Which Autocom unit? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm Thread Starter

Which Autocom unit?

Looking at getting an Autocom unit for a K1200GT (NG). Went to their site and I see 3 different models, the Easi-PUS, the Active-PLUS and the Super Pro AVi. I want to hook up a Valentine and a Zumo (maybe an iPod in the future). I generally ride by myself.

Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 2:17 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDon
Looking at getting an Autocom unit for a K1200GT (NG). Went to their site and I see 3 different models, the Easi-PUS, the Active-PLUS and the Super Pro AVi. I want to hook up a Valentine and a Zumo (maybe an iPod in the future). I generally ride by myself.
Any recommendations?
The Zumo/Autocom still has issues among those in the Zumo forums who also use the Bluetooth side of it. Some say the 1299 Zumo cable from Autocom doesn't work well volume wise. Others say it works better to keep the mono cell phone traffic off the stereo channels. If so, that'll take two inputs. Garmin released version 3.3 update yesterday for the Zumo and Autocom says it helps, but not enough. So maybe two inputs are still needed? The red sheet with their #1299 cable says you may need to send it to them for some internal mods if you intend to use the Bluetooth function and want better cell phone volume.

Stereo works very well and I prefer using in-ear monitors than their speakers which sound pretty lousy in the wind. They have a stereo-min jack lead to address that. Your call on that.

If you want separate volume adjustments (i.e. rider/passenger) the Pro Avi is the answer along with less amplifier noise and the ability to adjust the volume based on the wind noise in your helmet (it has another mike specially for that purpose that you bury into the back of the helmet's foam).

You still are wise to get an Autocom isolation cable for each audio device that you power off the bike if you also run the Autocom off the bike's power as well. Audio gets static-sounding and low volume if ground loops occur. Autocom should have had isolated inputs by now but still haven't so you need a $50 cable for each device (they have some dual ones now which are cheaper than two singles).

You may also need that special "audio box" for the V1 to get a feed to the Autocom. It may not need an isolation cable, but you'll know if it does when you plug the cable into the Autocom while you have music playing.

Another issue is the bike's Can-Bus power. The installation dealer installed some Autocom Can-Bus Power Relay (part #1598 I think) so the unit and accessories wired into it will shut off with the ignition switch much like a car, otherwise it may stay on for a while after you turn the key off - or maybe just stay on period. I believe it was fused to run 1-2 amps of accessories and supposedly, according to the data sheet with it, also filters out some ignition noise.. The Autocom doesn't take much power to run.

I don't know but the Pro Avi kit isn't that much more than the others. It's just all their cables that will run up a larger, maybe even larger, bill.

Also, don't be surprised if your dealer has some problems trying to figure out how many and what cables you'll need. Some get sort of flustered and end up calling Autocom which is probably the better route. You may want to speak to Autocom and tell them what you are planning to run and then have the dealer check his catalog to see if it matches up. Some dealers are pretty knowledgeable about them if they also use them, but that person is sometimes the owner.

When it all comes together, it really is a great addition and will probably last as long as your bike. Mine do.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 8:30 am
Enthusiast

To add to what GMack said, I have the Active-Plus on my '03 GT and I chose that because it has the ability to do bike-2-bike, music, phone, etc. and works off true VOX. The easi-Plus does not and that's a big minus in my book. I do have seperate volume contols for rider and passenger which is also very useful. Check the Autocom website and look at the compare models feature which will show you all the differences.

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 10:56 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys, likely won't be purchasing till around July or so as the bike won't be here till August. I plan to do the installation myself. I have a Gold WIng and I've installed aftermarket CD PLayers, XM Radios and other devices so feel OK with that.

For power distribution I plan to set up a power distribution block that runs off a relay which is triggered from that CANBUS outlet which stays on for a few seconds. That way I can power the Zumo, Valentine, some lights I'll add later and likely something else at sometime. I'm expecting that I can suck power right from the battery for the relay - any reason why I can't? This bypasses the CANBUS system except using it as a trigger for energizing the power distribution block.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 11:38 am

Post Autocom

Guy's,

After trying them all the best way to go is Bluethoot....Dainese helmet provides you with this great technologie. I beleive tha tsooner than we think all helmets company (Shoei, Arai etc) will provide the same. Also Nolan gives you the same option. Bluethoot give s you the opportunity to be connected to an other helmet from the same company with a distance of 100 feet max. It work vere very well and it hooks up to your cellular. So you can take a call and it is cellular quality. Unbeatable....You cant have long distance calls on a Autocom......

Cheers.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

I want stereo music and I want it for 24 hours at a stretch (yes I have ridden for that long). The 7 hour or so limit with batteries for bluetooth don't cut it except for a casual afternoon ride. When I go out, it is routinely for all day rides which are 8, 10, 12+ hours and in cases such as Mexico to Canada I'll ride longer than 12 hours and the longer I ride the more valuable GPS directions become.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 7:06 pm

Well,

I beleive you can fix those issues. Bluetooth gives you the opportunity to listen to music also or your GPS turn by turn. For the baterie just plug in the helmet to the bike with all the rest of the gadjets...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2007, 7:37 am
Veteran

I have the Super Pro AVi and the middle of the road one. Both are excellent and worht the money. I bought the middle one first and used it off a 9V battery. The battery lasted about 9 hours. Because I wanted the automatic VOX, I bought the Super Pro.

The Zumo has MP3 that runs of SD disks. I also have an XM sat radio with the Zumo and it is great. In-ear speakers are worh the cost. Helmet speakers are only ok, and annoying when you put on the helmet because your ears don't flip over in the ear space.

My cell phone works well. I can receive calls. If I want to call out, I have to stop and dial the number on the phone. If autocom gets it all working one day, I'll be able to dial and ride if that is what I want to do.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2007, 11:59 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgs
Well,

I believe you can fix those issues. Bluetooth gives you the opportunity to listen to music also or your GPS turn by turn. For the baterie just plug in the helmet to the bike with all the rest of the gadjets...
But then you're back to wiring it to the bike which defeats the purpose of owning it in the first place.

All the Bluetooth stuff I have don't last very long. The cell phone can go several days unless I turn on its Bluetooth and then it's dead in one day.

I'm not to game into finding a place to plug in rechargeable batteries as is, especially while camping. I noticed while camping in a National park the mini-store had some 20 phones and cameras plugged into a strip AC line behind the register charging since the campgrounds had no power.

I prefer stereo to the mono units that seem to be the mainstay of Bluetooth. I also prefer in-ear phones over helmet speakers as they help quite down the wind noise. That in-ear cable has to go somewhere until they invent an "In-ear" Bluetooth.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2008, 12:38 am

Which autocom?

I just picked up and am very pleased with the results of a pair of CAMOS motorcom Bluetooth headsets. It works with just about anything bluetooth: phone, music player, intercom, two way radio. I'm using the intercom and music function. It does stereo very nicely and intercom works well at the 40 feet distance tried so far so could be a good bike to bike also. It comes with speakers to mount in the helmet, this was most time consuming since I'm kinda anal about comfort and sound quality so I cut in and removed some foam and re-sewed up. It comes with a boom mic or a mic you can just stick to the front of a full face. There is noise canceling on the mic's and I'm just happy with it. You charge the units from a wall charger which is fine with me. My wife's idea of camping involves Hilton Hotels so there's always an outlet around. I spent a lot of time messing with wired stuff on my 98 LT and now the 04 GT is sounding good while it screams and a whole lot easier to install.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

digxrayguy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode