XM antenna problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:13 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Arrow XM antenna problem

I need a little help. I have the delphi and the mount , but the mount requires an antenna that I have. where it the best place to put this thing. I have placed it on the clutch reservoir mounting plate for the delphi, but many times the signal fades out. I would like to run using the internal antenna but the mount cancels out the use of the internal. I would like to glue it to the top of my helmet, but that would be too goofy. What are people doing other than using it in the pre recorded mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2006, 8:05 am
Statmaster

I know you probably won't like this answer, but you might want to run the antenna all the way back to the rear rack area. That way, it will have an unobstructed view no matter what direction you are riding. Also, you might look into the Terk XMirco antenna.

http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/produ...3&type=Antenna

But I would try running the antenna to the back of the bike first before popping $30 for another antenna.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2006, 8:38 am
Addict

I know about radio, but not much about these specific products. Most vehicle antennae require a metal area beneath them to work and to be as far away from the ignition and spark plugs as possible. The ideal place on a cage is in the centre of the roof, but we don't have that luxury.

If you have a top box and can mount the antenna on the lid, line the inside of the lid with cooking foil and that would be better. The rack area is good in that it gets the antenna away from the interfering sparks. But don't be tempted to increase the antenna lead length with any old wire, ask the manufacturer if they do an extension lead - the antenna cables may be special and cut a specific length for everything to work.

The best antenna solution is usually called 'active'. These have a small amplifier integrated in the mount, cable type and connection length are less critical, don't know if yours is active or not. I need stealth and security, so I have a GPS antenna mounted inside the lid of my top box (invisible), but I added a 6" square Ali sheet behind it to provide the 'ground plane', this size is a bit small for XM bands, but the whole area inside the lid of a 48 litre box lid should be fine for 2.3 Ghz. The ABS plastic is pretty transparent at these frequencies.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Mar 11th, 2006 at 8:44 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2006, 4:31 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Smile It worded! for the xm antennae

I ran a mini xm to the tail bag rack, velcroed it there, ran the lead under the seat of my 2002 K1200rs and attached it to the delphi and walla! good signal all the day through!!! Thanks a million. Just for a footnote, place an order or the K1200GT 2006 yesterday at Hermy's Cycles in Port Clinton PA and he felt confident that the first wav of press release bikes should be on hand in late april. I am so excited by this that I even told my wife of thirtyone years that I ordered it. Her reply was .... why, ??? whats wrong with the one you have.... and I replied, oh about 25 hp........ Happy trails from the Poconos of PA
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2006, 8:31 pm

I have my Sirius antennea sitting on top the cowl just behind the windshield. I just used some two sided tape to attach it and it works flawlessly. Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode