home cradle and an automotive cradle installed in my K'LT.

XM had about a year of headstart and managed to snag agreements with major automotive manufacturers - this is why you see many more XM receivers in use.

Seems like your choice may be based on programming.

Robert.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2005, 12:23 am
Enthusiast

Delphi XM Roady 2 for $14.99

If you use coupon 13675 the Roady 2 is $14.99 at Staples.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...&cmArea=SEARCH

Bill

'04 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue
'05 R1200GS Red
'07 KTM 950 Super Enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode