bike to bike com + power question help - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 10:47 am Thread Starter
Rookie

bike to bike com + power question help

The Kenwood is limited in power to one watt maximum.[/QUOTE]

What would be an option for a stronger radio if installation is on the handlebars? I am thinking on buying two for my wife and me. But like to talk to others also. Distance is important and power, do I need to get a license to operate and there is a test or just an application and fee? What do you need to do to set this up? In the past I remember having to take a big test to get a license to operate a radio. Is it the same now? I went to the government site and could not figure it out

2008 K1200GT Adventurine Silver
2007 K1200LT (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 2:47 pm
Veteran

My kenwood 3101 has 2 watts. I'm not sure if that means all that much because I am not sure that is accurate in relation to real wattage. I think it's like hp on bikes. What hp "really" gets to the real wheel? Also, check the below site. there is a link there that leads you to the license forms.

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/Produ...ay-Radios.aspx

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 6:13 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

I checked the ICON site, lots of radios on FM, VHS and UHF.

IC-F11 / F21Series

General
Frequency coverage

(Rx and Tx)*
IC-F11/F11S 146-174 MHz

IC-F21/F21S 400-430 MHz 440-470 MHz

Number of channels Total 16 (rotary type)
Total 4 (toggle type)
Channel spacing 12.5 KHz, 25 kHz
PLL channel step 2.5 kHz, 3.125 kHz (VHF)
5KHz, 6.25KHz (UHF)
Output power 5 W, 2W or 1W (VHF)
4 W, 2W or 1W (UHF)
This is one of them. good for two radios in one frequency but is there one that is more common for other bikers? wich one is the best for the motorcycles. You can see that I do not know much about this and know that I like to have distance and power and I am not interested on CB's lack of connectivity. Thanks for your help and patience to this confused nuvi

I found this two units,

The IC-F33G

Wide frequency range and large channel capacity
The IC-F33G series covers a wide frequency range in one version (VHF 136-174MHz, UHF 400-470MHz or 450-512 (520) MHz). The 256 memory channel capacity with 16 memory banks allows you to divide and store a variety of flexible channel groupings. Easy memory channel selection with a simple rotation of the rotary channel knob.

IC-F21GM (GMRS General Mobile Radio Service )

General
Frequency coverage 462.550–467.725MHz
Number of channels 15

looking at the frequencys, do this talk to each other?? even when one is VHS / UHF and GMRS General Mobile Radio Service – simple license required Including 7 channels shared with FRS Family Radio Service channels

IC-F4061S-16
Basic LTR®/Conventional mixed mode operation, The IC-F4061, UHF 5W 450-512 MHz, Analog LTR 6.25 Digital series provides LTR®/conventional mixed mode operation. Group, selective (DTMF), and phone call are available in LTR® mode

2008 K1200GT Adventurine Silver
2007 K1200LT (gone)

Last edited by Spinedr; Apr 13th, 2008 at 6:29 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2008, 6:27 pm
Veteran

If I were buying a bike radio and had no clue (yes, that is me) I would go to the autocom website and see this:

http://www.autocomamerica.com/search.cfm once on this site, choose the autocom preferred dropdown and then scroll down to the radios.

and I would probably go with what I could afford that is recommended by a company that knows what they are talking about.
My kenwood works great. I didn't buy it from autocom, but I got info there that made me confident that I bought what I needed.

If you keep looking/asking, soon enough someone will recommend 2 cans and a string because it worked for them in the rain, at night, in the snow, uphill, both ways.
seriously, check autocom and then buy what you can afford and what works for you.
Go to this link to see a freq chart.
http://www.autocomamerica.com/files/...g%20Chart1.pdf

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2008, 4:23 am
Noob

Ditto on Autocom and Kenwood. You can buy the Kenwoods for a lot less than listed on the Autocom site however. If you are using any FRS radio with one watt, no license is needed. If you want more than one watt you need a GMRS license. No test, $85.00 just fill out the form on the FCC web site. My bet is the 90% of the non-business GMRS users never bother with the license anyway. It would be very difficult to enforce. I had a Kenwood 3101 Free talk and just used the rubber antenna that came with it, range was very limited. I have upgraded to a Kenwood 4 watt and installed an external non ground plane antenna on the side of my top box. Not sure what total range is now but I have talked loud and clear at over two miles with others. The GMRS and FRS frequencies are great very quite no noise like the CB bands the communications are crystal clear and it all works great with voice activited transmission (VOX) via the Autocom. Call Autocom, tell them what you want to do they will fix you up, great folks to talk with and very knowledgeable. Be prepared to reach deep in your pocket however the stuff ain't cheap.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2008, 5:08 am
Veteran

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode