Baehr Ultima XL / K1200LT in GT possible? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 4:27 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Baehr Ultima XL / K1200LT in GT possible?

Does anybody know if the Baehr Ultima XL / K1200LT can fit somewhere in the GT? I currently own a K1200LT with this intercom, and I'm considering buying a new GT. Would be convenient to my wallet if I can reuse the Baehr.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2006, 8:16 pm
Statmaster

I can't see why not. Since there is no audio system on the GT, the barrel connector interface to the LT's audio system would remain unused in the GT. You might also PM raffyk because he is a Baehr dealer and might have some ideas for you.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2006, 5:40 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the answer. If I'm not mistaking, the barrel connector also provides the power for the Baehr, so either I will have to take the connector apart or I will have to make a male-female connection that provides the power.

I've seen this topic in the general GT forum, but that concerns the Ultima XL intercom on the spot of the alarm control box. If a BMW alarm is mounted under the seat, where would be the best place to place the intercom? The Ultima XL / K1200LT isn't the smallest intercom...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:34 pm
I'm riding

There is a special unit for GT avaliable in Baehr range now.
Cheers

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2007, 10:01 am
Noob

Pictures of a GT installation

Here is where I put an UltimaXL on my 2007 GT. This location required grinding down part of the seat pan near where the corners of the Baehr would otherwise interfere with it. One of the attached pictures show the ground area on one side of the seat pan. I was worried about overheating the Baehr given its proximity to the oil reservoir, but I've done two cross-country rides with ambient temps in the 90s (max was 98) with no problems so far.

I have it managing a two-way radio (Ham gear, seen in the picture), a Baehr Blue Phone (paired to my cell phone), and a direct connection to my BMW Nav III but the audio from that is way too low to be useful. Baehr tech support said that a direct connect to the Nav III will not work but I have not followed that up since I don't have a pressing need for that audio feed anyway.

One problem I did encounter was that if the Baehr's case touches any metal (notice the foam padding underneath it to prevent this), the audio was very noisy. Isolating it with this foam cured that.

Performance has been excellent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1191.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	6464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1192.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	6465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1194.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	6466  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2008, 8:54 am
Addict

I called Baehr and they said to order this cable (ZBI-CSAK-01-01 ) to use the LT specific intercom on the GT. It replaces the barrel connectors. I too am moving from LT to GT (today!) and have ordered from Raffy at motogear4you.com

Here is a link to the Baehr web page with the cable:

http://www.baehrusa.com/Cables_K1200LT.html#

It is second down on the right and costs $79.95 list

Hope that all helps. Will report how it works out as soon as I get it hooked up.

Larry

LT to GT Convert
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 1:33 pm
Noob

Baehr ultima XL placement on 1300GT

I installed my Baehr unit inside the left side panel of the K1300GT. The tabs are different where the rear of the front seat pan meet the back seat pan. Made a right angle aluminum bracket to keep from sliding out of the bottom. Installed a little padding on the frame side and one other rub spot. Comes right out when removal is needed. Now all I have to do is go through the long readjusting period.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode