bike to bike - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2005, 8:28 pm Thread Starter

bike to bike

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not ,, but the g/f wants to invest in bike to bike communication . Auotcom looks like you need more parts than the chatterbox set up ???
Chatterbox looks like a nice easy set up ???
So which one ?? and how well do either of them work ?
Thanks ,, Stevie B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2005, 8:50 pm

Sure it's a good idea. But, if all you want is solo bike-to-bike, you really don't need anything but radios and headsets.

As for more parts with the Autocomm, it's because it does more. If you want additional audio inputs including bike-to-bike with good performance, most will recommend going with an Autocomm, Starcom or Baehr. Most likely you'll be buying one of these later if you go with anything else. All three perform very well - the choice is primarily one of cost.

I've got no experience with chatterbox, but have used the Autocomm and Starcom units - both perform beautifully.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 11:31 am

We are using Autocom headsets (to get good noise reduction and prevent false triggering of the VOX) with Motorola FRS radios (59xx series I think). I made up an adapter from the AutoCom DIN plug to the plug on the radio. They've worked great for a couple of years, since Theresa started riding. Good to a couple of miles apart in good conditions. Relatively inexpensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 12:26 pm
Enthusiast

Chatterbox radios have served us well for many years.

The earlier model HJC-FRS is undoubtedly the easiest to operate, and has very good range. The later "X" models have complex controls that do not lend themselves to 'amatuer' operators. Once acclaimated to the headset, clear communication up to about 60-65 mph, you can pay more and GET more from Auto-com and others.

I have worked with 'handheld' FRS radios riding in a tankbag/attached to a headset but I do not like being tethered via a wire, just one more thing to do/undo prior to taking off.

IMHO, the radio attached to the helmet is the way to go..........

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 6:46 pm

We just stick the radios in the pockets of the riding jackets.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 6:30 am
Enthusiast

I have the Auto-Com setup using Kenwood radios. I have had it for two years and all works perfect. I did not hard wire any of the equipment. At the time I had another bike and wanted to swap easily. I electrified the tank bag and run power from the accessory outlet. I do not run any of the equipment on batteries. They just don't last. Auto-Com had all the needed hardware to run everything off the bike. I have riding friends that use Chatterbox. As stated previously they work well with limits. It will depend on your budget and what performance you need. If you want no issues go with Auto-Com. You will certainly pay more but the old saying you get what you pay for is true with this equipment.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2005, 2:46 pm

Thumbs down Chatterbox LAME with Cell phones

I bought a Chatterbox from some knucklehead outfit in California that (it turns out) also sells martial arts equipment . My primary reason for getting it was so I could use my cell phone (receive calls & talk, never dial out...) while on long trips. The Chatterbox worked fine with a CD player, and for intercom, but the supposed cell phone integration was worthless. After screwing around with their tech support , buying additional/replacement cables, and even swapping the entire unit with the factory, I ended up returning the whole thing.

The caveat is that there are only specific phones that will work correctly. They told me mine WOULD work before I purchased it. No dice. In addition, with all of the return hassles, I ended up being charged multiple times for a product that I had returned, so I had to challenge the charge on my credit card, then some *&^%!## in their A/R department called me more than once to give me a load of &*^%!

Why doesn't BMW (or anyone else!) make a better line of integrated products that actually work! I've seen these exotic European products that look like they have 50 wires coming out of them

Anyone have recommendations for something that will work for a cell phone first and foremost, then audio (CD), GPS, and intercom?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2005, 9:44 pm
Enthusiast

I have an Autocom Pro7. For fun I hooked up my cell phone, put it in auto-answer while standing in the garage with my helmet on and had my wife call me. It works.

Bill

'04 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue
'05 R1200GS Red
'07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2005, 10:07 pm
Enthusiast

I have the Pro 7 as well and have been using my cell phone for over a year. Works perfect every time. You don't need an isolator because the phone runs off its own battery. I have been on the highway cruising over 80mph and have had no problems receiving or talking.
Bruce
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2005, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

Just picked up 2 X1's ! We'll see come spring time . It makes sence to me ,, no extra wires
to fart with , right on the helmet nice and neat like . Hopefully Chatterbox has listened to some of the responces from buyers and made some adjustments to what I think is a good idea .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode