Inside my Autocom - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2006, 7:44 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Inside my Autocom

I could really use some help identifying what each of the wires hook to in my seven pin lead from the Autocom to the headset. I am looking to connect ear plugs to my passanger outlet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2006, 8:06 pm
Statmaster

You can get an interface cable that will let you use earplug speakers (one with volume control, and one without). Look for the A7P and Auto 7 at the bottom of this web page:
http://www.plugup.com/autocom.php

Here is the coiled lead from Autocom
http://www.autocomamerica.com/produc...roductid/25785

Here is the straight lead from Autocom
http://www.autocomamerica.com/produc...roductid/25631

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2006, 11:21 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMulroy
I could really use some help identifying what each of the wires hook to in my seven pin lead from the Autocom to the headset. I am looking to connect ear plugs to my passanger outlet.
I have this drawing laying around and I believe it is one I drew up when I had the AutoCom 1187 cable box apart.

Looking at the pin-end (male) end of the cable and positioning the widest gap between the pins down (along with the large nub on the rubber connector) and counting the pins clockwise from the bottom 7 o'clock pin as pin #1 (no connection), Pin #2 goes to the tip of the 3 conductor stereo mini-plug. Pin #3 (about 10 o'clock position) goes to the middle conductor of the mini-plug. Pin#4 is Ground and goes to the upper part (nearest handle) of the 3 conductor stereo mini-plug. The metal part around the pins is not connected to anything (it isn't grounded). Pins #1, 5, 6, 7 aren't used. I believe those are for the mike and the ambient noise mike that controls the Auto-Volume which is in the rider's helmet. I don't know the pinouts on that as they pass through the circuit board in the 1187 cord.

Also, AutoCom added a small 1/4 watt 68 ohm resistor in series with a 100uf (10 volt) electrolytic capacitor on each of the leads to the tip and the center conductor of the stereo mini-plug. I may be mistaken about the 100uf value though as I didn't write that one down for some reason(?). I did note the polarity of the capacitor is with the negative lead of the capacitor going to the stereo mini-plug in both instances.

When I tried making mine up (dealer didn't have one at the time) it got a bit dicey with the stereo phone's in-line jack that I had (Radio Shack). If I twisted the cable, it would short out against another pin or wire and the thing's audio would cut in and out at the worst times. I didn't use the resistor or capacitor either that I later found in the AutoCom black box. Radio Shack also didn't have the 7 pin DIN, only a 5 pin. I got rushed and cut off a straight AutoCom 7 pin cord to get what I needed. I finally gave up and got the 1187 AutoCom cord later and dissected it to see what they did.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode