2006 Autocom speakers/mic in Schuberth C2 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2006, 5:49 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

2006 Autocom speakers/mic in Schuberth C2

After many (10?) years using my trusty Shoei X-9 helmet, I finally bought another, the Schuberth C2. My ears would be in better shape today if I'd been using the Schuberth all along. Great fit and excellent wind noise control are obvious after only one days use. My difficulty lies with deciding how to mount the speakers and microphone from the new 2006 Autocom Kit 300 (Super Pro AVI). The Shoei was pretty easily done 10 years ago by removing the chin styrofoam and carving recesses for the J & M speakers and microphone. I'm afraid to get as aggressive with the Schuberth, and wonder if anyone has experience with installing the kit in either the C1 or C2? I'd prefer to mount the speakers under the lining, but if that isn't possible, suggestions for the most durable method would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2006, 6:22 pm
Statmaster

You can contact Jonathan at BMW of North Dallas. He's been doing Schuberth Concept and C2 headset installs for quite a while. He's kinda expensive, but from what I've been told by all the LT guys having their Autocom speakers (and others) installed, they are very happy with his work. He can be reached on Tue-Sat at 972-881-0774

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2006, 7:01 pm
Rookie

I have mounted Autocom speakers in Schuberth Concept helmet. Used a large "C" clamp pair of vicegrips, put a 1" thick catalog on the outside of the helmet, a heavy soup spoon over the lining inside the helmet, and by clamping the vicegrips progressively tighter was able to compress the styrofoam to form a depression to accept the speakers. Got a comfortable fit and I have a big head and large ears! I just thought this would be less invasive than carving out the styrofoam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2006, 7:44 pm
Statmaster

If you're willing to take this on yourself, I forgot, Autocom has the C2 fitment guide at:

http://www.autocom.co.uk/pdf/Schuberth_C2_Fitting.pdf

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2006, 8:53 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Thanks for your suggestions, and the Autocom tech site address. I was going to call both Schuberth and Autocom tomorrow, but maybe won't have to.

Steve
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2006, 4:46 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Update on Autocom Super Pro AVi for Schuberth C2

With not too many calls to Autocom for tech info, I managed to install the speakers and microphone in the the helmet. The iPod worked perfectly from the start, but the Garmin 2720 wouldn't output voice to the helmet. Apparently there is some sort of conflict between the Autocom and the 2720 when they are both powered from the bike's battery. The Garmin would be perfectly clear and audible when powered from a separate battery and outputting through the Autocom. The solution was to use part #1282 from Autocom. It's an isolator that accepts two inputs of the 3.5mm stereo variety. The Garmin is perfectly clear now.

I have to mention the BGNS (background noise sensor) and how well it works. My old intercom, in the Shoei X-9, (that tells you how old!) was from J&M and worked pretty well for all this time, but can't compare with the Pro AVi. I have the BGNS just sticking out below the helmet in the very back, and as speed increases, so does the volume from the speakers. Very nice, and the GPS does the same as the music fades 50% while the GPS gives its instructions. I will experiment with the placement though, because if I turn my head the wind noise is increased at the BGNS and the volume rises considerably. Maybe if I place it to the side of the helmet, the noise level for it would be more constant and give me a more consistent output level even with some head swiveling.

A big thumbs up to the Schuberth helmet too! I was wearing earplugs with the Shoei most of the time, and now without them the C2 is quieter! Very comfortable, and neutral with no head buffeting in the clean air off the K1200S windscreen.

Steve
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2006, 6:07 am
ten
Rookie

autocom in C2

I started to install the autocom in a new C2. I removed the 2 screws that supposedly hold in the cheek pads but I'm not able to separate the pads from the helmet to get access to the liner. I've looked over the autocom fitment instructions but I've found no other suggestions. I had no problem installing the autocom in my old C1. Does anyone have suggestion on how to loosen the cheek pads?

'04 K1200RS - Delaware

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode