BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

You're not whiny little bitches...

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  jcolombo 
#1 ·
I just traded in my 05 R1200GS for an 06 K1200GT. I had to admit that I'm almost 50 and not being able to touch the ground at a stop was getting to be too much work. I, by the way, LOVE THIS BIKE. I've also noticed that the people on this site are not whiny little bitches like over at the R1200 forum at ADVrider. There are also far less posts which would indicate the people with GT's are out riding their bikes instead of whining about them! OK - I know I'll take some crap from people who own both bikes, but I'm just saying... Don't get me wrong - I liked my GS. They look better in the mirror than the Harley's do!

I want to get a translucent warning tag like you see on the car mirrors - you know "objects in mirror are much closer than they appear", but for the windshield that says "Objects in windshield are going much slower than they appear." Man, vehicles come up so fast I think they're going backwards.

Please don't take any of these insults personally - I just got back from a ride and I'm always wound up and full of it when I get off this GT.

Bob

#2 · (Edited)
Did the trade

Bob, welcome. I'm not sure that the R1200 people are bigger whiners or it's just a larger sample size. As a percentage, I think that it might be about the same based on the number of users I see on both sites.

As an aside, I think the biggest whiner I have seen in a long time was the guy who wrote to the BMWMOA to complain about the volume of the horn on the GT and was waiting to hear about BMW buying the bike back for the "obvious dangerous design".

That being said, I went from R12GS to the GT and although it was a bit of an adjustment, I'm very happy. The R12 is a great all around bike, but when you look yourself in the mirros and realize that you are not going to the Cape of Good Hope anytime good, a great street bike like the GT is a breath of fresh air. Street tires, street ergos, street motor... yes!

Now about those speeding tickets I'm afraid are in the future...

JC

#3 ·
Yea - I was really stunned by that letter. In the same issue as complaining about BMW dealers going under. I wonder why... I have yet to get a real horn on a bike from the factory. The asian bikes are much worse. My dog has a louder squeak toy. And didn't that guy try the horn before he bought the bike? I'd think if it was that important to him he would have. Not to mention it costs me all of $35.00 and an hour labor to switch over to Stebel air horns. My GS was fun around here, but the wind on the highway was too much and there's no comparing the power. So what did I do about it? Did I demand a new bike? Hell no - I went and laid down some cash and have never looked back!

#4 ·
I saw that letter too. I thought to myself "I sure am glad you aren't one of my customers."

Brian

#6 ·
JEFFMOHL said:
I just bought new GT also in S.W. Florida. Dealer there was the lucky one on the guy with the horn. Factory authorized them to install dual horn set from 05 RT which is considerably better. I own both bikes. I also think this buyer must be a little screwed up.
That is just proof that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. But the other half to that is that the well mannered and reasonable tire gets maintenance, rotation, factory spec air inflation and a nice coat of armor all.

Brian

#11 ·
I'm worried about size. Not much room at all under there, and knowing that the RT horns fit merits a look.

First thing I look to do is replace the horms on most bikes, as you noted these days a typical OEM horn is a cross between a wounded goat and a kid's toys.

I'd love a Stiebel air horn, but it's certainly not going to fit the factory location.

JC

#12 ·
jcolombo said:
I'm worried about size. Not much room at all under there, and knowing that the RT horns fit merits a look.

First thing I look to do is replace the horms on most bikes, as you noted these days a typical OEM horn is a cross between a wounded goat and a kid's toys.

I'd love a Stiebel air horn, but it's certainly not going to fit the factory location.

JC
No it won't. I could barely get my hand in there to unplug the factory horn. The left side however has ample room for the horn. I put mine there with the Baehr XL intercom and have tons of space left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.