Autocom install question (again) on '03 GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 2:10 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Autocom install question (again) on '03 GT

I just got my new Active-Plus kit from Autocom and would like to do the install this week. I know this question has been asked extensively but I'm looking for a simple answer to how to connect the power lead. I know I can't connect to the brake circuit because of ABS, so what's the most common place to connect. Also, I'm not an electronics whiz so I don't understand relays which have been mentioned in other posts. I just want to find the right wire with which to connect. Thanks for your help and patience if I ask repetitive questions.

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:29 pm
Addict

Autocom install question (again) on '03 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
I just got my new Active-Plus kit from Autocom and would like to do the install this week. I know this question has been asked extensively but I'm looking for a simple answer to how to connect the power lead. I know I can't connect to the brake circuit because of ABS, so what's the most common place to connect. Also, I'm not an electronics whiz so I don't understand relays which have been mentioned in other posts. I just want to find the right wire with which to connect. Thanks for your help and patience if I ask repetitive questions.

Hello:

Would suggest you look at installing a separate fuse bus wired directly to the battery. In this way you can connect all of your accessories. I did this for my set up with both the fuse box and the autocom unit in the tool box area. I run my GPS, XM, Tank Bag (electified), Heated Seat (Russell Daylong), etc. through the box with a separate fuse for each accessory.

Hanshi
2007 BMW K1200LT (black)
2004 BMW K1200GT (grey-green, sold)
Reading, Pa, USA
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2007, 5:18 pm
Enthusiast

If you want a "keyed" switched power supply. The most common is the parking light. (gray with a black stripe wire). DO NOT use the brake light, the Ecu will read a fault with the ABS.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2007, 7:42 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizbz
If you want a "keyed" switched power supply. The most common is the parking light. (gray with a black stripe wire). DO NOT use the brake light, the Ecu will read a fault with the ABS.
Thanks for the reply. I will check that out. I was working on the install this weekend getting my leads run for cell phone and iPod and thought about using the license plate light which is grey with a blue lead. That's not somehow related to the parking light is it? Can't say I've ever turned on my parking light to look.

BTW, my Clymer manual that I bought has color wiring diagrams in the back and it shows the license plate light as green with yellow lead, which is wrong. I wonder how many others are wrong?

'03 K1200GT

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 7:49 pm
Veteran

My dealer recommended using AutoCom's Part #158 switch for the AutoCom. He said it cuts down some of the ignition noise as well as the noise from the ABS system. Same is stated in the manual that came with the AutoCom #158 switch which was designed for the BMW Can-Bus system.

Their switch box is wired direct to the battery, a trigger wire to the accessory socket +12 lead, and the output + and - leads go to the AutoCom. Doing it this way helps to cut down on troublesome ground loops as the unit lifts the ground side of the circuit from the bike frame.

The AutoCom part number is 158, called a "Direct Battery Connection, Fused Relay, Remote Triggered, Power lead." Don't know the price.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Looking for better limits...

Opted for the external radio "blade" for the Kenwood 3101. If a similar idea strikes your fancy, keep in mind you'll also need a female-to-female SMA connector. Normally shipped with the antenna, but according to the folks that answer the phone at Autocom, they don't always make it into the shipping box. However, I did find one at Fry's Electronics. Apparenly, there are some cell phones that use SMA connectors for the antenna, so if you're out looking for one, keep cell phone stores in mind as a source.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 4:26 pm
Enthusiast

Finished my autocom / Garmin Zumo install. I added a Centech AP-1 fuse box to power both. I tapped into the front parking light wire from behind the Left side factory fuse box. ( They have a tab that you push in where they are mounted and the whole box pulls out) The wire is the gray with a black line on my 04GT. (the parking light is that little bulb at the bottom of the head light cluster. I ran the negative directly to the battery. The autocom cable for the Zumo stereo lead had a built in noise suppressor. It is a box 1"X1"X3" Could not find a good place for it under the seat, so Velcro it under the left front fairing were the autocom cable went over the gas tank and back to the autocom. (Also Velcro these for maintenance use later.)

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 7:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizbz
Where did you run the ground for this setup? I pulled the Autocom off the K I just traded and want to put it on my 'new' K.

"We deal in lead, friend"
----------------------------
'04 K12RS (capri blue)
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'00 HD Road King
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 8:11 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Always run the ground directly to the battery. That's the most reliable ground source.

'03 K1200GT

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 8:36 am

Thanks!

"We deal in lead, friend"
----------------------------
'04 K12RS (capri blue)
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'00 HD Road King

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode