Another Nolan Blue Tooth....... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2009, 3:56 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Another Nolan Blue Tooth.......

Sooo we finally had a chance to ride with the new Nolan 103 with the Nolan BT. I'm not sure we are syncing them right. They were in and out garbley and would loose sync after a while. Also it seemed that the mikes were activated all the time. What if anything am I doing wrong. Maybe these are a piece of s<>t. The instruction that come with them are useless. Thanks

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2009, 8:54 pm
Veteran

I've got a pair of the N-103's. Here's my crib sheet.

First mistake was I did not have their n-Com II setup. Dealer sold me the n-Com I. Sound was intolerable (mono). You can tell by looking at the underside of the n-Com. The bad ones had 10-14 pads. Some had a little stick-on plate that made 14 pads. The n-Com II had 15 pads for connections. Different firmware versions too (not user updateable). Dealer's attitude was "Too bad. No exchanges."

Lesson is that you need the Basic Kit II AND their n-Com II set. Dealer's are peddling the old n-Com I stuff as though it "Will work" - just not as it should. They look the same, other than the Nolan n-Com II box is all blue and not blue and white on the top (aside from the 15 pads underneath).

Then, when you charge the helmets up using their charger, does the light on the charger ever turn from red to green? One of mine always said it was charged even though it wasn't. It would shut off a connection down the freeway and I'd have to pull over and reconnect the pairing, only to have it fail 5 minutes later and another stop to re-pair them back up. After a while, it was just dead and nothing. Not cool.

Turns out it was a defective battery. The black wire from the helmet wasn't soldered well to the pack and it would break connections charging or on the road. Tom at CIMA, the US distributor, sent me another battery free. That seemed to stop the disconnects and re-pair and coding issues.

Sound wise, the n-Com II is stereo (unlike some other brands), but it sounded better to me using their Mutli-Media wire. Tom said it would and he was right. Then I was back to wired (ugh!) from the Autocom unit which served me well in the past.

You may find a Jabra A120s stereo dongle works best with them. I had a WiRevo D1000 but never could get it to work with the Nolans. Bluetooth is a very finicky system and doesn't always pair up well when other brands get involved.

Intercom: I found that the helmet's noise levels might be the problem with their VOX. Sometimes the mike's placement is just wrong and wind noise keeping them active in VOX mode. The Autocom's mike is flat and may be less susceptible to wind noise, imho, and maybe that's why their VOX operates better. Dunno.

Since, I've gone back using the Autocom, Shoei Multi-tec, and the Ultimate Ear's UE-11's plugged into the Autocom's headphone jack and all is well. Bluetooth was just a PITA to use on the bike (I carried 3 chargers: 2 for helmets and one for the Jabra dongle and even a Multi-Media X wire which defeated the whole purpose. Now I just carry the Autocom stuff and less of the other as well as less Advil for dealing with the BT issues (i.e. drop-outs, re-pairing, incessant charging). BT has a ways to go, imo, before it's bike ready.

Good luck!

Mack
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2009, 8:48 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks Mack, I think I have the mono setup.Not happy at all with them. J&M has a nice BT kit, http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....DRI-N103&PF=30, for the 103 but @ $450.00 / helmet it's pricey and if they don't work well your out another $900. I dunno, just discouraged.

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2009, 9:36 pm
Veteran

This was discussed in another forum.

The J&M setup uses J&M's own Bluetooth protocols that may not work with some devices that you might want to use with Bluetooth. Notice too, they offer no refund on their Bluetooth stuff either. You own it - working or not for your situation.

Bluetooth is very finicky between brands. Just because it says AD2P (stereo) doesn't mean squat. If you stay with all the stuff from one manufacturer, it might work. I have some Sony stuff that is BT AD2P stereo, but it won't work with other Bluetooth stuff I have nor with the Nolan at all. Go figger.

Some of the Cardo guys think their stuff is good, but some are complaining it's mono only and some still may not realize it is. Might be true of their older stiff just like the n-Com I stuff I've bought (mono).

Good luck on your quest. It can get very expensive. I probably have dumped $2000 in the Nolan stuff. My dealer would not take back the n-Com I stuff so it was over $500 shot, as well as all the damn dongles that I bought trying to make it all work elsewhere.

Now I'm back to hard-wire off the Autocom Pro AVI with a Shoei Mutli-Tec and some UE-11 in-ear phones and a soon to arrive Ray Samuel's P-51 Mustang amp. Probably the best sound you can get on a bike and save your hearing too.

It just never stops...

Mack
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2009, 7:18 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

GMack, my problem is that I need to communicate with the wife on her bike and stay pretty much wireless. I know, pretty tall order. By the way do you have a audio wire that goes from a Zummo 550 to the Nolan you would sell. I need one because Zummo doesn't BT XM. Thanks for the info.
By your post it looked like you also bought the Basic kit II & the Com II. Would you be interested in selling them as I too only have the Com I. Thanks.

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2009, 9:37 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie
GMack, my problem is that I need to communicate with the wife on her bike and stay pretty much wireless. I know, pretty tall order. By the way do you have a audio wire that goes from a Zummo 550 to the Nolan you would sell. I need one because Zummo doesn't BT XM. Thanks for the info.
By your post it looked like you also bought the Basic kit II & the Com II. Would you be interested in selling them as I too only have the Com I. Thanks.
Not that tall of an order, but...

The Bluetooth of the Nolan is not intended for bike-to-bike. Range is quite limited and line of sight. Pairing back up can be an issue for you or her while riding since you cannot communicate with one another once the connection is lost. They claim 30 feet, but I get only 15 feet or so before it begins to break up or drop off. There may be a way to take the 4-pole jack off the Nolan that goes to the passenger's helmet (I'm guessing: left right speaker, common ground, and mike) and come up with a cable to plug into a FRS radio of some sort and do some sort of VOX between the bikes? I've operated like that in the past, but once one person got lost, the search began, and we all got lost on the channels and ended up in Oregon - still lost until the motel gathering.

I've used a plain generic Radio Shack mini-stereo cord from the Zumo's output audio jack to the Nolan when I was playing around with the n-Com. "Extreme Supply" in Signal Hill, CA has a full list of all the cables and descriptions that you may need for the Nolans. I've bought a lot of helmet stuff off them.

The n-Com I that I first had was mono only and sounded really bad off the Zumo, even though I had their correct Basic Kit II speakers via BT. The Radio Shack cord sounded wonderful and it was in full stereo even though the n-Com was older version I. I got my Zumo's XM radio through that cable as well. The Jabra A120s dongle will also do stereo to the n-Com II unit plugged into the Zumo's output jack (No bike-to-bike though). No luck with the WiRevo D1000 at all nor a Sony dongle either. I just Velcro'ed the Jabra to the back of the Zumo cradle and it ran a long time, much longer than the Nolan BT n-Com. Problem is you need to charge it through a mini-USB port for hours.

If you are looking to go bike-to-bike, I would run something like a Kenwood GMRS radio through an Autocom as first my choice. The normal FRS (?) radios work out to maybe a 1/3 mile and if cars move in and out between you, they get much worse and you get a lot of "Huh?" Been through that mess already. The GMRS radio supposedly has a 5 mile range and doesn't need a squelch like CB which really gets staticy during daylight hours. However, a CB and a trucker can give you miles of leo patrol avoidance (unless the trucker is a lying leo and just baiting you! Watch out for CA CHP cars with 5 foot whip antennas!).

Autocom UK has recently updated their site and has a lot of cheaper units for bike-to-bike along with suggested radios that are known to work and cables to match. Prices have come down a lot since competition has set in. BT on the bike driver-to-pillion is fine, but if she is a car length behind you on a bike, then "Good luck." Sounds like you are approaching it (BT) for more than it will deliver. It can be an absolute pain at times dealing with it and the associated battery issues.

I've got both the Nolan n-Coms I (mono) and II (stereo). Don't know if I want to sell them just yet. It's a pretty cool lid with the internal tinted screen and easy strap latch, just noisy. Its heaviness doesn't seem to bother me, but the noise does over the Shoei Multi-tec. Heck, I still got GT body panels and mufflers off some of my knock-overs/wrecks/whatevers that I'm stashing for whatever reason. Okay, maybe "9" GPS units too along with a bunch of radar detectors my brother often steals (he's allowed to because he gets the all the speeding tickets since I'm fully covered at all times).

Okay. I got old riding clothing that's too small. Like I'll ever fit in that again either.

<packratitis>

Mack
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2009, 7:33 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks Mack. You're a pack rat like me. I'll let you know what I do.

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2009, 7:47 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mack, I found out that I do Have the Com II and BT II. I also discovered that I was not paring them right. I'll have to play with them some more when I have time. I also talked to J&M and they said that you can't pair two of their helmet kits, go figure.

I priced the stuff from Autocom for both bikes with Kenwood radios and it was around $1400. and is a wired system.

I'll let you know what happens.

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode