Left or right side mounting? Where are the Police? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:10 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Question Left or right side mounting? Where are the Police?

I am wondering about mounting my V1. I want to mount it as 'outboard' the bike as possible to allow pick up any radar behind me. That got me thinking, on Interstate Highways the most likely location of the Patrol car is the median, correct? However, driving along a undivided highway the Patrol car is most likely along the right shoulder, etc. correct?
What got me started on this was reading the V1 site about motorcycle use of the V1 itself and they mentioned mounting it as far away from your body as possible to reduce the 'blind' spot created by your body. The blind spot started my anal analysis process.
Anyone have any ideas on the best arrangement or does it really matter?

Thanks
Robert

2014 R1200RT Ebony Black--(deep Burgundy)
2012 R1200RT Tri-Color (traded for 2014 R1200RT see above)
2012 R1200RT Tri-Color (Traded for exact same bike, see above)
2004 R1100SA "Piedmont Red Metallic" (Traded)
2002 K1200RS BLACK (Traded for RT)
2000 FLTRSEI "Screamin Eagle, Triple Red" Gone but not forgotten.
1999 FXR3 "Green Flame" In the Garage
1998 K1200RS "Taxi" (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2006, 8:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhead
I am wondering about mounting my V1. I want to mount it as 'outboard' the bike as possible to allow pick up any radar behind me. That got me thinking, on Interstate Highways the most likely location of the Patrol car is the median, correct? However, driving along a undivided highway the Patrol car is most likely along the right shoulder, etc. correct?
What got me started on this was reading the V1 site about motorcycle use of the V1 itself and they mentioned mounting it as far away from your body as possible to reduce the 'blind' spot created by your body. The blind spot started my anal analysis process.
Anyone have any ideas on the best arrangement or does it really matter?
Went through the same compulsive thinking and decided to put it as far forward and to the right as possible while still keeping it behind the screen but not hitting the screen. [Used a Saeng mount that attaches to the fork tube just below the triple clamp.] I'm satisfied with it -- please don't tell me how I'm wrong, cause I might get all compulsive again
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2006, 8:31 am
GPM

I don't think it makes much difference. You pick up radar warnings from a great distance. That should give you an idea of the spread of the beam. I know a few people who have their V1s in a tank bag and they pick up the warnings at virtually the same time as I do, with mine mounted front and center. Also, radar will pass through your body, so rear detection is not position dependent.

Laser is another story. Line of site is required and the beam is very narrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2006, 2:22 pm Thread Starter
Addict

What is the Saegn mount?

Thanks
Robert

2014 R1200RT Ebony Black--(deep Burgundy)
2012 R1200RT Tri-Color (traded for 2014 R1200RT see above)
2012 R1200RT Tri-Color (Traded for exact same bike, see above)
2004 R1100SA "Piedmont Red Metallic" (Traded)
2002 K1200RS BLACK (Traded for RT)
2000 FLTRSEI "Screamin Eagle, Triple Red" Gone but not forgotten.
1999 FXR3 "Green Flame" In the Garage
1998 K1200RS "Taxi" (sold)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2006, 11:44 am
Noob

http://www.saeng.com/default.htm

I use a saeng also Garmin on one platform and the V1 on the other end of the dual platform "rig".
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2006, 12:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhead
What is the Saegn mount?
The Saeng home page is here: http://www.saeng.com/ And the mount I use is here: Oops, no it's not. They don't make the one I have any more. Now my RS is obsolete cause of the new S, my radar mount is obsolete and people tell me I'm nearly obsolete. But the bike still works good, the mount does its job good and I can still ride

Whatever - Saeng has one they recommend for the K12RS: http://www.saeng.com/2595.htm Costs more than mine did but looks like it would be fine and would put the V1 in the same place - can't testify to that.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2006, 8:30 am
Addict

Mine's in a plastic box, just below the oil cooler. It alarms approaching a radar source, even with other cages in front, so it's getting scatter off hard objects. It also alarms when receding from radar sources so still gets signals in from behind. It's a pain to keep on for city riding, too many radar sources about.

Now laser, if you really think you can outsmart them, are extremely directional.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode