Question from a dummy - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 7:32 am Thread Starter
Riding in company

Question from a dummy

I got my V1 in the mail yesterday. Needless to say, I went straight to the garage to see what the thing was going to look like on the bike. I stuck it to the screen using the suction cups and it seems tight as a tick. Has anyone tried just running the cups? I hate to send money to that Pirate for a proper mount.

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 8:01 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA
I got my V1 in the mail yesterday. Needless to say, I went straight to the garage to see what the thing was going to look like on the bike. I stuck it to the screen using the suction cups and it seems tight as a tick. Has anyone tried just running the cups? I hate to send money to that Pirate for a proper mount.
Bill
This from a radar detector dummy. Doesn't the front of the detector have to face front, for best range?
I velcroed mine to the top of my tankbag, covered it with the mapcase.
Bruce C
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 9:31 am Thread Starter
Riding in company

Welcome to the Battle of the Dummies. Bruce, the suction cup mount is usually stuck to the windshield of a cage; it does point forward. I don't know why it would be any different on a bike.

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 9:51 am

Bill,
Buy the mount. You will be glad you did. I don't like to trust a couple of suction cups with my $500 detector. It may also give the unit a little better view to the rear. One ticket (that it saves you from) will pay for everything. Mine has paid for itself many times over. Also, IMHO, earphones give you a definite advantage using the detctor. Cheers.

Jeff
K12RS Taxi
K1
R1150GS
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:57 am

Wink After you buy your second V1

Don't learn the hard way.....Buy the Avant Guard Mount and have a piece of mind.
2004 - 1998 RS
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:57 am

Agreed - Buy the mount

I have had the suction cups come undone in my cage several times over a rough road - not a real issue inside a car, but detector is gone on the MC. There are several excellent mounts available and you will be glad you did.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:03 am

buy a mount or fabricate one

Yeah, I can imagine the detector becoming a $300 hockey puck. I used a piece of 1/2" aluminum angle iron. Cut the piece the correct width, bent it a little, and added a couple extra screw holes. I attached mount straight to the wondshield mounting arms. The design came from the pictures I saw from other mounts. There is industrial strength velcro you can pick up at Radio Shack. Then I quick tie down. Works great, all together I spent about 1-2 hours and ~$20 in supplies.

If don't have the time, then buy the mount from pirate.

ONON-
Mark
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:01 pm Thread Starter
Riding in company

DIY is right up my alley, Mark. One of the ones I liked best was the old Avant Guard made from clear plexi or polycarbonate. Are the windscreen mounting pins long enough to take the thickness of the mount or must you get longer ones?

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:10 pm

mounting screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA
DIY is right up my alley, Mark. One of the ones I liked best was the old Avant Guard made from clear plexi or polycarbonate. Are the windscreen mounting pins long enough to take the thickness of the mount or must you get longer ones?
I ended up getting some longer ones... don't forget they are metric. I'll try and remember to post a picture sometime.

ONON-
Mark
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2006, 1:14 pm

I have had the Avant Guard mount - while they work great - they only work well if the majority of roads you ride are smooth. I live in NYC where the roads are horrible -the problem with this mount is it "bounces" the detector into the windshield over bumpy roads. It drove me crazy so I got rid of it. Again, on smooth roads, I do not think there is a better solution.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode