Where do you mount the antenna? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2006, 7:44 am Thread Starter

Where do you mount the antenna?

I'm looking into XM for a K12RS, where are folks mounting the antenna? Do you just velcro it on top of the instrument cluster behind the windshield or do you snake the wires under the tank and seat and attach it to the rear somewhere?

thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2006, 8:29 am
Enthusiast

I haven't installed satellite yet but that's on my list. I plan to route the cable under the seat and attach the antenna to the rear rack. I know there are some mounts out there also but I can't remember who carries them. Help with that anybody?

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2006, 4:14 pm
Veteran

Where are you putting the XM radio? I just bought an XM 3 days ago and took it on a trip in the car. I put the antenna against the front windshield, centered on the dash. Coincidentally, this is where my car antenna is also.
The XM worked fine, but I was still changing channels to get different types of music. I plan on putting the receiver in a tank bag so I can change channels easily at stops. Since I plan to use the XM and tank bag on different bikes, I'll keep everything close to the bag so I can pick it up and move it easily. Velcro somewhere on the bike dash I think.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2006, 9:29 pm

I mounted mine with velcro to the top of the instrument cluster, behind the windshield.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2006, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

I was going to put mine in the tank bag also, possibly stuff the antenna into the map pocket on top. I have a Delphi MyFi I got last year, I think the battery is only good for like 5 hours so will definitely need to figure out a way to add power, even in the bag.

I just ordered a Marsee mini magnetic tank bag. I know they offer kit to electrify the bag. I need to keep looking, it will be a while before I'm on any 5+ hour rides this time of year.

Marty

Marty S.
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2006, 7:03 am
Veteran

marsee elec bag

I bought a Marsee electrified tank bag yesterday. It comes with one plug on the outside. The bag comes with a wire that goes from the outside plug to the BMW power outlet. Inside the bag is a wire with a Y-connecter. One side is a cigarette-type plug and the other side can connect to other gear. I forget what the name of the adapter is called. It looks like the connector of a non BMW type battery tender. I put the XM inside and connected it to the cigarette adapter and placed the XM antenna on the dash of the bike. It works fine. I will try the XM antenna in the map case of the bag. That would be better. The problem is that you need some way to adjust the volume of the XM. I have an Autocom that I will connect today and I think that will control the volume.
I need to sort out the wires for the passenger to hear music or autocom also. Since I want to use the bag and gear on different bikes, I don't want to make the connections permanent. I may have to just get extra cords to make it easy.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2007, 4:45 am

I bought the bigger antenna...and mounted it, on my '06 GT, in front of the windshield on the plastic. It made a hugh difference in reception. Very very few drop out. I rode it in a place that I could never get reception...and it worked perfect...trees and all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode