Anyone using Verizon phones with Autocom? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 1:30 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Anyone using Verizon phones with Autocom?

I just recently switched to Verizon from Nextel and I'm struggling with the issue of my phone won't ring thru the Autocom. The model is a Motorola V325i and I've spoken with Motorola and Verizon and both say it's not supposed to. I went to the Verizon store today and we tried EVERY phone in the store and none worked (yes my headset is good). A Zerizon technician said they told the phone manufacturers not to enable the ring thru the headset in order to prevent someone from getting hearing damage on a loud ring. But my wife's 2 year old Blackberry works.

Anyone else have this issue? I did some archive searching and found others having the problem but I wonder if other Verizon specific customers are dealing with it. I don't like to talk on the phone when riding but I have it hooked up just in case my wife needs to reach me. BTW, all the setting are correct on the phone so I know that's not the issue.

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 3:32 pm
Veteran

My car also has a Bluetooth interface. The dealer advised me not to use Verizon if I wanted to use the car's BT interface.

I went to the car's forum and it seemed true. For some reason, Verizon crippled or disabled their Bluetooth capabilities. This was a little over one year ago. Maybe their newer ones are working?

My AT&T cell phone works fine. Sounds pretty darn good too and doesn't cut out as much. My brother has a Motorola phone (also AT&T) and it seems his is always dropping calls with Bluetooth. My Nokia seems to hold onto it far better.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 3:42 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
I just recently switched to Verizon from Nextel and I'm struggling with the issue of my phone won't ring thru the Autocom. The model is a Motorola V325i and I've spoken with Motorola and Verizon and both say it's not supposed to. I went to the Verizon store today and we tried EVERY phone in the store and none worked (yes my headset is good). A Zerizon technician said they told the phone manufacturers not to enable the ring thru the headset in order to prevent someone from getting hearing damage on a loud ring. But my wife's 2 year old Blackberry works.

Anyone else have this issue? I did some archive searching and found others having the problem but I wonder if other Verizon specific customers are dealing with it. I don't like to talk on the phone when riding but I have it hooked up just in case my wife needs to reach me. BTW, all the setting are correct on the phone so I know that's not the issue.
I have a Verizon LG VX8300 phone, an Autocom, a Zumo GPS with Sat Radio and MP3, and a passenger with headset. Everything works fine except the cell phone must be wired to the Autocom to be able to send and receive calls.
If I connect the cell phone via bluetooth, I can receive calls and dial calls via the zumo, but I cannot speak in the mic and have the receiver hear me. The only way I can make calls and speak is if the cell is wired to the Autocom.
If you go on the www.Autocomamerica.com website, somewhere under support and downloads are 5 pages of explanation about the new cable they made that doesn't necessarly work so well. I chose not to go that route because it requires you to send the autocom to them for a quick fix.
You can also go on this forum http://zumoforums.com/zumo and get lots of good info. The site is about zumo gps, but there is a lot of autocom talk there.

I forgot to mention that I leave the cell phone on AUTOanswer. When someone calls, my autocom mutes the music and the caller says hello. Then i speak.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 8:15 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I'm trying to accept the fact that I have to rely on the music muting to know I have a call, but that's just stupid. BTW, this is not a Bluetooth issue, this relates only to the standard hardwired headset lead from the phone.

'03 K1200GT

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 3:40 pm
Veteran

Quote:
I'm trying to accept the fact that I have to rely on the music muting to know I have a call, but that's just stupid. BTW, this is not a Bluetooth issue, this relates only to the standard hardwired headset lead from the phone.
I know I've seen the Zumo screen pop up with an "incoming call accept or decline" message, and I know I've heard the phone ring through the headset while riding, but with all the configurations available for hook-ups, I don't know if the pop up was during blue tooth or not. My guess is that it was bluetooth.
Also, I could put the phone on "answer by pressing a button" and if I leave the phone in the tank bag map case, I can hear it ring and then push one of the outside buttons on the cell to answer it.
There really are too many options to give all the possible answers.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 7:15 am
Rookie

I have a Verizon Treo 700p. When it is hardwired to the Autocom unit I can hear it ring through the unit (even when it is set on vibrate.)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 3:45 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccieurzo
I have a Verizon Treo 700p. When it is hardwired to the Autocom unit I can hear it ring through the unit (even when it is set on vibrate.)
How long have you had your Treo? My wife's Blackberry from Verizon ring thru my Autocom also and she has had that for a couple of years. I found from my visit to the Verizon store last month that the new Blackberry will not ring thru. Nor would any other phone they had. Apparently this is a new programming issue that Verizon has instructed the manufacturers to enact (as suggested to me by a Verizon tech person).

'03 K1200GT

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 4:10 pm
Veteran

I leave my verizon on "auto answer" and when someone calls they say "hello" and we can talk. i do not use bluetooth.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 8:50 pm

I have a verizon phone and an autocom system that doesn't ring on incoming calls. Occassionally, it was like having a bout of schizophrenia - suddenly there would be just a disembodied voice asking if I was "in". Unfortunately, I also have a foul mouth and a tendency to express my opinions about other drivers. I knew it would all converge on me at some point. Last fall, the phone picked up just as I was telling the [less intelligent ] [driver] in front of me to [proceed forward]. My wife, on the other end, was startled, but not surprised. She's ridden with me before. She asked if I was ok. I said yes, except the [less intelligent ] [driver] in front of me refused to [proceed forward]. Glad it wasn't my boss calling.

Matt

2006 K1200R
2001 Moto Guzzi Cal Special
1998 Triumph T-Bird Sport
1976 Schwinn Stingray
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 8:42 pm
Rookie

Quote:
How long have you had your Treo?
I picked it up in July of 2006. It would not surprise me if Verizon found another way to screw up its equipment. That is one of the multitude of reasons I am cancelling as soon as my contract is up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode