What is needed to put satellite radio on bike? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 8:15 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

What is needed to put satellite radio on bike?

I've got an interest in adding a satellite radio setup on my K1200GT and need to know what is necessary for it to work. I have a Sirius Sportster in my car which plays thru the radio. Is a radio necessary for this to work? Or is it possible to just plug in earphones? It would be nice to take my Sportster and just transfer it to the bike when I ride instead of having to buy another unit, but maybe this one won't work. Any help is appreciated.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 9:34 am

It will. Just need to power it up and plug in. Volume may not be what you expect. You could use a Boostaroo to increase volume.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 10:04 am
Statmaster

There are many ways to do this. Cheap to expensive.

Let's start with cheap. You can plug your earphones right into the Sporster's line out. Volume control is problematic, so you will want to set the Sportster's internal volume to the max value (it's in the menus someplace, since I have the same unit). Then you will need to go to Radio Shack and get an inline volume control (about $5). This will allow you to control volume without having to page through menus on the Sportster. If the max volume isn't loud enough, you will need to find something like a Boostaroo to help amplify the sound.

Next gets more expensive. You can go with an intercom system, like Autocom, Instaride, Baehr, or other system. Expect to spend upwards of $300 to get this working. Or, like me, you'll spend close to $500-600 to get everything hooked up -- radar detector, satellite radio, ipod, FRS radio, GPS, ...

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 5:47 pm

On my KR I used an Amplirider (sold by Electronic-avenues: about $70.00) and a boosteroo from radio shack-dry cell operated with 2 AA batteries (they call it a volumn enhancer I think: about $20.00). The amplirider may be enough by itself (I'm half deaf so I needed the extra kick from the boosteroo), it has a volumn control and such. You can look at it here:

http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplifiers.html

Gary also makes a pocket amplifier which runs on AA batteries. I opted for the amplirider with remote volumn control so I could wire it into the bike's 12 volt system and not have to worry about batteries running low.

Good luck.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 9:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
I've got an interest in adding a satellite radio setup on my K1200GT and need to know what is necessary for it to work. I have a Sirius Sportster in my car which plays thru the radio. Is a radio necessary for this to work? Or is it possible to just plug in earphones? It would be nice to take my Sportster and just transfer it to the bike when I ride instead of having to buy another unit, but maybe this one won't work. Any help is appreciated.

David
Some need Tuners, others dont.

My roady needs juice...AP1 Fuse block and MiXit amp...I listen to my XM ALL the time on the bike. Love it. If your going to add more goodies, then I suggest doing a search on..

MixIt
AP1 fuse block

Very easy install for both.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 8:34 am
Just saying hey

Roady XT

I bought a Roady XT and in reading the specs, saw that it runs on 5 volts, 2000 ma. Delphi offers a power supply for under $20.00 that produces the specified voltage from 12 vdc battery power (in my case from my AP-1). I also bought the bracket that attaches to the front brake reservoir and a plastic slide on mounting plate for the Roady to slide into. I will take the signal through my Autocom system.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 10:35 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodland142
I bought a Roady XT and in reading the specs, saw that it runs on 5 volts, 2000 ma. Delphi offers a power supply for under $20.00 that produces the specified voltage from 12 vdc battery power (in my case from my AP-1). I also bought the bracket that attaches to the front brake reservoir and a plastic slide on mounting plate for the Roady to slide into. I will take the signal through my Autocom system.
I just ordered a Roady XT yesterday. Can you provide a link to the Delphi power supply? I heard about one from cyclegadgets.com

Where did you get the bracket?

Are there any pics of the bracket mounted?

So many questions...

His and Hers K1200S'
His: <strike>'05 Indigo Blue</strike>
Hers: '06 Granite Gray
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2007, 9:44 am

Where to attach power wires?

I am going to buy the Direct Hard Wire cable for SkyFi & Roady XM Radios from CycleGadgets.com. Do I attach the hot wire to the front parking light and ground the other? Any help would be appreciated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode