Baehr vs Autocom - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 9:21 am Thread Starter

Baehr vs Autocom

New to site, currently with K1200R and looking for audio system to talk to rider and music on my commutes. Lots on this site talk about Autocom, saw the Baehr system at the Cycle show recently. Does anyone have thoughts one vs the other as the Baehr system is somewhat more money, do you really get that much more for the money or is everyone happy with their Autocom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 6:59 pm

I have a Baehr. I am very happy with it so far. Very easy to use and install. Great sound.

Brian
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2006, 3:04 am

AutoCom

I have the AutoCom ActiveRider. My first 750 miles have been fraught with annoyance. The intercom mutes the music... so anything over 60mph and you can't hear the music. You can still hear the rider sitting pillion, but music-forget it. I'm underwhelmed with AutoCom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2006, 8:08 am
Strafist

The AutoCom Super Pro AVi is great. I rode with a 5 pin AutoCom for 6 years and the new one blows it out of the water. It has a seperate noise sensor that detects wind, speed, etc. and automatically adjusts the volume. The sound is crystal clear.

This unit can be adjusted for music fade, so any other inputs, phone, intercomm, etc. can kill the music entirely, or mute it to your liking.

What I really like is the seperate volume controls for rider/passenger. I can rock out and my wife can have it at her comfort level.

Vox is also adjustable.

I was unhappy with AutoCom, too. Wind, or just shutting the helmet activated the Vox. Nothing like riding several hundred miles listening to loud static. I called AutoCom, their tech support is great, seems I didn't install the noise sensor. Seems I ddin't even read the instructions, duh.

I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2006, 8:30 am
Rookie

Baehr

The Baehr is the best system I have used. Many complaints on the Autocom from my circle of riding buddies.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2006, 11:06 am
Addict

Been using an Autocom Active Plus for the past 3 days. Not long at all. I would say it is very functional, and I am still getting it adjusted just right. I had to decrease the mic sensitivity so the engine would not key the mic under hard acceleration, and also so heave breath would not key it. So far that worked well, and it still keys fine with my voice. Using a cell phone was fine, very little background noise to the other end even up to 75mph, and it was clear in my headset. The music was audible in my headset and muted at the appropriate times when I had an incoming call. Im sure it is not perfect, but it more then fits the bill.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2006, 11:52 am
Veteran

Having had a couple of AutoComs (older 5-pin and newer 7-pin Pro AVI), I must say they aren't the easiest thing to install as they have an abundance of cables - which can be a good or bad thing depending on which you need. It often overwhelms the dealers who often call AutoCom for questions. You can get into ground loop problems if you don't use one of their isolators as well with certain devices like radar detectors.

On the Can-Bus system, my dealer installed an AutoCom Auto-Switch which works very well and shuts the power supply down completely to the unit (like 0 milliamps draw). I needed to use another tap off it to supply the new Zumo and its GXM-30 XM antenna which worked well for that situation as well (I bumped the 2 amp slow-blow fuse in the Auto-Com switch box up to 4 amps just in case). For the life of me, I couldn't figure out the 4 wires of the older BMW Navigator II+ power cable lead so I just taped it off and buried it on the right side instead of trying to use it for the 2 wires of the Zumo.

If you use helmet speakers over in-ear jobs, the sound would be good. However, I found if I use their cable that has the earphone mini-jack and some good in-ear phones, the amps in the AutoCom do have a bit of a noise floor (hiss). It's not annoyingly loud and isn't noticeable when music is playing. The newer 7-pin seems to have more amp noise than the older 5-pin units, imo.

The AutoCom offers a lot of versatility though and a gaggle of their cables will cost as much as the unit (i.e. ground loop isolators, ear-phone cable, extensions, special 4-pin mini cables, cell-phone cabe, AutoSwitch, etc.)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2006, 6:17 pm

auto com headseat to baher and back

Need a little help if possible, I currently have the Baher system on my K1200GT. I just purchased a GS with an autocom system, is there any way to use one headset for both? Is there some kind of adapter or should I just opt for helmets set up for each? Or just sell the autocom and stick with Baher? Thanks!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2006, 2:17 am

Baehr....?

So it's unanimous? The Baehr gets more thumbs up than the Autocomm????

Christian
05 K1200S Yellow/Black
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2006, 10:55 am
Noob

Baehr/autocom

I called Autocom direct and they recommended, based on intended usage, the Active rider system. All I wanted was pillion and XM. What a mess! I have screwed around with this thing for 2 months now. Communication is lousy, set up XM but low volume was a joke, complained to Autocom, and they told me that this system requires additional "boost" for increased volume, recommended a "Boosteroo" inline amp. If I had known all this I would never have bought this product. I believe my install is ok. I am pissed generally because of my specific question to Autocom-" are you sure this is all I need?" and there answer was "yes", then when I complain they want me to buy an Amp! There, I have vented and will continue to try to get the most out of this system but I will not purchase their products again. Bucky, 06KGT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode