Autocom PTT question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2006, 1:56 pm Thread Starter
ten

Autocom PTT question

Does anyone has pictures/description of how they attached an Autocom Push to Talk button on a K12RS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Ptt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten
Does anyone has pictures/description of how they attached an Autocom Push to Talk button on a K12RS?
I have one on an 04 RT and it's the same as the GT...assuming that you really mean the button only. Otherwise, if you are talking about cable routing, it would depend where you put the Autocom...or whatever you are using Sorry no pictures but it's a "no brainer".

Mount the PTT to the underside of your LEFT hand grip as inboard (toward the center of the bike) as possilbe. There will still be plenty of room for your gloved hand. The unit must have the red PTT talk button facing you, below the grip. Wrap the zip ties around the grip and across the flat sides of the PTT switch. I put the most inward zip tie on first then the second...but on the second one, I overlapped the first one on the top(the second actually on the inside of the first) Clear as mud...anyway, this provided a little less interference of the zip ties to my hand...just less of a bother but that part is really just a personal preference thing.

If you really don't get this, send me a PM with your email and I'll fire off a picture.

But, you're smart enough...aren't you
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2006, 9:46 pm
Enthusiast

I've got the PTT switch on my KRS. I mount it as Loggiebone describes but do not overlap the tie wraps. I give a gentle tug on each tie wrap with a pair of pliers to snug them enough so that the PTT switch assembly does not rotate around the grip when I push the button.

Bill

'04 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue
'05 R1200GS Red
'07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 10:13 am
Addict

Autocom PTT question

Just picked up a couple Kenwood FreeTalk radios and a PTT switch for my Autocom system on tmy GT. Have read the instructions and the previous posts here on how to install the PTT button. My question to the forum is has anyone installed the PTT Button without using the cable ties. It really seems like an unfinished way to mount the PTT button - I would have thought that Autocom would have come up with a better way to mount the switch. any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hanshi
2007 BMW K1200LT (black)
2004 BMW K1200GT (grey-green, sold)
Reading, Pa, USA
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 1:28 pm
Addict-oholic

The cable ties are black and really do not stand out on the grip!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 1:47 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten
I know this is not an answer to your question, but I just bought a new Autocom and there is no PTT. You just talk and the sound of your voice opens the channel. Clear as a bell. If you are in the market for a new one, maybe that is the answer.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 6:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikanbe1
I know this is not an answer to your question, but I just bought a new Autocom and there is no PTT. You just talk and the sound of your voice opens the channel. Clear as a bell. If you are in the market for a new one, maybe that is the answer.
There is still the option of a PTT.

The option would allow you to have a conversation with a pillion and not have it broadcast. Otherwise, when you talk to you Pillion or get a cell call, your autocom broadcasts your phone conversation over the radio. This can be a bit of a pain as you now have two people talking back to you (caller talking and buddy on another bike asking you to repeat, then having to tell the buddy hold on, I have a cell call, then the caller shuts up as he/she gets confused cause they don't understand what the hell is going on etc...). So it is an option, just not one that you seem to have opted for (neither did I).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 6:01 pm

The Autocom PTT has a switch with 3 positions below the PTT button. The center position is when you wish to use PTT for broadcasting over a radio. In this position the rider and driver can still communicate in VOX mode, but the rider is not broadcast.
Pushing the switch in one direction places the system in VOX mode. You broadcast simply by speaking. Pushing the switch in the other direction keeps the transmission line open continuously. You will not be able to hear other radios as you are broadcasting constantly. My understanding is that this is often used by racers.

Maybe that helps.

David

DaMu
Houston, TX
04 K1200GT Grey Green

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode