J&M CB - Need Help - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 1:42 pm Thread Starter

J&M CB - Need Help

I tried posting this on K1200GT classic, but had no luck. I am a newbie and am installing a handlebar mounted CB. The instructions say not to connect to the battery, of course. It would be convenient to connect to a 4 prong under the left side of the seat. Any idea which wire is power? Blue/white, Blue/black, Red/white, There is also Brown (ground I think?) Any better / other convenient place to get power? BTW - what is that 4 prong for in the first place? Thanks!!

UTurn 2004 K1200GT - Best bike I ever owned!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

Found out

Wound up connecting to tail light power....works great
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 9:35 pm
Noob

Followup J&M CB Installation Question

I just bought an 09 GT and have a J&M CB (BMW version) on order. Does the stock J&M antenna license plate bracket "clear" the panniers or did you have to modify the bracket? Also, do you have an top case and is there any interference. Thanks for your comments as they will help me over the weekend during my installation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:09 pm Thread Starter

J&M

I used the J&M license plate bracket that came with the antenna and it clears all of my side cases (standard, city, and large). However, I have a GIVI 45 top case and it will rub. I will fabricate an extension for the bracket that will give me a few inches of clearance on the right side. I have one concern and that is the antenna will be about 10" from my passenger. I'm worried about reception. I'll post the results on Monday.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2009, 8:38 pm
Noob

"The instructions say not to connect to the battery"
Uh, OK... This is what my instructions say,
"Connect the power wire (red) directly to the positive (+) post of the battery. Connect the orange wire to a switchable power source or accessory terminal so that the unit is automatically turned off when the ignition is turned off. Connect the black wire to a frame ground (not to the battery negative). If it becomes necessary to replace the fuse, use a 5 amp fuse for the red wire."
I connected the red wire to a non-switched fuse in my aux fuse box. I connected the orange wire to a switched fuse in my aux fuse box. The switched fuses are triggered off the GPS wire near the battery.

"Does the stock J&M antenna license plate bracket "clear" the panniers or did you have to modify the bracket?"
I do not think that bracket will clear a topcase arrangement. You can see above what I did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode