Helmet speakers? Who has em? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:25 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Helmet speakers? Who has em?

Hi guys any of you have some advice for a newbie! I'm looking for some decent helmet speakers to fit my shoei rf-1000. I've found lots of units but I would like some feedback, since I know nothing about these items. thanks for any advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:39 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

Thumbs up helmet speakers

I tried several helmet speakers, the problem being they just are not sealed to the ear like earphones so the volume has to be to high to hear them. Most if not all helmets are to loud unless your behind a barn door windshield. I use ER6 earplug speakers by etymotic research that can be had for around 97 bucks shipped on ebay and other places. They sound great, block out a lot of windnoise but aren't dangerously quiet. I give the 5 thumbs up. Now if their was a wireless solution I would really be happy.

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2005, 8:44 pm
dec

Chatterbox

I use the Chatterbox FRSX2 setup. I don't have any experience with others to compare to, but have been happy with the performance so far. Bike to bike or with pillon rider its worked well! The speakers are good and the ability to pip in tunes (and even my cell if I want) are a BIG plus, but I beleive all the major companies have the audio in capability.

I did hear that Chatterbox was coming out with a Blue Tooth version this fall, but that was earlier this spring when I read it on a board somewhere. If thats the case, you get rid of the wires and open up possibilities for GPSs, Cell phones and with adapters radar detectors. Blue tooth is gonna hit the US bigtime in the next 18 months. If you don't already have a BT compatible gadget, you will!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2005, 8:52 pm
dec

Bt

Didn't find the Chatterbox message, but did notice this about BT for the helmet.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/s...e_helmets.html
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2005, 9:02 pm
just saying hey

Helmet speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesK1200
Hi guys any of you have some advice for a newbie! I'm looking for some decent helmet speakers to fit my shoei rf-1000. I've found lots of units but I would like some feedback, since I know nothing about these items. thanks for any advice!!
Look in Whitehorse Press catalog. They just came out with flat helmet speakers.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2005, 11:26 pm
No bogey's twist wrist

Talking helmet speakers

Ok I ordered the flat speakers form whitehorse will post the results when they come. always looking for easier ways to listen to music while riding to and fro.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2005, 11:34 am
No bogey's twist wrist

Talking results

Have been wearing the flat speakers from whitehorse, they work great. Fit in my Arai Quantum with no problem and not noticable if I am not using them. If you like speakers as apposed to the in the ear type try them you will be pleased. I still use the ER6's as they sound the best with higher speeds, but for less than 60 or so the helmet speakers are keepers.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 12:48 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec
I use the Chatterbox FRSX2 setup. I don't have any experience with others to compare to, but have been happy with the performance so far. Bike to bike or with pillon rider its worked well! The speakers are good and the ability to pip in tunes (and even my cell if I want) are a BIG plus, but I beleive all the major companies have the audio in capability.

I did hear that Chatterbox was coming out with a Blue Tooth version this fall, but that was earlier this spring when I read it on a board somewhere. If thats the case, you get rid of the wires and open up possibilities for GPSs, Cell phones and with adapters radar detectors. Blue tooth is gonna hit the US bigtime in the next 18 months. If you don't already have a BT compatible gadget, you will!
Yeah, check it out here. Also look how much it costs for a two person set up.

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...cat=263&page=2
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2006, 6:30 pm

Earspeakers

I use Entymotic ER6i's... They are great, isolating most outside noise with out making you deaf, unless you want to listen to them really loud. The response is excellent, when inserted properly the bass is incredible and you can put you helmet on and take it off without upsetting them. Just watch that you don't tug the wires, that will mess up the seal and you can't fix it without taking your helmet off.

I found mine at Comp-u-plus, cheapest too!

http://www.compuplus.com/i-Etymotic-...-HEADSETS.html

Hope this helps...

Colin

2003 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue "Zebra"

Behold, the Bavarian Bullet!

2003 Yamaha FZ1
2000 HD XL1200C
1999 Honda VT750 Shadow ACE
1986 Honda CB450 Nighthawk
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:10 am
Noob

I purchased two sets of Motocom MC-555 in-helmet speakers for use with a set of cheap Uniden FRS radios I bought. They were supplied with a handlebar PTT button and an in-helmet mic as well. For a few dollars more I bought an adapter plug which allows me to plug into the headset outport of my small portable radio, so now I listen to the news on the way into work when I'm riding solo.
The speakers are perfectly fine for inter-bike comms and talk radio but lack the bass range for music. I was thinking it could be blamed on the cheap radio I am using, but I suspect its just a factor of the size of the speaker - it's hardly big enough to be a tweeter, let alone a woofer.
I do much prefer them to the ear-bud headphones I was using before, which really hurt when putting on or taking off the helmet and which would dislodge inside the helmet at the most inconvenient time. I also get more exterior noise with the speakers but considering the noise is often emergency vehicle sirens, car horns or crosswalk signals this is not a bad thing. I would recommend them. If you're interested in reading more check out
Motocomm at https://www.rflimited.com/Default.asp.

Now, in the same vein, I would be grateful if anyone could suggest the best method for wiring in a female stereo headset plug into the radio of a K1100LT, where one doesn't exist. I think my speakers would perform much better if they weren't plugged into my dollar store FM radio. (Honestly, I bought it for only $5 Cdn). Cheers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode