Has anyone used a Chatterbox before? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

Has anyone used a Chatterbox before?

I'm looking for input from those that have actually tried the CHatterbox X1 or X2. I am curious as to your opinion on the VOX and noise cancellation capabilities of the unit.
I have spoken with one guy who owns one and he said it works great. (Quote "Was in a business phone conversation and they didn't even know I was on the cell phone, let alone on the bike at 60 mph.") The price is much better that Autocom and it comes with the transceiver built in. If the noise cancellation is decent (maybe not as good as the Autocom) but decent. I'd rather save the money there.

Would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

Jeff

Blk 02' RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 3:31 pm

I have a chaterbox, works fine I use it for music (ipod) and to talk with passenger didnT have the opportunity to use it bike to bike.

I did not use the cell on it but can tell you that if you are having a business discussion it will show you are on a bike.

Only problem I had was a dead in the box unit but the company replaced it pronto!.

Eric
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 6:56 pm

Thumbs up

I have two older Chatterbox units sitting in my closet. I bought them for my wife and I to use for bike-to-bike, but they never really worked as well as I thought they should. Since then, I have become a firm believer in Autocom. A little pricey, but durable, dependable, and darn flexible. Whether I want music (ipod, mp3, etc.) intercom, or outside communication (bike-to-bike, cell, etc), the folks at Topgear have been able to configure whatever system I required. I have an Autocom system on both of my bikes - one is a tourer with AM/FM/CD, intercom, and CB, and my daily rider has an mp3 and cell phone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2006, 9:29 am Thread Starter

Smile Thanks for the replys guys....

bwbcpa,
I agree that the autocom is a superior device. But I'm trying to establish if the Chatterbox will suffice for me.
What type of problems did you have? Using cell or music? Can the squelch be adjusted to work adequately? I'm mostly concerned with noise cancellation during passenger conversation and bike to bike.

Another thought......would you be interested in selling the units in the closet?

Thanks,

Jeff
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:05 pm

Smile

I don't remember the model # of the units I have - but they are OLD units. We have used them when we ride our 4-wheelers and they did work better under those conditions - probably because, when we 4-wheel, we aren't dealing with all the road, wind noise, and higher speeds that you do on a bike. Also we ride closer when 4-wheeling, so we can set the squelch all the way up and leave it there. If nothing else, I will probably keep them for that reason. We basically used them as walkie-talkies.

Most of our problem was getting the squelch adjusted when on the bikes. Usually we don't ride any more then a few hundred feet apart, but as that distance would vary, we either seemed to be too close and the communication would break up, or too far apart for clarity. It was difficult for us to adjust the units "on the fly" to compensate. Also, with the VOX you would miss part, if not all, of the first word. When using the units, we make some type of sound (click, cough, etc.) to open the VOX b/4 we tried to communicate. Wind noise was also a problem. If we rode much over 65mph, the quality of the sound went downhill. That probably could be resolved by wearing a quality helmet and closing the vents and visors. I didn't use cell or music with my systems, nor did we use the intercom function. When group riding, I was "odd man out" with bike-to-bike if I was the only one that had a Chatterbox.

In their defense, I never had a mechanical problem with Chatterbox. They seem to be well constructed and very durable. I also liked not having to tether yourself to the bike, which is something you learn to deal with when you run Autocom. Price difference is definitely a consideration. A basic Autocom with cell and headsets will run $300+.

Last edited by bwbcpa; Mar 8th, 2006 at 10:17 pm. Reason: thunderstorm - keep losing connection
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2006, 6:55 am Thread Starter

Great feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to put some thought into it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode